Mobil 1 recommends 0w20 instead of 5w20?

This is for my 2018 Dodge Durango R/T, I’ve been leaning towards switching over to Mobil 1 EP as I continue to hear great things about it for an off the shelf oil that’s easily accessible. When I looked up the oil application guide direct through their website, they recommend the 0W20 Ep instead of the 5w20 that mine calls for. I know I hear the 0W20 Ep is supposed to be a better quality oil, is that the reason they are recommending it?

When I emailed them to inquire, I just got a very generic answer back that didn’t answer my question at all lol. So given that they have the same viscosity at normal operating temp, does it make sense to move over to the 0w20 for the better base stock? My wife’s Jeep also calls for 0w20, so this would be easy for stocking up.

Last edited:
All else equal, narrower viscosity spreads are more shear stable (e.g. 10w30 more than 5w30). So one might expect a 5w20 to be better than a 0w20. But all else is not necessarily equal. Every 0w20 I've seen is synthetic - I've never seen a 0w20 mineral oil. With 5w20, it could be either synthetic or mineral. A 0w20 synthetic may well be more shear stable and overall better than a 5w20 mineral oil.

Many cars that recommend 0w20, also allow 5w30 and 5w20 to be used -- in that order. Like my Mazda says use 0w20 but if you can't get that, use 5w30 and you can use 5w20 but only if neither of the other 2 are available. In order of preference, it's 0w20 > 5w30 > 5w20.

All that said, the answer depends on how you view the owner's manual oil recommendations. If you believe they come straight from the engineers who designed the engine, then use 0w20. If you believe the recommendations come from corporate lawyers who believe EPA rules are more important than engine durability and overrode the engineers, then use 5w30.

As I read the question the OP is not really making this a thick or thin discussion, I think he’s asking if the base stocks in Mobil 1 0W-20 EP are better than the stocks in an unknown 5W-20.

All else equal, narrower viscosity spreads are more shear stable (e.g. 10w30 more than 5w30). So one might expect a 5w20 to be better than a 0w20. But all else is not necessarily equal. Every 0w20 I've seen is synthetic - I've never seen a 0w20 mineral oil. With 5w20, it could be either synthetic or mineral. A 0w20 synthetic may well be more shear stable and overall better than a 5w20 mineral oil.

Many cars that recommend 0w20, also allow 5w30 and 5w20 to be used -- in that order. Like my Mazda says use 0w20 but if you can't get that, use 5w30 and you can use 5w20 but only if neither of the other 2 are available. In order of preference, it's 0w20 > 5w30 > 5w20.

All that said, the answer depends on how you view the owner's manual oil recommendations. If you believe they come straight from the engineers who designed the engine, then use 0w20. If you believe the recommendations come from corporate lawyers who believe EPA rules are more important than engine durability and overrode the engineers, then use 5w30.
The owners manual is pretty strict in not using anything thicker than a 5w20 due to the mds system in the hemis, claiming it may cause it to malfunction. Being that I’m still under warranty, I won’t stray to anything thicker. I’m not an oil expert by any means, just from what I’ve read on here, specifically the Mobil 1 EP, the 0w20 uses a much higher percentage of PAO vs any other grade they offer. I’m currently running a 5w20 but I have stock of some 0w20 Ep on sale since our Jeep calls for it anyways.

As I read the question the OP is not really making this a thick or thin discussion, I think he’s asking if the base stocks in Mobil 1 0W-20 EP are better than the stocks in an unknown 5W-20.
To be more specific, I’m wondering if Mobil 1 is recommending the 0w20 over 5w20 due to the better base stocks as they offer their EP line in both weights but are choosing to recommend the thinner one.

To be more specific, I’m wondering if Mobil 1 is recommending the 0w20 over 5w20 due to the better base stocks as they offer their EP line in both weights but are choosing to recommend the thinner one.
Who knows the recommendation. It might just be because this covers all climates regardless of the expected starting temperature.

The answer to that is probably needs to be from Mobil Oil directly.
Everything here will be speculation and opinions.
Unless somebody who work for Mobil can chime in.

Since the number in front of the W is just the Winter rating, and both oils are xW-20, there should be no reason for it not to be equally appropriate. FCA (now Stellantis) has changed to 0w-20 in more recent applications anyways, so that may also weigh in to the recommendation.

Mobil used to indicate that their AFE 0w-20 and 0w-30's were suitable for any application calling for a 5w-20 or 5w-30 with the same approvals, so that may also play-in here as well.

The answer to that is probably needs to be from Mobil Oil directly.
Everything here will be speculation and opinions.
Unless somebody who work for Mobil can chime in.
As I said in the original post, I did email them directly and got a very generic answer.

I replied back asking again why the 0w20 was recommended over the 5w20 in the first place, which I never got answer back.
Based on what you've told us, your vehicle manufacturer recommends a 5W-20 viscosity and oil that meets Chrysler MS-6395. A 0W-20 viscosity can also be used in case 5w-20 cant be found. We offer these motor oils to help protect your vehicle.

Since the number in front of the W is just the Winter rating, and both oils are xW-20, there should be no reason for it not to be equally appropriate. FCA (now Stellantis) has changed to 0w-20 in more recent applications anyways, so that may also weigh in to the recommendation.

Mobil used to indicate that their AFE 0w-20 and 0w-30's were suitable for any application calling for a 5w-20 or 5w-30 with the same approvals, so that may also play-in here as well.
That’s my line of thinking as well, and with the 0w20 using a better base stock, has a higher flash point and lower pour point, I don’t see any reason not to use it in place of 5w20. But I wanted to double check, I drive my Durango pretty spiritedly lol

That’s my line of thinking as well, and with the 0w20 using a better base stock, has a higher flash point and lower pour point, I don’t see any reason not to use it in place of 5w20. But I wanted to double check, I drive my Durango pretty spiritedly lol
Use it with confidence, we drive the crap out of our truck too, lol.

0w and 5w20 pretty much interchangeable if real frigid temps going to be expected then yes 0w20 may win hearts. I wouldn't sweat it whatever you can get your hands on.

0w and 5w20 pretty much interchangeable if real frigid temps going to be expected then yes 0w20 may win hearts. I wouldn't sweat it whatever you can get your hands on.
Temps dont get too extreme here, whats winning me over is the high percentage PAO used in the 0w20. It was 60-70% vs 20-30% in the 5w20. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something else in this equation before switching over.

Didn't Fiat/Stellantis issue a TSB for the 3.6 to start using 0W20?
im not sure what years you’re referring to. The redesigned 3.6 PUG engine only calls for 0w20. Our 2019 wrangler says 0w20 right on the cap. my question is in regards to my 18 Durango with the 5.7 Hemi

Edit: sorry I realize my signature was very outdated, I assume you were referring to my old van lol

Last edited:

It's not a thick vs thin discussion because at operating temperature those two oils are going to be the same viscosity.

If it were me, and I had another vehicle using 0w20, I'd harmonize on a high quality 0w20 and wouldn't worry about it. Particularly if I lived in a part of B.C. where it gets cold (the inland north I would assume).

Back