Mobil 1 Recommendations for a Volvo Turbo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by GeorgeCLS:
Regarding the Mobil 1 0W-40. As Johnny has indicated, this new Mobil 1 has some neat new trick chemistry. I have reviewed recent results from several Porsche Twin Turbos that have been run pretty brutally and the 0W-40 is right on vis and in 2 cases a significant decrease in wear metals occured after they switched from Mobil 1 15W-50..
Yes, Mobil 1 0W-40 can be a challenge to find. If you cannot find it locally, it is available at AVlube.com which you can get to via Bob's Order Page.
George

Were these Porsches using the Supersyn or Trisyn formula?

I may be wrong but I don't think the 0w40 was available in the old TriSynthetic, I think it just
came out with the release of SuperSyn. I don't recall seeing 0w40 on Mobil 1's website
until recently.

The Mobil 1 0W40 was available in TriSynthetic formula. At that time the only place you could get it was at a Mercedes Benz or Porsche dealer. And when it first came out, it was only available in a 55 gallon drum.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I may be wrong but I don't think the 0w40 was available in the old TriSynthetic, I think it just
came out with the release of SuperSyn. I don't recall seeing 0w40 on Mobil 1's website
until recently.

I have a bottle of Trisynthetic 0W40 sitting in my trunk. It has been around for a while.

Dbrowne,

I noticed that you have a VW/Audi 1.8 engine and Iam curious as to whether you have ever considered running the 5w-40 Mobil Delvac in it. Ted and few others on this board seem rather high on it. I may consider it for my wife's Volvo but I'm wondering if you heard of any stories about how it has performed in the VW 1.8 engine.

VeeDub,

We have actually discussed this, but Doug is concerned about the additive levels in Delvac 1, specifically the phosphorus content and sulphated ash (1.3%) level. My opinion based on years of using Amsoil is that this is a non-issue. I would expect very low oil consumption with Delvac 1 in a newer engine ....

Ted

quote:

Originally posted by VeeDubb:
Dbrowne,

I noticed that you have a VW/Audi 1.8 engine and Iam curious as to whether you have ever considered running the 5w-40 Mobil Delvac in it. Ted and few others on this board seem rather high on it. I may consider it for my wife's Volvo but I'm wondering if you heard of any stories about how it has performed in the VW 1.8 engine.

I have considered it, but I am actually more impressed with the 0W40 than the Delvac-1. I have never used Delvac-1, and I have not seen any analysis results from a 1.8T. It seems to work very well in the VW Turbo Diesels though. I imagine it would work very well, although as Ted says, I have some reservations about its higher additive levels causing long term problems in catalytic convertors (same issue I have with Amsoil). It might be a non-issue, but my 400 cell performance cat is not going to be the test bed.

Hey Ted- FYI, it's "Dave" not "Doug"
wink.gif

Dave,

Sorry about the mixup with the names ...old age I guess!

BTW, the xw-40 and xw-50 grades are not required to meet API limits on phosphorus content in order to be licensed. I have seen quite a few 0w-40 and 5w-40 synthetics that have P levels of > 1000 ppm. I can run Amsoil for 10k-12k miles in my Toyota and not burn any oil, so I'm really not concerned about the fact that it has higher levels of detergent/dispersant and anti-wear additives than other synthetics. I'd rather have the improved wear protection and engine cleanliness over long drain intervals ....

Ted

55 gallon drum? I guess the way some European cars burn oil though, that would be sufficient for one oil change interval.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back