Mobil 1 Racing 4T… in a Prius?!

72872B11-BCB7-4D0D-88C9-EDABFD73FAEE.jpeg
0F7A02AB-3F60-4A43-93F8-810D7E0034F7.jpeg

My beater-with-a-heater ‘07 Prius with 190K has a bit of a drinking problem like most 2nd gen Prii, so it often times gets a frankenbrew of leftovers.

I found a case of Racing 4T in the back of the garage that I forgot about. It’s from circa 2005-ish, quarts are still sealed.

The cat in my beloved Silver Bullet (Prius) died long ago.

You guys think this stuff would be OK to use?

I wouldn't, your car is an '07 and most likely needs SM rated oil which is for vehicles 2004-2011 and that stuff is SH which is 1993-1996.

I'd save it for your motorcycle if you still have one or use it in the lawnmower.

You're not going to have a problem with phosphorus poisoning of the catalyst at that consumption. Just watch the winter rating and make sure it is appropriate for your expected starting conditions, generally a temperature over 0 degrees F.
He mentioned the CAT being dead long ago in the OP.

I use that stuff in my motorcycles, being older I wonder if it’s from back when full synthetic was really fully synthetic. I’d offer to buy it from you if we didn’t have to ship it.

I might suggest listing it locally as I'm sure quite a few bikers would pay good money for that oil.

It won't be ideal for MT winters, but it will work just fine in a Prius. There are a great many Prius owners using higher viscosity oils once their engines start consuming oil. Some Prius owners have even been able eliminate the consumption and extend engine life far beyond what was expected.

It won't be ideal for MT winters, but it will work just fine in a Prius. There are a great many Prius owners using higher viscosity oils once their engines start consuming oil. Some Prius owners have even been able eliminate the consumption and extend engine life far beyond what was expected.
Yeah, I was thinking more of using it this summer. We should have about 3 months before it’s below zero again. 😁

I’ve also got a bunch of various 0w-20 leftovers that I need to use up, so I was thinking 2 qts. of the 4T mixed with 2 qts. of 0w-20 per oil change.

Firstly, I'd save a quart or two for a mancave display, it might actually be worth something at this point or will be.

The rest I would use for top off. I'd consider using Mobil 1 HM in 5W-30 when they start the rebate in a couple weeks (hopefully) and maybe mix it in or use it to top off 1 qt. every 4K.

Yeah, I was thinking more of using it this summer. We should have about 3 months before it’s below zero again. 😁

I’ve also got a bunch of various 0w-20 leftovers that I need to use up, so I was thinking 2 qts. of the 4T mixed with 2 qts. of 0w-20 per oil change.

You could do that, but winter might not be much of a concern in any case, the current version has a -48C pour point and seems to pump pretty well in cold cranking. The 2005 vintage may have been even lower...

You could do that, but winter might not be much of a concern in any case, the current version has a -48C pour point and seems to pump pretty well in cold cranking. The 2005 vintage may have been even lower...
It was -54C, and aparently before 2006 or so it was known as MX4T then rebranded to racing 4t
1652632088171.jpg

1652632131794.jpg

Back