Mobil 1 R to be Non-API Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spoke with Matt at the Mobil 1 Tech line and he confirmed that the oil will not be API Certified, which is a good thing. He said alot more Zinc/Phosphorus will be in the oil. So it sounds more and more like Mobil's version of Amsoil's Series 2000 only I expect it to be much better. I hope.

To heck with the API, another A3 rated oil with plenty of ZDDP, that's a good thing. This will help Mobil close the gap with Amsoil. As an Amsoil user, this will give me (the consumer) more choices. Secondly, Amsoil will have to step up their game with a better product to stay in the lead. A win, win for the consumer.

GC isn't API rated either ..... as I have always said API rating is not a performance indicator, just an indicator of environmental friendliness and energy efficiency.

I like my oils to be Non-API certified.

quote:

Keep us up to date buster! Thanks!

Will do. We know now it can't be factory fill in any cars, which doesn't matter bc we all change are own oil anyway.

So far all we know is that this oil uses alot more ZDDP and a advanced Base Stock that Mobil won't sell to any other blender, including Amsoil. Should be interesting. I will be buying this oil as soon as George Morrison gets it. I want to send a VOA right away.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
So it sounds more and more like Mobil's version of Amsoil's Series 2000 only I expect it to be much better. I hope.

dunno.gif
thumbsdown.gif
I would seriously doubt that it would be equal or better than the Series 2000. I would doubt that Mobil 1 would put the money necessary to make a product with better basestocks and the best additives.

Just adding more ZDDP to an oil does not necessarily make it better. I would probably look at a fair comparison to Amsoil's acient ARO/AMO formulations.

msparks, it is the EXACT oil that Team Penske uses in NASCAR. Rusty Wallace and Ryan Newman are using it in place of the 5w-50wt Mobil oils. It's Mobil's racing oil. I have total confindence this oil will be better then S2k. They are bringing it out for people that are not satisfied with the regular Mobil 1 and that have higher HP cars. It also uses a base stock that Mobil doesn't sell to anyone.
smile.gif

[ December 11, 2003, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

buster,
I really don't mean to burst your bubble, but aren't you getting ahead of yourself a bit?
I think we are a long way from proving anything about this oil. GC has been out for a while and we are just now begining to collect data. GC seems promising, but we don't have enough UOAs yet, much less this new Mobil R. It sounds good and it would definitely be a win-win for us the consumer, but I would like us to take this oil step by step, unlike the GC stuff.
wink.gif

I know from past readings the ZDDP/catalytic convertor poisoning issue is controversial, but, given that federal emissions standards mandate that the auto manufacturers warrant catalytic convertors for 8 yrs./80,000 miles, there could be some "hot" car owners when they get the news the premature death of their convertors' warranty claims are denied. (regardless what really caused the fault) Use of a non-API approved oil might just be the ticket to that denial. There is evidence on both sides of this issue, so an arbitrator or judge will have a tough call to make. Someone will be disappointed when that happens on case-by-case rulings. You can bet where the auto manufacturers' legal guns will be on this issue, and they'll have their employers' policy of not using high-ZDDP motor oils as factory fill to back them up. The API and ILSAC won't be far behind. And, where will ExxonMobil be in these cases? Probably out of sight, but if forced to testify, I would imagine the company would claim that the "R" stands for closed-course "racing" - not "street". Like it or not, the API (gosh, isn't that organization funded and manned by oil company people?) is fast becoming a quasi-extension of the EPA.

quote:

I really don't mean to burst your bubble, but aren't you getting ahead of yourself a bit?

I'll admit it, I am getting way ahead of myself.
grin.gif

Z the reason why is because we will finally have an oil on the shelf that is actually used by racing teams. It's the real deal and if it's good enough for a NASCAR engine, it's good enough for me.
smile.gif

[ December 11, 2003, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

I don't know how you can call this oil the "real deal" when no one really has much info on this oil other than a few press releases and Mobil's tech support which I don't put much faith in because of my own dealings with them. I would wait until its in use by the public for awhile before I would call it anything. Whats good for a racing engine is not necessary good for an everyday driver.

Wayne

quote:

quote:

I'll admit it, I am getting way ahead of myself.
grin.gif

Z the reason why is because we will finally have an oil on the shelf that is actually used by racing teams. It's the real deal and if it's good enough for a NASCAR engine, it's good enough for me.
smile.gif

This is something else I'm leary of. I have a hard time believing this oil is EXACTLY what a NASCAR racer would use. Is this the qualifying oil or the race oil?

Whoa!!! Just a minute...GC IS API rated...it's an "SL". It's just not "energy conserving"...but, neither is any other oil over a 40 weight....

quote:

msparks, it is the EXACT oil that Team Penske uses in NASCAR. Rusty Wallace and Ryan Newman are using it in place of the 5w-50wt Mobil oils.

Ya UND? And how many race teams are already using Amsoil? I'm sure there is more than one, you know they are not stupid. Anyhow I'm not getting into a pissing contest about it, But I find nothing wrong with Amsoil's performance both in drain interval and actual engine protection during all aspects of operation, towing, racing, cold, hot, mild, wet, trucks, cars, motorcycles, and what not.

I guess I'm biased for a reason, but until some runs Mobil 1 20,000 30,000 40,000+ miles then we will talk.

I wonder why Mobil wont do _any_ sort of API certification. Im sure at least SF/SG dont have any limits on AW additives?

Leo,

The API, SH spec had a 1200 ppm cap on P level ....Since P and Zinc are chemically combined in a ratio of approx 0.8:1.0, that put max Zinc levels at about 1500 ppm. This was actually the level the Amsoil 5w-30 and 10w-30 were running at before their last reformulation. They have since added some boron and reduced the ZDDP levels a bit.

I did think of a new slogan though for my homeboys at EM:

"Nothing Beats Mobil 1 ..UH, Except Perhaps For Mobil 1R?"
confused.gif

It will be amusing to see how they spin that one ....LOL!

Tooslick - and too cynical apparently
Dixie Synthetics

The oil can be used in street cars, they have already stated that.

msparks, Mobil 1 is just as capable of hitting 25k + mile drains as Amsoil. Have you looked at some of the past UOA's? As far as Amsoil being used in the racing circle, I only know of Amsoil being used in snow mobile's and other small racing events. 74% of NASCAR is using Mobil 1, not Amsoil. There are two extended drains with Mobil 1 out to 17k miles and one with 30K miles that are actually very good. Amsoil is NO more capable at this point of extended drains then Mobil 1. And there TBN number is wrong of Mobil 1!! It's not 8.7. Why does't Amsoil send these oils out to some independent lab other then AJ's son's lab? Amsoil has some shaddy marketing and I think they spin some of their numbers.
rolleyes.gif

I'll tell you why it's the real deal, because George Morrison said it is. He has already seen and sold this oil not to mention Rusty Wallace is using it.
wink.gif

[ December 12, 2003, 08:24 AM: Message edited by: buster ]

I agree about the marketing crap. Amsoil is an awesome oil, and I even use it in my honda turbo ski(10w40). Although, I also use m1 0w20, and I have no complaints, no consumption, no added noise with this oil. W/e synthetic you go with, you will be happy with, but again, amsoil does not need to bash mobil 1 to market their product. And since they like to compare other products, why haven't they compared redline oil?
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back