Mobil 1 R to be Non-API Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I spoke with Matt at the Mobil 1 Tech line and he confirmed that the oil will not be API Certified, which is a good thing. He said alot more Zinc/Phosphorus will be in the oil. So it sounds more and more like Mobil's version of Amsoil's Series 2000 only I expect it to be much better. I hope.

Hahaha, duh I finally figured it out. Your trying to get my goat. I guess you succeeded in doing so.

Congrats. You won.

Man, you Amsoil guys are getting so defensive over this new Mobil oil. I guess I would too.
wink.gif
Maybe Amsoil can compare it to S2k and use some cool bar graph showing how it's superior in table saws.

Lighten up guys, it's only oil. Plus I'm sure Amsoil will reformulate if it does turn out to be much better then S2k.
smile.gif
cheers.gif

[ December 12, 2003, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

>>And since they like to compare other products, why haven't they compared redline oil?

Well, part of it could be that Redline, Neo, Royal Purple and the like are not major contenders. Almost none of the public has even heard of them, much less seen them. And almost everyone likes to see a relatively small company pick on the big guys.

Mobil has been supplying PAO and/or Ester basestocks to Amsoil for over 20 years, and annual sales are now well over 1,000,000 gallons per year. Since many of EM's other PAO customers - like Castrol - are now using GP III stocks and EM has a huge investment in PAO production, they are grateful for the business.

In addition, Amsoil has been growing at over 10% annually since 1990, despite a flat or deceasing market for total engine oil sales in North America. Amsoil also captures extended drain customers who would never consider using Mobil 1, along with some of the performance crowd who would use Redline, Torco,Synergyn instead.

Big Al and the board of directors at ExxonMobil are crying all the way to the bank ...
wink.gif

I might as well stick my toes in here to get stepped on!!

I may not be a chemical engineer as some of you, but in my past 25+ years of having motor oils as a hobby I always thought that ZDDP was there just in case metals got together!! In that case the zink aditive is to keep the metals from gaulling! I`ve seen ZDDP levels from O-.20! Honestly if a motor oil and engine are performing correctly there really isn`t even a need for ZDDP in a street driven car in my opinion!! Especialy in synthetics! It`s really not designed as a friction modifier! Only really needed in Race applications where the oil is pushed to the limit for a few hours! Or in deisels!

Please correct me if I`m wrong as I`m here to learn as well!!

Hasbeen

Hasbeen, Moly and ZDDP together have a synergistic effect on FM even though that is not their primary mission. As drains are extended you need to have plenty of additives to last to the end of the OCI.

I look at this hole thing as a chance for EM to show what they can really do when price point is not the primary concern. I figure if they raise their bar the competition will have to raise theirs as well. COmpetition is almost always good for the customer.

I just hope it has a higher ester content then their SS product. If I could buy a product that had at least as much esters as D1 (26%) or higher and it still had lots of moly,ZDDP, boron calcium etc.... I would not bother to order Redline any more so long as it was not any higher in price then Redline or Amsoil. I hate haveing to mail order my oil!!!

It does not even have to be better then Redline it just has to be close!

quote:

if it's good enough for a NASCAR engine, it's good enough for me

Why? Do you use a NASCAR engine full throttle for 500 miles and rebuild?
dunno.gif

I do!
wink.gif

quote:

Why? Do you use a NASCAR engine full throttle for 500 miles and rebuild?

I do!

Inglostat, I'm sure some will have issues with the oil not doing it's job even though NASCAR is using the identical oil. Thats the point.
wink.gif

offtopic.gif
Back in my college days I build a two-stroke yamaha and ran it on the street with the best two stroke racing oil...ran great right to the point when she seized up on me. Careful with racing oil guys, what works great at 8000+ rpm may not be the best at going to get the groceries. J.M.O. I'll wait and see on the m1R.

thanks.

quote:

there could be some "hot" car owners when they get the news the premature death of their convertors' warranty claims are denied.

Most likely anyone who is picky enough and "free walleted" enough to seek out obscure oils is not going to complain about a $90-150 cat replacement (certain conditions and restrictions apply). Anyone who spends over $100 on a remote dual bypass setup is already suffering from natures way of saying that you make too much money
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Hasbeen:
I might as well stick my toes in here to get stepped on!!

I may not be a chemical engineer as some of you, but in my past 25+ years of having motor oils as a hobby I always thought that ZDDP was there just in case metals got together!! In that case the zink aditive is to keep the metals from gaulling! I`ve seen ZDDP levels from O-.20! Honestly if a motor oil and engine are performing correctly there really isn`t even a need for ZDDP in a street driven car in my opinion!! Especialy in synthetics! It`s really not designed as a friction modifier! Only really needed in Race applications where the oil is pushed to the limit for a few hours! Or in deisels!

Please correct me if I`m wrong as I`m here to learn as well!!

Hasbeen

What about every time the engine starts?

quote:

Installed it is more like $ 500 !!

If it costs $500 installed for a cat ..it has to be on some sophisicated Euro trash or some upscale Japanese rig. Either that or the labor rates/cost of living in the area are that high.

..which is another way that nature says that you make too much money
grin.gif

Just like many of my fellow jeepers. They spend a fortune on lifts, shocks, gears ...and they accept a mulititude of trail damage ...but whine about a cat????? The whole distraction clearly demonstrates that they have access to too much money ...and nature is relieving them of it as best it can
grin.gif

quote:

So what does that say about us oil and filter freaks

ditto
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back