Mobil 1 quietly changed their 15W50 to API SP?

Looks like Amsoil,HPL or Redline are gonna get more 15w50 business now.
Why, Is the SP version of 15w-50 inferior? Still has 1200ph and 1300zn and a decent amount of detergents so it still looks good. The phosphorus limits apply to the resource conserving grades only. And if somone was paying $30 for a syn 50 grade oil I'm not so sure this would upset them enough to switch to an expensive boutique brand oil even if it was less good now. They'd probably keep buying it.

Last edited:
Why, Is the SP version of 15w-50 inferior? Still has 1200ph and 1300zn and a decent amount of detergents so it still looks fine. The phosphorus limits apply to the resource conserving grades only. And if somone was paying $25 for a syn 50 grade oil I'm not so sure this would upset them enough to switch to an expensive boutique brand oil even if it was less good now. They'd probably keep buying it.
Looks like all they did was make it a great oil for more vehicles, now it's good for modified small displacement engines where before the low calcium and high ZDDP should make it a nice LSPI preventing oil.

I honestly think M1 oils are now even better than ever! (y)
Yeah I tend to agree, outside of the boutiques (e.g. HPL, Penrite etc), Mobil looks to be leading the pack. I just wish they were more affordable here in Oz, I can get Valvoline SynPower or Castrol Edge for about half the price that I can find M1 for. Yes, first world problem, I know.

Lake Speed Jr is awesome. Such a wealth of knowledge.

Dumb question time... Is this Lake Speed Nascar drivers son ?

Lake Speed only won 1 race in his Nascar career at Darlington in 1988. He had a legit good car that day and led about half the laps if not 2/3 of them. Driving that Wynn's car which actually had a pretty cool paint scheme on it. He did finish 2nd to Bill Elliot at the 1985 Daytona 500 and finished 10th in the points in 1985 and had a good year that year.

Definitely Lake Speed be was a good driver and deserved to be out there racing.

Dumb question time... Is this Lake Speed Nascar drivers son ?

Lake Speed only won 1 race in his Nascar career at Darlington in 1988. He had a legit good car that day and led about half the laps if not 2/3 of them. Driving that Wynn's car which actually had a pretty cool paint scheme on it. He did finish 2nd to Bill Elliot at the 1985 Daytona 500 and finished 10th in the points in 1985 and had a good year that year.

Definitely Lake Speed be was a good driver and deserved to be out there racing.
Yes, there's a great video on YouTube about how he built his team from the ground up

Yes, there's a great video on YouTube about how he built his team from the ground up

Ahh ok... I kinda figured that but was not sure.

His dad was a legit good solid driver in Nascar. I'm glad Lake Sr had a win at Darlington. He could have had more if not for bad luck here and there.

Lake Speed Jr is awesome. Such a wealth of knowledge.

I was just being funny and knocking myself, as I have the same certifications. He does a good job with the editing of the video and keeping on point. Like a really good job. Short enough to maintain attention, yet long enough to explain the basics well enough.

Why, Is the SP version of 15w-50 inferior? Still has 1200ph and 1300zn and a decent amount of detergents so it still looks good. The phosphorus limits apply to the resource conserving grades only. And if somone was paying $30 for a syn 50 grade oil I'm not so sure this would upset them enough to switch to an expensive boutique brand oil even if it was less good now. They'd probably keep buying it.
I think 🤔 that most people running 15w50 are looking for the "edge" of performance lubrication will still cling to boutique oils. When I think of 15w50 M1 or anything bought at a Walmart doesn't come to mind. With brands like Motul 300V, Amsoil,Redline,Torco and HPL imho I think they make a better product.

I think 🤔 that most people running 15w50 are looking for the "edge" of performance lubrication will still cling to boutique oils. When I think of 15w50 M1 or anything bought at a Walmart doesn't come to mind. With brands like Motul 300V, Amsoil,Redline,Torco and HPL imho I think they make a better product.
But M1 15W-50 is half the price of those other brands.

Are those other brands twice as good as M1 15W-50? 🤔

I was just being funny and knocking myself, as I have the same certifications. He does a good job with the editing of the video and keeping on point. Like a really good job. Short enough to maintain attention, yet long enough to explain the basics well enough.

precise , concise and exact ! We have been brainwashed since grammer school to believe a 1,000 word essay is a must . When reading articles half the writing seems to be fluff and the facts are surrounded with fluff.

Back