Mobil 1 Products...

Status
Not open for further replies.
whatsup guys. Ive got a question about which Mobil 1 to use in my truck. Its a '03 Ford Ranger 4.0 SOHC FX4 w/ 44,000mi. please take a min to read. thanks in advance!

Ive been using Motorcraft 5w30syn blend for the life of the truck. this last OC i switched to Pennzoil Platinum and loved it! i have decided to switch to synthetics for the rest of the life of the truck.
smile.gif

anyways ive decided to try mobil products for the next OC. Which should i try, Mobil 1 5w30syn or the Mobil 1 5w30syn EP w/ the super syn or whatever...
dunno.gif

i can get both for the same price (about 7dollars a 5qt. jug)...yes thats right its not a typo 7 bucks!
grin.gif
... thats 1.28 a quart for Mobil 1 or Mobil 1 EP! i get a deal through a mechanic buddy of mine
wink.gif

anyways for a 3-5k oci should i go for the MObil EP? i get it for cheap anyways!

the mobil site says: " Mobil 1 Extended Performance products contain 50 percent more SuperSyn, 37 percent more cleaning agents, and 36 percent more anti-wear additives than Mobil 1."

what do yall think? thanks in advance for any input. it is greatly appreciated!

-Bo
patriot.gif

p.s.- i know i will get **** about the short OCI's
rolleyes.gif
, but i am under warranty until like 100,000mi so i kind of have to do it. but it doesnt make any difference to me really. just more quality time for me and my truck every 3-5k!
cool.gif

5-30 M1ep is thinner than 5-30M1 regular. Reg 5-30M1 is more like your MC weight 30. You may find ep noiser. Your miles look like they may be highway so I'd go thicker regular.

I have considered the same tradeoffs, and decided to go with M1 EP 5W-30. Don't feel guilty about when you change the oil, do it when you need or want to. Just don't be wasteful. I think that as you keep an eye on things that you will naturally settle on the right OCI for your new oil choices.

Best wishes as you motor along!

"5-30 M1ep is thinner than 5-30M1 regular. Reg 5-30M1 is more like your MC weight 30. You may find ep noiser. Your miles look like they may be highway so I'd go thicker regular."
----------------------
m2200b, im not sure if i should really be concerned w/ this or not? Ford has been back spec'ing their vehicles to 5w20. Ive gathered that a lighter weight is acceptable now. But i still dont know...

"Just don't be wasteful"
----------------------

SWS, dont worry i save my used oil for my waste oil heater. whether i were to change my oil at 3-5k or 10-15k doesnt matter it all gets used to heat my shop in the end! :)

thanks for all the input so far!

-Bo

also, i noticed that the Mobil 1 EP is SL rated as opposed to the reg Mobil 1 which is SM. would it be better to have the SL due to the ZDDP, plus i have the Ford 4.0 which has been said to be better on the SL due to some pre-mature engine wear study or something??? just thinking out loud i guess....

-Bo

"I am a new Platinum user. What made you "love" the Platinum over the MC syn-blend?"
----------------------------

triple_se7en,

it made my truck much more responsive in comparison to the MC. i honestly couldnt believe the difference. I am not exactly sure if this was due to just switching to synthetic in general or if it was the PP? It will be interesting to see how Mobil compares to the PP this next OC. I will keep you all posted on the results. i will probably do UOA's on both. I also have the MC that i drained b4 the PP. is it too late to do a UOA on this oil? its just been sitting in my garage...

thanks

-Bo

The 4.0 SOHC is one of a few Ford's that the company does not recommend 5W-20. I have run the Motorcraft, 5W-30 Platinum and GC in my '05 Explorer. IMO this motor loves a thicker oil. GC is perfect (combination of noise, mpg and butt dyno).

If I were to switch to Mobil 1, I would try the 0W-40 or the SUV 5W-40 first

we have a shortage of the Mobil 1 5w40 around here. i dont even think our wal-mart has it! what about rotella t 5w40 syn? i was thinking about using this a while back but thought against it due to thickness. i still think i might use the Mobil 1 EP 5w30. but maybe consider using rotella 5w40 in the summer or something? what do u guys think of that?

thanks

-Bo

quote:

Triple_Se7en ,

what are your thoughts on Mobil 1 syn vs. Mobil 1 EP syn??

I will not purchase regular Mobil-1 until the Katrina substitute oil additives are gone & normal production is back to the original blend of pre-Katrina. All the regular Mobil-1 I see on store shelves still say "Suitable" on the jug back.

My next purchase of Mobil-1 will be the new T&SUV 5W-30 that's coming out next month.

i called Mobil today and they said that they are unable to produce one of their ingredients due to Katrina. So they had to come up with a new ingredient to replace it and assured me that it is of equal quality. i wish i had more details of what both these ingredients actually are. they told me that they are in the works of obtaining the certification right now and we will be seeing our little circular friend back on the bottles very soon.

i also asked him if they were going to go back to the old ingredient when they got their shiit all back together. he said that they would return to using the old ingredient, because the new ingredient is in temporary production only due to the fact that they are in active works of restoring what was lost by Katrina. He said that this is why some areas are low on Mobil products...because they are not producing this new ingrendient in the same capacity as the former.

all in all, i think the stuff thats on the shelf now is fine. Mobil stated that this mystery ingredient is of equal quality and i have no reason to doubt that. plus the awesome add pack of the EP will cover my a$$ so to say i guess. however, i will be a little more comfortable when i see newly labeled bottles on the shelf. but i will not hesitate to try the mobil right now.

-Bo

ive been doing some research. it seems Mobil 1 EP proves to be on the thick side of the 5w30's. i find this contradictory to what has been said here recently. ive heard people here say that it is on the thin side. what am i to believe?

"5-30 M1ep is thinner than 5-30M1 regular. Reg 5-30M1 is more like your MC weight 30. You may find ep noiser. Your miles look like they may be highway so I'd go thicker regular. "
-------------------------

is it thin or thick. i am getting conflicting conclusions...

also, will i be ahead to use rotella t 5w40syn in the summer months and Mobil 1 EP for all other months? i am worried the rotella will be too thick for my truck. any thoughts or experiences with this?

thanks

-Bo

quote:

it made my truck much more responsive in comparison to the MC. i honestly couldnt believe the difference. I am not exactly sure if this was due to just switching to synthetic in general or if it was the PP?

If the Platinum was working as well as you say in the above quote; then I don't see any reason what so ever to to switch to M1.

Somwhere on here theres a uoa with that 4.0 in a sport trac.
The M1 5w30 and 5w30 ep tunrned great results in his engine.

5-30M1 is 11.3 at 100C
5-30 M1 EP is 10.25 at 100C
5-20 is 8.8 at 100C
Source is m1 site product specs sheets.
M1EP is thinner than regular 5-30 and closer to 5-20.
I don't see why you'd want to go to 40w
on a new truck spec's 20W. Did you use 5-20 or 5-30PP? Even if 5-30 shears towards 20 you are spec'd for 20 and your OIC is short.

quote:

If the Platinum was working as well as you say in the above quote; then I don't see any reason what so ever to to switch to M1.

a couple reasons Goldenrod. first, i want to see how my truck reacts to the Mobil 1 in comparison to PP and MC. the results i found w/ PP could have just been due to using a full synthetic.
confused.gif

I can always go back to the PP if i want. plus i can get Mobil 1 for like 1.28 a qt.
grin.gif
that is a big reason i suppose!
wink.gif

quote:

on a new truck spec's 20W. Even if 5-30 shears towards 20 you are spec'd for 20 and your OIC is short.

actually my truck is not spec'd for 20w. it calls for 5w30. ford has back spec'd the 4cyl engines and of course all the new 4cyl engines are spec'd for 20w. my engine however is not spec'd for 20w. however, i believe that my engine would perform fine on a 20w. but i would never use an actual 20w. but all this being said i have concluded that i shouldn't be too worried about a "thin" 5w30.

quote:

Did you use 5-20 or 5-30PP?

i used the 5w30 PP.

quote:

i was thinking of trying one in the hot summer months, but wanted to mix it to make it a bit lighter. but im not too sure if ill do that or not.
dunno.gif

anyways thanks for all the help guys! it is greatly appreciated! anybody else have experiences w/ Mobil 1 EP out there?

-Bo
patriot.gif

If Ford spec's and even back specs 5W-20 on all but a very few engines, and still in 2006 specs 5W-30 for the 4.0 SOHC, doesn't that tell you something? It does me. This engine needs a thicker oil.

Funny how we are now getting a reverse trend...people not wanting to use a thicker oil. LOL

im not using a 5w20 tenderloin. i just said that i am not worried if Mobil 1 EP is slightly thinner than reg Mobil 1. is there a 40w Mobil 1 EP...would that close the gap in thickness perhaps??

-Bo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back