Mobil 1 pricings

I read it on wikipedia, Mobil 1 was introduced back in 1974. The price of crude oil per barrel was below $10.00 at that time. But why is it the price of their M1 synthetic oil keeps on dropping through all these years and yet the price of crude oil is way more expensive now that it was back in 1974. Did Mobil cut corners on their M1 products in order compete with other brands? Is the current Mobil 1 synthetic oil much better than the formula they had back in the 70's? Please free to correct me if there is a mistake on my part. Thank you
cheers3.gif

Mobil1 back in the 70s would have been mostly PAO and ester I believe, most varieties of Mobil1 now are mostly hydrocracked crude which is far cheaper than PAO. Mobil1 was rather new to the market back then and would not have sold in anywhere near the volume it does now so greater volume and using cheaper basestocks have allowed them to get the price down nicely.

Originally Posted by BEETLE
I read it on wikipedia, Mobil 1 was introduced back in 1974. The price of crude oil per barrel was below $10.00 at that time. But why is it the price of their M1 synthetic oil keeps on dropping through all these years and yet the price of crude oil is way more expensive now that it was back in 1974. Did Mobil cut corners on their M1 products in order compete with other brands? Is the current Mobil 1 synthetic oil much better than the formula they had back in the 70's? Please free to correct me if there is a mistake on my part. Thank you
cheers3.gif

In 50 years? Who knows.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Ahh yes, a creative way of attempting to reanimate the "Group III vs. Group IV" dead horse.

Really?

Come on now, it's been a slow week here
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Ahh yes, a creative way of attempting to reanimate the "Group III vs. Group IV" dead horse.

Really?

grin2.gif

But what about Group V

I don't know if the 1974 version was better than the current version....but I wonder if the SL rated SuperSyn version (which I presume was using PAO) was better than the current version?

Originally Posted by blufeb95
Mobil1 back in the 70s would have been mostly PAO and ester I believe, most varieties of Mobil1 now are mostly hydrocracked crude which is far cheaper than PAO. Mobil1 was rather new to the market back then and would not have sold in anywhere near the volume it does now so greater volume and using cheaper basestocks have allowed them to get the price down nicely.

"Most varieties" of Mobil 1 are blends of all the above as well as GTL...

Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger
Originally Posted by blufeb95

"Most varieties" of Mobil 1 are blends of all the above as well as GTL...

The key word being MOSTLY, GTL and PAO tend to be a small percentage of the formulations in most of the SDSs I've looked at other than 0w16 , 0w20 grades.

Really?

I dont know if Gp 3 is better or worse than Gp 4 but there is no doubt that Gp4 and Gp5 are more expensive, and the question was about price.

Originally Posted by samven

Really?

I dont know if Gp 3 is better or worse than Gp 4 but there is no doubt that Gp4 and Gp5 are more expensive, and the question was about price.

That was one question. He asked this question right after that one.

"Did Mobil cut corners on their M1 products in order compete with other brands?"

So kschachn has a point.

Last edited:
Back in the day when M1 15W50 silver cap first came out, MJ of XOM told me it was a group IV/V base stock.

Originally Posted by PimTac

Really?

"Did Mobil cut corners on their M1 products in order compete with other brands?"

So kschachn has a point.

I started using M1 5-20 in 1978. Their oils over the last 42 years has not declined a bit in quality, in fact my normal 10K OCI that I have done all these years still produces quality lubrication for my engines equal to or surpassing that of 1978.

Originally Posted by tig1
Originally Posted by PimTac

Really?

So kschachn has a point.

I started using M1 5-20 in 1978. Their oils over the last 42 years has not declined a bit in quality, in fact my normal 10K OCI that I have done all these years still produces quality lubrication for my engines equal to or surpassing that of 1978.

is you 2007 fusion burn some oil? impressive mileage!

Engines properly maintained using top quality GPII oils will out last the chasis and trans in most cases. Yep a slow week but marketing works and it works well.

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
Originally Posted by 53' Stude

Really?

grin2.gif

But what about Group V

I'm holding out for Grp VI oils.
lol.gif

Back in 1970 mobil 1 was poa and ester and better oil in term of base oil but today mobil 1 vanilla is mostly grp 3 and some gtl and little poa in it. Mobil 1 tri syn is much better product because it contains 4,5 two types of ester base oil in their mix not sure if that formula has grp3 in it or not.

Back