Mobil 1 out,Exxon Superflo in

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of weeks ago I made a post about Mobil1 and Schaffers.I still am very happy with Schaffers but man,I don't think the Mobil1 is working well in my 2 main rides(99 Corolla,02 Sienna).

I have always used M1 inmy Corolla since new.I really didn't feel anything was wrong with it but started to experiment with other brands in my Corolla since joining the board.
I tried Chevron 10W30,nice and quiet engine but man it felt sluggish.I tried Exxon Superflo 5W30,man the engine ran quietly and revved fantastically!Really came alive.Ran it for around 1500 miles then chickened out and went back to M1.

The M1 5W30 feels just as sluggish as the Chevron 10W30 in my Corolla.I gotta mash the gas kinda hard to get above 3,500 RPMS to get goin everytime.This is an automatic trans BTW.

Kept M1 in for around 700 miles then dumped for some Havoline 5W30.Another sluggish performance so to speak in my Corolla.

I'm goin back to Exxon 5W30 as it makes this car that much more fun to drive.

I use M1 5W30 in my 02 Sienna since new,changed every 5K with the first batch going in at 1,230 miles.
Currently the van has 15,500 miles on it and it's due for an oil change.I was planning to buy a 5qt jug from Walmart but man this price jack to $22 tee'd me off.
I think I'll use Superflo with a 3K interval this time.I'll let you guys know how the engine feels by a seat of the pants report after the change.

I'm starting to really like this Superflo stuff.
grin.gif
Price and performance wise.

Next thing you know I'll be looking at Supertech!

Mobil 1 is slowly losing it's stranglehold on the synthetic oil market!
smile.gif

(although I'm sure they'll always be the highest seller)

After being a long time user of Mobil 1, I switched to 5W-30 Havoling conventional for this change and then will go with the 5W-30 Chevron Supreme. I know my engine is alot quieter with the Havoline and I haven't noticed any performance loss. I'm going to stick with conventional for now and change every 3,000 miles.

Wayne

Have been thinking about switching back to dino myself. You just can't beat $1.08 a quart for Chevron, and it's supposed to be really good oil. I never saw any gas mileage difference from using synthetic, but the synthetic keeps the engine a lot cleaner.
cheers.gif

"I think I'll use Superflo with a 3K interval this time.I'll let you guys know how the engine feels by a seat of the pants report after the change".
I base alot of decisions on gut feelings and the 'ol butt dyno
tongue.gif
Please post a UOA when possible, I have seen the Superflo at Wally world in the 5 QT jugs.

I used superflo over the summer. I must say I'm impressed with the stuff, it decreased my oil consumption. when I used maxlife, I started to burn oil at 2000 miles. with superflo, I didn't start to burn oil until 2700 miles. I was going to do a UOA on superflo but I got sidetracked with maxlife again. free oil after rebate is hard to turn down.
wink.gif

I am not sure how good Exxon SuperFlo is. There was a UOA on it that was not too impressive, if I remember correctly. I did try it once and it ran good in a car I owned previously. Actually, the car did seem somewhat faster. You can find SuperFlo in a lot of places. SuperFlo came out about the same time as Arco Graphite, but it uses a chemical friction reducer instead of graphite.

I saw a UOA that was spectacular on the UOA board.Terry mentioned the lowest wear he ever got with his Toyota V6 was with Superflo 5W30(with 3.oz of Auto-Rx).
grin.gif

Superflow is an inferior oil to Mobil 1 in every aspect of the oil. I'd run Rx and stay with M1. But thats just me.
smile.gif

Buster;
My book states that Superflow is a PAO/ester blend.
How is Mobil-1 better, and why if M-1 is better are you finding you have to use RX with it?
Which car of yours has the Redline in it and which one has Mobil-1?
State make, model, engine, and year.
You mentioned yesterday that the Amsoil you bought is in the trunk.
Do you think that M-1 and Redline are superior to Exxon's Superflow and Amsoil, and if so, what are you baseing your opinion on?

[ October 29, 2003, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: userfriendly ]

quote:

Buster;
My book states that Superflow is a PAO/ester blend.
How is Mobil-1 better, and why if M-1 is better are you finding you have to use RX with it?
Which car of yours has the Redline in it and which one has Mobil-1?
State make, model, engine, and year.
You mentioned yesterday that the Amsoil you bought is in the trunk.
Do you think that M-1 and Redline are superior to Exxon's Superflow and Amsoil, and if so, what are you baseing your opinion on?

What book are you reading? Superflow is a group II I believe. At least the ExxonSuperflow down here. We only have one fully synthetic oil on the shelf in the US, Mobil 1.

I am currently running Redline 5w-30 in a 2001 Corolla with 139k miles on it. The oil already has 700 miles on it. I previously ran Mobil 1 0w-20 (check the UOA section). I added Rx for the last 1,000 miles or so with the 0w-20. My wife's car has the Amsoil 10w-30 in it and the 0w-30 in the trunk, which I will be putting in her car around late November. That is the oil she will use from here on out. I myself am still playing around with the idea of using S2k, but I want to see how RL does first.

offtopic.gif

Mobil 1 is by far better then ExxonSuperflow. It's among the top 3 synthetic oils on the market. The UOA's back this up. Mobil 1 is a fully synthetic oil, Group IV + V base stocks. Every spec. clearly shows that Mobil 1 is better then Superflow. I don't need to go into detail with this, check the websites for yourself.

RL at this point is making my engine much quieter and smoother. I'm very surprised at this but it's true. Do I think M1 and RL are better then Amsoil?? I've stated this a million times, the best oil is the one that works best in your car. For 3-5k mile drains, you won't see much difference with any oil but for longer drains and high performance cars, M1, Ams, RL are the top 3 oils in the US that I have access to. GC is becoming one of them but it's too early to tell IMO>

[ October 29, 2003, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

It appears that there may be 2 versions of Superflo because the Canadians
canada.gif
think it is synthetic while those in the US
patriot.gif
think it is conventional.

From the Exxon USA website
http://www.exxon.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAUSENPVLEXSuperflo.asp
"Product Description Exxon Superflo 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30, 10W-40, 20W-50 are high quality conventional engine oils, which meet the latest industry service fill standards required in today's gasoline and diesel automobile engines."

All the Superflo I have encountered was conventional and quite inexpensive. I'm sure Buster is also referring to this version of Superflo.

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

Buster;
Page 76 section 2 of their product book.
Superflo synthetic.
You never have told us what make and model of car your missus drives.
Wow, your putting 70,000 miles on your Toyota a year!
Almost 6,000 miles per month.

Ok, that makes sense then. We only have Superflow dino oil as far as I know. Not familiar with the other. The wife has a 2002 Ford Focus. My mileage over the last two years came to about 48,000 miles per year. 128 mile round trip to work and a 500 mile round trip to see my wife in upstate NY. She is now home and I will be moving much closer to work thank god. I wouldn't be able to do it anymore. It was driving me insane!

quote:

Originally posted by Alan:
A couple of weeks ago I made a post about Mobil1 and Schaffers.I still am very happy with Schaffers but man,I don't think the Mobil1 is working well in my 2 main rides(99 Corolla,02 Sienna).-*-*-*

That's what happens when you try things... you tend to see that not all hamburgers taste the same, and man that open flamed (no not BG) pit burger cooked with real wood sure puts the the others to shame...

IMO, most of my cars or maybe it's me tend to like a 30W. My Toyota Tacoma sure like it too, it actually likes a Heavy 30 or a med to light 40w IMO. Sure the GAS is a little better and it's a little racier with a so called multi-weight-lube (most are not even though people think they are),
but the truck has always BURNED anything but a straight... yes, even as far as the numbers go on paper, I tried some multi's that SHOULD do much better but they still burned too much for my comfort.
Right now I have a whole bunch of multi around, just bought it, and I donno if I want to keep it.
When I run around and keep it under 75-80 it's not too bad, but when I'm up and down around 85-98
for 1-2-300 miles at a clip of about 5-50 miles, I will lose from 2 ounces to 4 ounces and sometimes 6 ounces... today it was 80% at 199 miles Highway 85-98 and four ounces oil, yesterday it was 85-90 for 228 miles at about 80% highway and 2 ounces, the day before was 300+ at 75-95 80% highway for a loss of about 1 ounce.... MY STRAIGHT would hold for the last three days to maybe 1-2 ounc loss....

I think Alan, who started this thread, put the dino version in his car. He is from Maryland and probably has not seen the synthetic version that our wonderful friends in Canada have access to.

M1 had better be a better oil than this Super-Flo as it is more than 4x the price.

If it's not, then someone is getting hosed!

SuperFlo...Synthetic? The 5w-50 is supposed to be good. I found 12 qts in the gold bottle for $1 each. Yes, ONE dollar for some SJ synth. I am splitting it between 3 cars, one change each. I need a break from paying for expensive oil! 9qts of 10w-30 and 3 of 5w-50, each car will get 1 quart of the 5w-50. Back to GC next winter. SuperFlo syn has no smell at all, for the record.

I found the Superflo Synth at a local AutoZone during a GC quest in PA. The price was unmarked, I decided to ask how much because it was an old product, $1...ding, ding. They still have a bunch or Superflo Semi-Synth...$1. I am keeping an eye out for the old Penzoil synth, SJ in the old bottle, I heard they go cheap but the stash I found at another AZ was full price, right next to the SL.
dunno.gif

FWIW, I haven't seen Superflo synthetic up here in years. Esso synthetic is supposedly the same stuff, and it disappeared too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back