Mobil 1 or Liqui Moly 0w-16 Venza first change at 2-3K ?

Hermann

Site Donor 2023
Plan on changing the factory fill between 2-3K. I like that the Mobil 1 is the cheapest in 5 qt. and the fact Mobil makes the Toyota 0W-16. My German OCD side wants the Uber oil. Who should win. About $30 w/tax from WalMart for the Mobil 1. The Liqui Moly is $34 from Amazon with no tax.

Plan on changing the factory fill between 2-3K. I like that the Mobil 1 is the cheapest in 5 qt. and the fact Mobil makes the Toyota 0W-16. My German OCD side wants the Uber oil. Who should win. About $30 w/tax from WalMart for the Mobil 1. The Liqui Moly is $34 from Amazon with no tax.
The Mobil product is almost assuredly a better oil. It also would have cost more to formulate, being majority PAO whilst the Liqui Moly product is Group III:
Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 3.42.58 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 3.43.57 PM.jpg

What is the difference other than the price between the two oils?
The Mobil 1 is a Group 4 synthetic with PAO syn being the main ingredient. The Liqui-Moly is a Group 3 hydrocracked which is is generally considered to be of lesser quality.

Mobil may make the Toyota 0w16, but their 0w16 add-pack is not as good as Toyota's version

Mobil may make the Toyota 0w16, but their 0w16 add-pack is not as good as Toyota's version
based on what, just because the moly level reports higher doesn't mean it's any better, plus there's several different additives that may work better in different concentrations that contain moly, boron, zinc, etc, just because you see a big number on a VOA doesn't mean that the add package is really any better if they're using completely different additives that contain the same elements.

Riiiiight, and what's the source for this gem of an assertion? The company that co-owns Infinium, one of the largest and most advanced oil additive manufacturing facilities in the world, and who went to the trouble (and expense) of using PAO instead of Group III in their formulation somehow decided to "go it cheap" on the additive package?

UOA tests, homie. There's a reason why the M1 version is cheaper than Toyota's
That's not what UOA's are for, so if you are hanging your hat on that nonsense, forget it.

You can start with this article, since it is abundantly clear you aren't adequately informed to be having this conversation:

And no, the reason the Mobil version is less expensive is because Toyota doesn't produce oils. PAO is vastly more expensive than Group III (which is what the Toyota oil uses) you are getting a deal on the Mobil product because Mobil prices their oils all roughly the same, regardless of the base oil blend.

Toyota isn't an oil formulator or blender, they depend on the expertise of companies like Mobil that are. You can be assured that the reason they went with a Group III base is because of the price point the product is blended to. Mobil, not working within the budgetary constraints for a 3rd party with their own product, chose a higher quality, and more expensive, base oil.

UOAs and VOAs are only an elemental analysis, you have no way of knowing the exact additives used from a simple elemental analysis, just because one has a lot more moly at an elemental level doesn't mean squat.
Exactly, and as we've discussed extensively in the past, if Mobil is using trimer moly and the Toyota product has dimer moly, the lower dose in the Mobil product may in fact be more effective.

UOA tests, homie. There's a reason why the M1 version is cheaper than Toyota's
The Mobil 1 in quarts is $7.9x at Wal-Mart, so in reality it is about the same price as TGMO in that size.
Seems like TGMO needs a 5 qt jug. I am sure they are both great oils. Haven't bought anything so I might just go to VOIC with their $25 off Synthetic oil change. That day is still a month or two away. Thanks for everyone's input.

Back