Mobil 1 oil with the green label

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all,

Before the holiday sets in I was wondering if anyone has tried the Mobil 1 synthetic oil that has the "Green Label" on it signifying designed for emission control devices? It's suppose to save you money on gas too.

Durango

It's hard to find and costs a bunch. It seems to meet a lot of diesel engine requirements and has European approvals. It also seems to be on the heavy side for a 5W-30. I suspect that not a whole lot of people are going to be seeking this out unless they have specific requirements that it meets.

Originally Posted By: Hyde244
Are you simply talking about the 0 weight oil?

Its confusing because Mobil has a lot of green on two different oil lines.

"AFE" is the 0w20 and 0w30 line that touts fuel economy (but is also a really, really good oil).

"ESP" is what he's talking about. Meets a lot of low-SAPS requirements, comes in 5w30 and 5w40 grades.

Mobil 1 ESP (Emission System Protection) is targeted at diesels, but will work in a gasser.

I'm not really sure how they could save gas as they're not resource-conserving oils. It's sold in 5w30 and 5w40, both of which are high-HTHS (3.5+).

For your Durango, I don't think the ESP oils will be worth the extra money.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
It won't last as long in a gas engine, either, because of the reduction in TBN due to being diesel DPF compatible.

Do you know the TBN of the 5W-30 ESP?

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
It won't last as long in a gas engine, either, because of the reduction in TBN due to being diesel DPF compatible.

Do you know the TBN of the 5W-30 ESP?

Typically those oils are in the mid-7s.

I once sent in a virgin sample of Mobil 1 5w40 *ESP* Formula M. It's a product targeted at diesel cars including Mercedes. I ran this to make sure it wasn't the oil the dealer put in my gasoline cars.

To the point, blackstone came back with a TBN of just 5.5. It should be posted somewhere.

Supposedly low saps help catalytic converts in gasoline cars too though? Are we truly terribly poisoning our emissions systems by using full sap oils? While I won't be doing this anytime soon, is there some argument if on shorter oil change intervals, to use a low saps oil?

Just how bad is the full saps for the emissions system on a gasoline car?

Originally Posted By: Ayrton
saps for the emissions system on a gasoline car?

I would suspect that SAPS and NOACK are more important for DI engine intake deposits than for catcons... unless the engine is burning a LOT of oil!

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
I'm curently running Mobil-1 0W-20 in my 4.6 Crown Vic for the winter & its running really good with this stuff!

I've run it year-round in my Ram 1500 4.7, including towing in August in West Texas. Its perfectly fine year round in an engine with an Xw20 spec. because its a high VI base stock that holds viscosity well as temp increases.

Its also not the oil family being talked about in this thread :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back