Mobil-1 oil filters in Canada, can't find, why??

Status
Not open for further replies.

irv

Anyone know why I can't purchase Mobil-1 or Mobil oil filters in Canada?
Their oil is readily available at most parts stores and department stores such as Wal-Mart, Canadian Tire, Parts-Source etc but never their oil filters?
It seems every place carries Fram and some exclusively fram, no other choices?
Does Fram have exclusive rights to sell their filters in Canada, sure seems like it or there is something else going on?

I'd love to know the answer to this, too.

In the meantime, I'd use the Fram 'Exteneded Guard' (synthetic) filters - they've been shown to be a good filter for long OCI's....

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I'd love to know the answer to this, too.

In the meantime, I'd use the Fram 'Exteneded Guard' (synthetic) filters - they've been shown to be a good filter for long OCI's....

I wrote Exxon Mobil on the wknd so hopefully they reply with an answer as to why we can't purchase them in Canada?

Not a big fan of Fram, I think I will stick with an AC Delco Duraguard(sp)or go to an Amsoil filter(I think there good?)if I can't get the Mobil filters?

Here I will speculate as to why it is not available here in Canada: There wouldn't be enough demand for it.

If a M1 filter at Wally World in the US is upwards of $11 each, you'd be looking at a minimum $15 for one here in Canada. Not many people are going to be willing to shell out that kind of money for a filter. I don't think it makes much sense for a store to have this in stock, take up space on the shelves and not being able to move the product. You likely won't find anything other the the orange can at Wally World in Canada, but other independent parts stores will stock other good alternatives at a price less than that of M1.

Originally Posted By: J_Myler
Aren't fram made in canada? That could be why other filters are hard to find.

It's more likely why other filters are much more expensive. Fram probably employs Canadians. Others do not. That's probably not a solidly standing rule, since we're seeing imports show up ..just not from the USA. I have to assume that it's some brokered "favor" to send revenue quietly out the door while still giving the citizenry the same frustrations.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
Here I will speculate as to why it is not available here in Canada: There wouldn't be enough demand for it.

If a M1 filter at Wally World in the US is upwards of $11 each, you'd be looking at a minimum $15 for one here in Canada. Not many people are going to be willing to shell out that kind of money for a filter. I don't think it makes much sense for a store to have this in stock, take up space on the shelves and not being able to move the product. You likely won't find anything other the the orange can at Wally World in Canada, but other independent parts stores will stock other good alternatives at a price less than that of M1.

You could be right but I respectively disagree.
Mobil-1 sells lots of oils up here in Canada, it is readily available at all those stores I mentioned plus a whole lot more I'm sure?
Seeing as a lot of Canadians like myself use their "more expensive" oil, I think more would also purchase their more expensive filters, especially if they knew what we knew on here about Fram filters?
I am not really sure, but I think there is something more to this story why we can't get Mobil filters up here? Some trade agreement? Some B.S. with Fram and/or exclusive rights to filters in Canada?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
irv:

What's the application? I've been using Fleetguard and Donaldson on my vehicles.

It's for an 09 Sierra ext cab 4x4 with the 5.3L engine.

I recieved this reply today about Mobil-1 oil filters, I guess there's hope but I wouldn't go holding your breath just yet!

Dale: at this time Mobil 1 filters are only available in the U.S. I have
heard of plans to market them here in Canada, but there has been no
announcement as yet.

Regards,

Lorie W. Hook
Research Technologist
Technical Service Helpline, Research Dept.
Imperial Oil Ltd.
Technical Service Helpline 800-268-3183
fax: (519) 339-2656

Just grab a Donaldson or Fleetguard for it then. The latter tends to be cheaper, even with the synthetic media.

Two of my open road racing Canadian friends stock up on Mobil-1 filters when they are down here. It never occured to me to ask why. I'll see them at Bonneville in Sept. and will inquire. John--Las Vegas.

I noticed the same thing, most stores only sell Fram. It's arguably not the worst but ever since I've seen photos of it sliced in half, enough of it is cardboard that it makes me wonder. Amsoil has a mail order supply network active throughout Canada through which I bought a Wix filter that Canadian Tire never has for $8 + shipping.

In Canada it would be hard for me to beat Fleetfilter (I think) but for a mixed bag with EaO's and whatnot
21.gif
If you can make the order handle the S&H ..I'm probably competitive with other top tier filters.

Originally Posted By: dan3952
I noticed the same thing, most stores only sell Fram. It's arguably not the worst but ever since I've seen photos of it sliced in half, enough of it is cardboard that it makes me wonder.

If you don't think the Fram orange can is the worst, then what is? I can't possibly think of any other filter out there that is put together any worse than the basic orange can Fram.

Just grab a Donaldson or Fleetguard for it then. The latter tends to be cheaper, even with the synthetic media.

Where do I pick up a Donaldson or Fleetguard? I have never heard of either one(unless Fleetguard is a Ford filter??)
Can you tell me anything about them, I take it they are good/great filters if your recommending them?
Are they a Canadian built filter, easy to get, comparible to Pur-One or something similar as far as quality and filtering capability goes? Thanks..........Irv

Originally Posted By: irv

Where do I pick up a Donaldson or Fleetguard? I have never heard of either one(unless Fleetguard is a Ford filter??)
Can you tell me anything about them, I take it they are good/great filters if your recommending them?
Are they a Canadian built filter, easy to get, comparible to Pur-One or something similar as far as quality and filtering capability goes? Thanks..........Irv

They are Transport and heavy diesel filters.

Both leaders in the field.

I buy my Fleetguard filters from the local International dealer, bought my Donaldson ones from Freightliner. If you have a place that sells or services transport trucks near you, you can get them there.

Fleetguard:
http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/html/en/index.html

Donaldson:
http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/index.html

They have THE best filtering media out there: synthetic glass. Donaldson was the pioneer in this technology.

They are built like you'd expect a transport filter to be built.

Click on my username, I posted some LARGE Fleetguard filters torn apart recently.

Originally Posted By: irv

They are Transport and heavy diesel filters.

Both leaders in the field.

I buy my Fleetguard filters from the local International dealer, bought my Donaldson ones from Freightliner. If you have a place that sells or services transport trucks near you, you can get them there.

Fleetguard:
http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/html/en/index.html

Donaldson:
http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/index.html

They have THE best filtering media out there: synthetic glass. Donaldson was the pioneer in this technology.

They are built like you'd expect a transport filter to be built.

Click on my username, I posted some LARGE Fleetguard filters torn apart recently.

Thanks for the help Overkill, I have a buddy who works at Harper Detroit Diesel in Oshawa and another who works at the Kenworth dealership in Bowmanville.
Any part numbers for an 09 Sierra 4x4 with the 5.3 or are they listed in those links you supplied. (going to check them out right now)

They would be in the links. If there is a synthetic glass media filter for your application, that would be the way to go.

I doubt you will find those companies have a oil filter for a 2009 GM product, they are more geared to large trucks.

As for Donaldson, their technology is used (licenced to) by AMSOIL to manf. oil and air filters for the Auto and light truck market.

Fyi - Some of these companies that cater to the larger truck market will not manf. automotive type filters. Often if they carry them they just go out and buy them from another manf, put their name on the box and sell it. You may think it the same as their main line but you would be wrong.

Donaldson doesn't appear to market any oil filters in the M22x1.5 thread with SYNTEQ media.

I think that they make a good number of the ones that they list, though. I haven't tested the theory too much, but I think the more detailed the spec's (as shown when you pull up the specific filter number) the likelihood of in house product increases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back