Mobil 1 oil filters. Are they any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought 4 Pureone Purolator oil filters and Amazon sent the wrong ones. they dont carry my filter. 2011 Silverado 5.3. They do carry Mobil 1 Filters and Mobil 1 Exteded filters. Are they any good?

If I was paying the price for p1 and got Mobil 1's I would order more! Haha. But they are excellent filters

I have had an M1EP M1-104 filter in one hand and an RP 10-2808 in the other, and if it weren't for the color and label differences, I would not have been able to tell them apart. Both are made by Champion Labs and look alike in every detail. Both have super-tough cans. They have different media, of course. I can't (yet) say which one filters better, but I'd definitely side with those saying that M1EPs are great filters.

Originally Posted By: musicmanbass
Royal purple filters anyone?

300 miles to the nearest Pep-Boys for me. I have a couple I ain't used yet though.

Supposedly, they are available for order at Autozone, but not off the shelf. I like M1 filters and being able to walk away with it in my hands.

I am going to go against the herd on this one.

M-1's have burst on 5.0 liter Mustang GT's. Why who knows?

I used one a couple years back on a 350 Magnum Mercury Marine Engine and the engine overheated at high RPM's. Switched to a WIX and I was fine again.

So I have mixed feelings. I think they filter well but not sure about flowing well.

I have used Pure-1/Amsoil EAO filters and like them a lot.

Last edited:
I totally get that, river rat. As you can see in my sig, I like M1 filters, too! I have almost a dozen on the shelf. However, I also have an RP going into the MKX next. I have OR, AZ, and AAP all within 4 minutes of my house. PB is about 20 mins away, so I don't go there often. They also never seem to have blowout sales on those ultra-pricey RPs!!

Sorry to poop on the thread, but I just wanted to give an honorable mention to RP filters in the pantheon of oil filter royalty.

I like M1 filters. I usually stock up when auto zone has a sale with oil. Once my factory filters are done for the CRV ill use the same filter as well.

Originally Posted By: Pete591

I used one a couple years back on a 350 Magnum Mercury Marine Engine and the engine overheated at high RPM's. Switched to a WIX and I was fine again.

So I have mixed feelings. I think they filter well but not sure about flowing well.

Who had a 302 that popped an M1 filter? They have a very heavy can, if the M1 popped, a FRAM, Purolator or pretty much any other filter that isn't a K&N or M1 would have popped earlier.

Originally Posted By: Pete591

Your engine overheated because of an M1 oil filter.?? And M1 filters burst on a Ford engine?

I have probably used more M1 filters than anyone on BITOG(all on Fords) and have never experienced any problems at all.

Originally Posted By: kgpcr
I bought 4 Pureone Purolator oil filters and Amazon sent the wrong ones. they dont carry my filter. 2011 Silverado 5.3. They do carry Mobil 1 Filters and Mobil 1 Exteded filters. Are they any good?

Where did you find a Mobil 1 filter that did not say Extended Performance on it?

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
Originally Posted By: kgpcr

Where did you find a Mobil 1 filter that did not say Extended Performance on it?

That would have been one of the older M1 filters. As I remember it they were white. Also the EP M1 filters came out about the time M1 came out with the Extended Performance oil. Early 2000s I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back