Mobil 1 oil change and new recommendation.

69P

It appears the viscosity of many of Mobil 1s oils have changed based on the provided viscosities on their website. For example high milage 5w30 used to be 11.7-11.9cp at 100C, but is now showing as 10.1cp.

I reached out for confirmation from Mobil 1 since this isn't an insignificant change, but got no response of value.

Anyways, now im looking for an oil recommendation for my 03 celica (1zzfe) with 190k miles. My oil pressure is fine (13psi max heat soak with ac and 55-60psi at 3krpm) with Mobil 1 5w30 HM EP, but I believe its the previous formulation with higher viscosity. I dont want to go lower with viscosity to maintain healthy pressure at idle.

I have a jug of 0w40 mobil1 fs for another vehicle, but am concerned it may be too thick at 12.9cp. Im looking to stay with Mobil 1 if ththere'a good fit since ive used Mobil 1 with the car for 88k miles. I need the oil to perform well at 100F and occasional periods down to -10F.

Last edited:
Considering it is a grade and not a specific viscosity, the only way you’ll make a significant change is to go up a grade. Why would you think a 40-grade is too thick?

And the cold weather performance is represented by the winter rating. A 0W rating is good even below -30, so -10F is well within its cranking and pumpability limit.

Fair point on interpretation of significant, but still subjective when only have 13psi to work with in a high milage vehicle.

The changes in viscosities appear to be 10-20% (check out 10w30hm). You make your own assessment. I think thats big.

I typically stay within grade so changing to a 40 grade makes me nervous, but it seems like a great oil. My main concern is overcorrecting to where flow and subsequent heat transfer is negatively impacted.

Possible unpopular opinion here that you could mix the 5W-30 HM EP with the 0W-40 to have some sort of inexact middle ground, also because the are both Mobil 1.. however, you should be fine with either or. The 0W-40 may very well be very good. (*for your engine.)

The 1ZZ-FE 1.8L has been prone to oil consumption, something about the rings. https://tuningpro.co/the-3-most-common-toyota-1zz-fe-engine-problems/

KV100 is 13.5
HTHS a nice 3.6

Properties and Specifications​

Property
GradeSAE 0W-40
Total Base Number, mgKOH/g, ASTM D289612.5
Ash, Sulfated, mass%, ASTM D8741.2
Flash Point, Cleveland Open Cup, °C, ASTM D92233
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40 C, mm2/s, ASTM D44577
Hi-Temp Hi-Shear Viscosity @ 150 C 1x10(6) sec(-1), mPa.s, ASTM D46833.6
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100 C, mm2/s, ASTM D44513.5
Density @ 15.6 C, g/ml, ASTM D40520.839
Viscosity Index, ASTM D2270180
Mini-Rotary Viscometer, Apparent Viscosity, -40 C, mPa.s, ASTM D468428200
Pour Point, °C, ASTM D97-45

It appears the viscosity of many of Mobil 1s oils have changed based on the provided viscosities on their website. For example high milage 5w30 used to be 11.7-11.9cp at 100C, but is now showing as 10.1cp.

I reached out for confirmation from Mobil 1 since this isn't an insignificant change, but got response of value.

Anyways, now im looking for an oil recommendation for my 03 celica (1zzfe) with 190k miles. My oil pressure is fine (13psi max heat soak with ac and 55-60psi at 3krpm) with Mobil 1 5w30 HM EP, but I believe its the previous formulation with higher viscosity. I dont want to go lower with viscosity to maintain healthy pressure at idle.

I have a jug of 0w40 mobil1 fs for another vehicle, but am concerned it may be too thick at 12.9cp. Im looking to stay with Mobil 1 if ththere'a good fit since ive used Mobil 1 with the car for 88k miles. I need the oil to perform well at 100F and occasional periods down to -10F.

This appears to be someone who is not happy with Mobil 1, so if the OP is not happy with the change then maybe the OP should give HPL a call. I am only saying this because I have talked with Dave at HPL, and if you want the best then you just step up to a different oil.

If you give HPL a call you will get exactly the oil you want, or at least close to it.

I'm not going to go digging up PDS's to see if this is still correct, but you may look at Castrol. Last I looked, they were on the thicker side generally speaking. I wanted the thickest MS-6395 for my Chrysler warranty and Edge EP is what I went with.

I agree with the sentiment - that much change as a percentage in my mind is a lot to this crowd. Why would they do that... mileage claims?

I reached out for confirmation from Mobil 1 since this isn't an insignificant change, but got no response of value.

5w-30 in general i think got a bit lighter since 03, but not at operating temp. API did Resource Conserving and lowered the cold flow by 5 deg back in the SN change over i think.

5w-30 SN/SP is indicated as backward compatible, if your car is rated for 5w-30 SM then every 5w-30 SN/SP is ok to use. There is no need or benefit of going to a 5w-40 in my opinion, but Mobil does make one. They make the euro 0w-40 and 5w-40. Unless you live in a terribly cold place, you can swap to 5w-40 mobil one euro. But i believe you are overthinking it, I run 5w-30 EP in my new rav4 and its rated for 0w-16...lol I live in a hot as hell place fyi, it is rare to even see freezing temperature in the morning.

Reactions: 69P
Fair point on interpretation of significant, but still subjective when only have 13psi to work with in a high milage vehicle.

The changes in viscosities appear to be 10-20% (check out 10w30hm). You make your own assessment. I think thats big.

I typically stay within grade so changing to a 40 grade makes me nervous, but it seems like a great oil. My main concern is overcorrecting to where flow and subsequent heat transfer is negatively impacted.
Contrary to popular wisdom, my vehicles actually run cooler with 10w-40. ;)

Thanks all for the replies and suggestions.

Im on the fence of using the 0w40 fs and going for the esp5w30. Are there no problems, or downsides, with using the esp oils since they are formulated more towards cars with emissions devices my car does not have?

Thanks all for the replies and suggestions.

Im on the fence of using the 0w40 fs and going for the esp5w30. Are there no problems, or downsides, with using the esp oils since they are formulated more towards cars with emissions devices my car does not have?

While I asked myself the same thing, essentially "would using ESP oil be bad since it is designed for emissions controls my car does not have," I am hard-pressed to find an answer why that would be the case.

M1 0W-40 HTHS 3.6
M1 ESP 5W-30 HTHS 3.5

Both of those are outstanding.

Can't see any problems or downsides using either one.

Fair enough and thanks for the responses. I will likely look at pricing on either ESP 0w30/5w30 or use the 0w40 FS that I have.

I've been burned by "backwards compatible" oils resulting in flat tappet cam wear and engine failure. Now I always question when changes in formulations pop up that are supposedly equivalent. There's no way regulators or oil companies have any regard for aging vehicles.

I put the 0w40 Fs in this afternoon and I'm happy with the results. Its odd because it seems like the engine revs smoother despite the thicker oil. It also seemed like I was accelerating more on light throttle after TC lock up. This is particularly noticeable as TC lock up is around 36mph and I typically drive around 40mph.

Oil pressure is up, but I didn't get a good heat soak today. I think this will be a winner unless mpg tanks.

I put the 0w40 Fs in this afternoon and I'm happy with the results. Its odd because it seems like the engine revs smoother despite the thicker oil. It also seemed like I was accelerating more on light throttle after TC lock up. This is particularly noticeable as TC lock up is around 36mph and I typically drive around 40mph.

Oil pressure is up, but I didn't get a good heat soak today. I think this will be a winner unless mpg tanks.
Well, it's a fantastic oil, so pretty hard to go wrong with.

Back