Mobil 1 no longer factory fill at Aston Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. Wonder why? I think M1 5w-50 was factory fill in the Aston Martin. Castrol is Mobil's #1 competitor.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Interesting. Wonder why? I think M1 5w-50 was factory fill in the Aston Martin. Castrol is Mobil's #1 competitor.

Nope, it was M1 0w40. Mobil 1 5w50 is factory fill in the Mercedes/McLaren SLR "Supercar."

Mobil 1 may have lost Aston Martin, but they gained Bentley. Mobil 1 0w40 is now factory fill in all Bentley engines.

Mobil and BP have a joint downstream marketing arrangement in Europe, since '96. Castrol is owned by BP. Mobil has 51% of the lube operating and marketing aspects of the partnership in Europe. The brands will become interchangeable. No-one will know whats going on....

quote:

Originally posted by Jay:
What sort of Castrol is factory-fill in the AM now? Is it dino or synthetic?

I'm sure it's Formula R 0w40, which is fully synthetic.

Hi,
IMHO Nortones2 has it right
We are talking of "prime supply", Benz for instance does not use only one factory fill - they do use other supplies on a "supply on demand basis" (FUCHS etc). Most others do too

Don't tell Tooslick that Castrol "R" 0w-40 is being supplied though. His panties lose their frills when 0w-40 oils are mentioned. According to him they are too sheer!
Ted - please just buy your non sheer knickers at Walmart and be happy!

And no Ted they are not using 0w-40 synthetics just because this Ford Division (of once proud Brands) is in danger of financial collapse!
Oh well the new head of the Division is an Aussie (Geoff Polites) - now according to some on here he will mandate the use of 25w-70 oils across the board and the world will move on

Regards
Doug

quote:

Originally posted by Doug Hillary:
Benz for instance does not use only one factory fill - they do use other supplies on a "supply on demand basis" (FUCHS etc).

Shell is the primary "first fill" lubricant supplier to DaimlerChrysler in Europe.

quote:

Originally posted by Doug Hillary:

Don't tell Tooslick that Castrol "R" 0w-40 is being supplied though. His panties lose their frills when 0w-40 oils are mentioned. According to him they are too sheer!
Ted - please just buy your non sheer knickers at Walmart and be happy!

I bet Ted would like Castrol's 0w40 though, since it's pretty similar to GC 0w30 in viscosity, it's only a slight bit more (12.9cst at 100c). So I don't think Castrol 0w40 would thin out all that much, since I don't think it contains very many polymers in it.

Hi Patman,

yes it is interesting that most Euro makers have settled on 0w-40 as a Factory fill (or at least as an option to 5w-40).
It was 5w-40 for many years - over a decade for Porsche

Most Euro makers seem more concerned at minimising thickening than temporary thinning
as per the ACEA protocols. This applies to LD & HD diesel oils as well of course

I believe that it has much to do with cold oil valve train (and component) actuation and Turbo ramp up speeds

Regards
Doug

I was just reading over on the Castrol global web site and it seems Castrol has replaced Mobil 1 as factory fill at Aston Martin. In fact, in addition to BMW, Castrol is now factory fill not only at Aston Martin, but but also at Jaguar, Land Rover, and Volvo. (NB: The parent company for these four manufacturers is Ford Motor Company.)

Most Euro makers seem more concerned at minimising thickening than temporary thinning
as per the ACEA protocols.I thought there was all this talk of these modern SM oils were much better that the old oils, but if 5w30 still sheers then we should stick with 10w30.
With all this talk AGAIN of Sheer stability it seems to come down to the spec of the builder. If all engines were the same the 5/20 would be used across the board.

quote:

Originally posted by Vspec:
Funny, I figured that Ford Motor Company would be using MotorCraft oil to fill all factory vehicles.

It may not be right, but i've read that Ford actually only markets the motorcraft oil. They have a different supplier for factory fill.

WHAT???? Ford is NOT wanting the much hyped 5W-20 in their engines??? OMG!!!!!!
gr_eek2.gif

quote:

Originally posted by LubeOiler:
as per the ACEA protocols.I thought there was all this talk of these modern SM oils were much better that the old oils, but if 5w30 still sheers then we should stick with 10w30.
With all this talk AGAIN of Sheer stability it seems to come down to the spec of the builder. If all engines were the same the 5/20 would be used across the board.

You're talking about two different standards here. ACEA standards are A1, A3, etc. The API (American Petroleum Institute) is responsible for SJ, SL, SM, etc.

This developpment looks like a Ford vs. Chevy debate ... only extrapolated to global proportions. I bet from the instant that Mobil
got their highly publicized 'Mobilo 1 is factory fill' deal, Castrol wanted a similar one for themselves. I'm surprised it took them this
long to get it from Ford.

And we can read between the tea leaves all we want, but I'll bet BITOGers are putting more thought into this than the car companies did.
Most oils (especially the synthetics) are "good enough" for use as any factory fill so I don't believe the analysis they did would
impress most of use.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

It would be interesting to find out if they are actually using 5w20 for initial fill or if they only have to "recommend" it and use it in the vehicles they test for govt mpg ratings.

Then again, breaking an engine in on 5w20 might be ideal, then switching to 5w30 or 10w30 after 1000 miles.

I think Castrol has been teamed up with Volvo since before the Ford marriage.

Factory fill for Jaguar has always been Castrol -at least as long as I have been buying them.

The 2004 model I have recommends Castrol right on the oil fill cap - earlier models were not so brazen.

Despite FoMoCo ownership, Jaguar does not recommend 5/20. For the 4.2 AJ V8, 5/30 minimum SJ is recommended, 0/30, 0/40, and 5/40 are permitted.

Don't know about Aston or Land Rover, but their V8 engines are designed off the Jaguar AJ V8.

So was the Ford 3.9 but it omits the variable valve timing, cam phasing, and some of the other premium features of the AJ V8. I wonder if it uses 5/20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back