Mobil 1 New Tech Sheets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do not know if it has been mentioned yet but Mobil 1 has put up a whole new set of Tech Data sheets. Some different numbers to.

Good Day,
Steven
patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by icruse:
Do not know if it has been mentioned yet but Mobil 1 has put up a whole new set of Tech Data sheets. Some different numbers to.

What's the url? I was looking at the Mobil 1 online spec sheet last night and it's the same one that's been up since February.

When you click on Mobil1.com then you go to the Resource Library and then you click on the Automotive oils and then click on the viscocity of your choice.
This is a NEW sheet, totally different than last week.
The pour numbers for 5W30 is now -45, and the flash is only 435.
The flash for the 10W30 is now 474.

Good Day,
Steven

I see what your saying. These are "typical" numbers though and will have some variances.

Interesting. Now the question remains, did they reformulate recently to warrant this sudden change?

Finally, this is much better. Thanks for the heads up.

Mobil insists that M1 is still PAO. They say that the new additive package is what's making pour point higher.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Interesting. Now the question remains, did they reformulate recently to warrant this sudden change?

The numbers listed for the oils are all within typical mfg variance of the previous specs.

Thanks for the heads-up, icruise. We finally have published HTHS specs from Mobil 1.
smile.gif

What's next, NOACK volatility?

quote:

The numbers listed for the oils are all within typical mfg variance of the previous specs

It looks that way. M1 is group IV, you don't have to worry about that.
Product data sheet has 10w-30 @ 10cSt while the other one has it a 9.8. Ht/Hs is 3.17 or 3.2 like it has been. There will always be slight variances to these numbers. BTW, I still don't see specs. being as vital as previously thought. When you look at all the analsyis comparing M1 to oils with higher specs, it made NO difference.
smile.gif

[ April 05, 2003, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: buster ]

Did they change the wording. For example:
Whats the difference between 'pour point' and 'pumpability limit'?

See here:
Link to Mobil doc

??:
Mobil 1 with SuperSynTM 15W-50
Flows at -45°C (-49°F),

But:
15w50 Pumpability Limit,°C (°F)
-37° (-35°)

(undummy - I edited your link to clean up the display -David)

[ April 05, 2003, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: OneQuartLow ]

Was looking through the Oz Mobil sitethis morning, and came across thie statement in the 5W-50 Data sheet.

quote:

Mobil v 5W-50 is the ultimate performance, fully synthetic race proven engine oil designed to provide unsurpassed protection for the engines of all petrol, LPG and diesel powered passenger cars, light trucks, 4WD's and vans. Mobil v 5W-50 is particularly suitable for high performance engines, especially those fitted with turbochargers, operating under the most severe conditions. This oil is formulated from wax-free synthesised hydrocarbons and a unique, proprietary additive system to provide exceptional thermal and oxidation stability.

The other M1 grades are stated to be synthesised hydrocarbons.

Had a former castrol tech tell me that M1 5W-50 was going hydrocracked, but paid little regard to it.

Still the statement on it's own doesn't mean much.

Does it really matter what it's made of if it continues to perform as it does?

Yeah it does matter when your paying $5 a quart. Some people want synthetic oil and not some rerererefined formulated hydrocrackaddict dino/mineral oil.

As far as I can tell(or until someone proves otherwise) Mobil1 is still a real synthetic. But the drop in flash has me worried. Also, various data in the Mobil1 website conflicts with specs elsewhere in the Mobil1 site. Concerning the viscosity change---maybe Mobil1 is reading this forum and other automotive forums with analysis? If they are, please update the entire M1 site and make delvac1 available in quarts everywhere!

Why would a castrol tech know anything about mobil1? Sounds like cheap "used car salesman"-like tactics too me.

new formula, improved formula, trisynth, supersyn.......whats next?

Well, then, change the concept. Consider the price as the cost of performance, not of materials.

What disturbs me about the new specs is that the Mobil 1 0w-20 bottle says "Recommended for Ford & Honda 5w-20 Service". I took that to mean that it had Ford and Honda approval, i.e. passing Ford's tough double-length sequence IIIF test. There's no mention of Ford or Honda approval on the spec sheet. Is that double-speak on the bottle, or did they just forget? I'll call monday and find out.

Jay, it may be nothing more than that fact the oil complies with the current Ford and Honda recommendations for 20 weight for some of their vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back