Mobil 1 MX4t 10w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it be ok to run Mobil's 10w-40 MC oil in a car? I like this grade and would like to try it.
smile.gif

From Mobil's web page:

Mobil 1 MX4T is designed for sport bikes. Most of these bikes have multi-cylinder/multi-valve engines and use a common sump, which means the engine oil lubricates the engine, transmission and wet clutch. So unlike Mobil 1 for cars, Mobil 1 MX4T has no friction modifiers, which could lead to clutch slippage.
The motorcycle oil also has more phosphorus/zinc for enhanced wear protection at high engine speeds and high loads. Remember, most bikes don't have catalytic converters, so higher levels of phosphorus are not a problem.

In addition, Mobil 1 MX4T uses different dispersant/detergent technology for better high-temperature performance and engine cleanliness. Mobil 1 MX4T is also offered in a different viscosity grade than Mobil 1 for passenger cars.

Buster, are you obsessing on 40 weights? You've been asking and posting about them for weeks. We all thought that you'd decided to go with the Delvac 1 after a score of members convinced you that it would be OK for your 4 cylinder.

Why would you even think of a motorcycle oil? The additive package is inappropriate.

I'm using D1. I'm not obsessing over anything, just exploring the option. It was also mentioned in a thread months ago that this would be a solid oil in a gas engine. Thats what this site is for. I see this wt. on the shelf where as D1 I have to order. It aslo would shear less being a 10w, so as you can see, it makes sense to raise the question. (a little logic?)
wink.gif

[ March 22, 2003, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

I'm sure it would work well and it has nice specs. It's pretty expensive though. IMO Redline makes better automotive oils in that price range.

The specs are good. I see this oil at autozone and advanced auto parts all the time. I still can't confirm if it can be used in a car. Mobil's website does mention that you can't use car oil in a bike, but they don't really say specifically you can't use the MX4T in a car. I wish Mobil made a 10w-40 car oil. It would balance out there line and be a good choice for older engines with high mileage. It's more curiousity for me then anything. I don't have access to D1 around here, so I order it from a specialy lube plance 2hrs from away. If MX4t was ok to use in cars, which it sounds like it really is not, I'd give it a shot.

[ March 23, 2003, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by YZF150:
Buster, are you obsessing on 40 weights? You've been asking and posting about them for weeks. We all thought that you'd decided to go with the Delvac 1 after a score of members convinced you that it would be OK for your 4 cylinder.

Why would you even think of a motorcycle oil? The additive package is inappropriate.

I, too, am obsessing about 40 weights (whether or not Buster is admiting to it)
grin.gif

I'm considering using one in a camry V6 even though $4 to $5 10w30 oils are doing o.k. I'd like to lower Lead in UOA to less than 10ppm.

I think the M1 15w50 would be the better option. Cold flow of the M1 15w50 is very good. The sacrifice is lower gas mileage with 17 cst at 100c. For summer and mild winters, I like Delvac 1300 15w40.

But I may be searching for something unattainable. Maybe 10ppm lead is what my engine is supposed to show at 6K intervals. Either way I'm not willing to spend $6 or more per quart of oil (Redline, Amsoil). If thicker is not better, my preference is Schaeffer Blend 5w30 or 10w30. They have a very nice balance of cold weather capability, HTHS of 3.5, and FM's for gas engines. (and nice tannic overtones....)

[ March 23, 2003, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: jjbula ]

OOPS....

I forgot about Schaeffer Blend 15w40. This would be what I would use before the Mobil Motorcycle oil. Even delivered it's less.

No I don't sell Schaeffer, please disregard my preference for it if you want to stay in the Mobil synthetic world.

Cheers,

cheers.gif

I put MX4T in my Civic once because it was the only oil I had and I was too lazy to go buy something cheaper.

Mixing M1 15w50 and 10w30 would give near the same viscosity and at a cheaper price.

Al,

Maybe you are right about the FM issue but this is what Mobil says about 15w50:

quote:

Mobil 1 with SuperSynTM 15W-50 is especially suitable for high-performance cars, particularly hot-running or heavily loaded vehicles and special high-tech imports.

My understanding is that M1 15w50 is not primarily intended for diesels like the 15w40's are.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
The specs are good. I see this oil at autozone and advanced auto parts all the time. I still can't confirm if it can be used in a car. Mobil's website does mention that you can't use car oil in a bike, but they don't really say specifically you can't use the MX4T in a car. I wish Mobil made a 10w-40 car oil.

Their 0w40 more than covers the need for 10w40. If you look at it's specs, it's very similar to most 10w40s in viscosity at 40c and 100c. It's just that in extreme cold it flows better. So why would Mobil 1 need to make a 10w40?

I just figured the 0w-40 would thin down to a 30wt., but I guess even if it did, it would be a high 30wt.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I just figured the 0w-40 would thin down to a 30wt., but I guess even if it did, it would be a high 30wt.

Keep in mind that most 10w40s thin out to a 30wt too.

To answer the thread starter, go for it. I've used it in my car and motorcycles. Since it is an engine oil, I see no reason why it can't be used. Until someone proves otherwise, lets quit the hearsay.

But, at $8 a quart, I'd prefer the $4 quart Mobil1(got rid of bike). Plus, now they have 0w40, and Delvac1 5w40 is easier to find now.

Your car has to be an oil burner to have to worry about the additives in motorcycle oil. More and more new motorcycles have catalytics.

If it works great on 12k rpm motors, I think that it should be an excellent higher mileage(or desert weather) car engine oil(adding my own hearsay).

Mobil1 makes the 10w40 and 20w50 because their marketing department wants them to. The price markup is huge. The profit is "use your imagination". Since I only did one oil change a year at the beginning of riding season, the cost of Mx4t wasn't an issue.

Does anyone have an analysis on this oil?
I think that it is time for mileage comparison to see if it prevents wear and can last the mileage needed to offset the cost. Any volunteers?

Patman, good point, as always.

unDummy, your right about the cost, I don't think it's worth it. I didn't realize it cost that much.

JohnnyG- Yes, aren't we all oil obsessers? We are a different breed, that is for sure.
grin.gif

If you are considering using the Motorcycle oil that is designed to accomplish two purposes-lubricate the tranny and the engine portion there may be other considerations. My understanding is that 15W-50 has no friction modifiers so perhaps a misture of the 10W-30 and 15W-50 could meet your needs. The MX4T is about $3 more in my area.
But anyway if you use it (MX4T)-it would be interesting to make a comprison with regular M1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back