Mobil 1 mixing

Have some M1 0w-20 left, and some M1 0w-40. Thinking of mixing 50/50 to use up in a 2014 Chevy Volt that specs dexos 5W-30.

I’ve looked at the VOAs. The 0w-40 uses a lot more calcium and a lot less magnesium than the other two. Thoughts? If I’m doing the math right, my viscosity should come out to 62 @ 210F which is good.

I wouldn't M1 AFE 0W-20 uses a special lower SAPS add package and 0W-40 is a classic full SAPS euro oil, plus I think the euro oil uses a little bit of POE to increase solubility while the rest of mobil 1 uses AN, all oil can intermix and mixing dissimilar oils shouldn't cause any damage but it's not optimal.

If im not mistaken your older volt is port injected not direct injected like the newer one and unless im wrong about that nothing's gonna happen to that engine.

I wouldn't M1 AFE 0W-20 uses a special lower SAPS add package and 0W-40 is a classic full SAPS euro oil, plus I think the euro oil uses a little bit of POE to increase solubility while the rest of mobil 1 uses AN, all oil can intermix and mixing dissimilar oils shouldn't cause any damage but it's not optimal.
The mixture doesn’t have a dexos license that’s for sure.

The mix will become a super oil !
No it obviously won’t and nobody suggested that.

I have 1/2 full containers, that I will never use up. Hence the question. I’d rather not take brand new oil to AutoZone for recycling.

Thanks for the wisdom.

As long as the mixed oils have an API license or have otherwise independently passed ASTM D6922 then they are miscible. Which doesn’t mean they still retain any license, certification or approval the individual oils may have originally held.

The mix will become a super oil !

mario.gif

Is “SAPS” mostly a function of ZDDP? M1 AFE 0w-30 has a zinc level about 1/2 way between the -20 and the -40, would you call it mid-SAPS?

Is “SAPS” mostly a function of ZDDP? M1 AFE 0w-30 has a zinc level about 1/2 way between the -20 and the -40, would you call it mid-SAPS?
Not completely, a lot of diesel oils have more ZDDP than mobil 1 0W40 yet produce only 3/4 of the amount of ash, other additives contribute to the formation of ash, lower SAPS oils tend to use newer more expensive low ash anti oxidant additives and mobil 1 AFE uses less ZDDP than the rest of the mobil1 API/ILSAC line-up and probably contains a lot of organic friction modifiers.

Not completely, a lot of diesel oils have more ZDDP than mobil 1 0W40 yet produce only 3/4 of the amount of ash, other additives contribute to the formation of ash, lower SAPS oils tend to use newer more expensive low ash anti oxidant additives and mobil 1 AFE uses less ZDDP than the rest of the mobil1 API/ILSAC line-up and probably contains a lot of organic friction modifiers.
But one molecule of ZDDP is going to produce the same result as any other molecule of ZDDP in the sulfated ash test.

I wouldn't put any single thinner than specced by the manufacturer
component into a mix, even not when the second component is thicker
to compensate. I also wouldn't mix them when the additive packages
are entirely different. Two very similar oils except the viscosity - perhaps.
In an emergeny case - surely. But not in this case. You can't control the
outcome. Both are excellent oils, too good to waste them. Appropriate
Dexos oils are easily available.

Last edited:
As long as the mixed oils have an API license or have otherwise independently passed ASTM D6922 then they are miscible. Which doesn’t mean they still retain any license, certification or approval the individual oils may have originally held.

What about mixing an SN rated oil with SP rated? API says oils are backwards compatible so unless there is something I'm not seeing?

I have a jug and a half of M1 0w-40 and and M1 EP 0w-20. Was planning to use 5 quarts M1 EP 0w-20 and 0.8 quarts of 0w-40 at a time to use up the 0w-40.

What about mixing an SN rated oil with SP rated? API says oils are backwards compatible so unless there is something I'm not seeing?

I have a jug and a half of M1 0w-40 and and M1 EP 0w-20. Was planning to use 5 quarts M1 EP 0w-20 and 0.8 quarts of 0w-40 at a time to use up the 0w-40.
All that backwards compatible means is that as API licenses are issued you can use a later one in place of an earlier one that may be specified in your owner’s manual. That doesn’t speak to anything about mixing oils. Miscibility is governed by what I noted above but that does not guarantee the continuity of any license. Different manufacturers and different blenders use different additive packages that are formulated to meet the licensing requirements. When you mix them there is no guarantee that they would still meet the requirements for that license.

Back