Mobil-1 M1-104A Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Filter has almost exactly 10k miles and exactly 1 year (2 OCIs). Nothing remarkable about the can or ADBV, so I'm just showing the media. Looks like a solid product, and I could find no flaws. Generous amounts of glue. I let it dry in a paper towel for about a week. From a 2002 Honda Odyssey with 132k miles.

fullsizeoutput_93f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_93a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_940.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by LeakySeals
Wow. That engine is clean

Not sure what you mean, but I did let the filter drain and dry for a week so it'd be easier to see the media itself.

It's as if M1 filters are deliberately making poor pleat spacing to tell us that it makes no difference if the media is of good quality. What oil grade you use?

Originally Posted by Dyusik
It's as if M1 filters are deliberately making poor pleat spacing to tell us that it makes no difference if the media is of good quality. What oil grade you use?
I agree, a Puro with spacing like that would have torn on BOTH sides of the seam! Did anyone ever figure out who was making these now that Fram/Champ quit making them?

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
I agree, a Puro with spacing like that would have torn on BOTH sides of the seam! Did anyone ever figure out who was making these now that Fram/Champ quit making them?

I have cut open lots of M1 filters, and none of them have been that bad for pleat spacing.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle

Champ still makes them
smile.gif

They still have that same yellow-dotted date code and made in the US

Originally Posted by Pinoak
Nice filter media. Could have gone another 10k easily

I left that same filter on my dad's Honda for 5 years and 15K miles.

I didn't cut filter open. Just drain and refill oil once a year.

The pleat spacing was uniform, except at the seam, which is what's shown in 2 of the 3 photos. This was PUP 5W30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back