Mobil 1 LV HP ATF in a F150

I have a '15 F150 with 2.7 and a 6r80 trans that has torque converter shudder. I got it to stop with Shudder Stop additive, but at 129,000 miles it needs a fluid change. I know that Mobil 1LV HP is the go to to stop shudder in GM 8 speed torque converters, and that there is overlap in Dextron/Mercon LV fluids. Would I bee too far off the ranch by putting Mobil 1LV HP in my truck?

At that mileage and that you got it to stop with an additive it'd appear as though you probably just need an additive refresh. I would probably just rock with whatever dexron vi/mercon lv you could choose.

I read on lubegards page u can modify multi atf to fix that with their additive but I'm not sure it's the same one u used. Check them out. Either that or flush with the M1 LV HP

It looks like Dexron HP (LV) is different from Mercon LV.

Valvoline produces a synthetic Dexron-VI/Mercon LV fluid:

While Mobil's Dexron-VI fluid is not synthetic, but rather a synthetic blend:

I'd probably go with the Valvoline product, personally.

It looks like Dexron HP (LV) is different from Mercon LV.

Valvoline produces a synthetic Dexron-VI/Mercon LV fluid:

While Mobil's Dexron-VI fluid is not synthetic, but rather a synthetic blend:

I'd probably go with the Valvoline product, personally.
Yeah … it came out north of the 6 speeds - think Tig is the only off the plantation user I have seen here - lots of miles in his Ford Fusion … think its a majority GTL product …

I've been using M1 LV HP ATF in my 2017 Ford Fusion for a couple of years now with very good results. It shifts better up and down than the Valvoline LV ATF I used before. I order it from O'Reilly auto parts in a six pack.

I've been using M1 LV HP ATF in my 2017 Ford Fusion for a couple of years now with very good results. It shifts better up and down than the Valvoline LV ATF I used before. I order it from O'Reilly auto parts in a six pack.
Why the change? Were you experiencing TC shudder? What was the OE fluid? There was a comment on the M1 LV HP page about using LV HP in a fusion.

Why the change? Were you experiencing TC shudder? What was the OE fluid? There was a comment on the M1 LV HP page about using LV HP in a fusion.
No shudder, but sometimes the shifting was a little strange. So when I found out about M1s LV ATF I tried it with good results.

Just to follow up. The factory Motorcraft LV fluid in the 6R80 made it to 140,000 miles with 1 dose Lubegard Shudder stop (10,000 miles) before the shudder returned. At that point I changed the filter, added a Dorman pan with drain, and swapped out about 7 qts with Valvoline Maxlife. The pan and magnets were very clean, but the fluid was brown. It does shifter better, and the sometimes rough 5-4 downshift is still not perfect, but it's noticeably better.

Next fluid swap will probably be at 150,000 miles drained through the cooler line. I figure up to 12 qts this way. I'm trying to buy a salvage car for my wife which will be about 1600 miles round trip pulling 6000ish lb. I'll probably swap right after if I wind up making that trip.

Just to follow up. The factory Motorcraft LV fluid in the 6R80 made it to 140,000 miles with 1 dose Lubegard Shudder stop (10,000 miles) before the shudder returned. At that point I changed the filter, added a Dorman pan with drain, and swapped out about 7 qts with Valvoline Maxlife. The pan and magnets were very clean, but the fluid was brown. It does shifter better, and the sometimes rough 5-4 downshift is still not perfect, but it's noticeably better.

Next fluid swap will probably be at 150,000 miles drained through the cooler line. I figure up to 12 qts this way. I'm trying to buy a salvage car for my wife which will be about 1600 miles round trip pulling 6000ish lb. I'll probably swap right after if I wind up making that trip.
Did you do a transmission reset to clear the fuzzy shifting logic? This has made large improvements to the “lingering” issues that seem to happen when just a fluid change is done. You can do perform the reset with ForScan for free if you’ve got the right cable…

Did you do a transmission reset to clear the fuzzy shifting logic? This has made large improvements to the “lingering” issues that seem to happen when just a fluid change is done. You can do perform the reset with ForScan for free if you’ve got the right cable…
Thank you for the reply. I've got the cable forscan cable, but never got the app. I need to turn on my brake controller and want to turn on bambi mode. Honestly, I'm almost delighted with how well this trans shifts. I probably won't be messing with it. 5-4 is a known issue, and there's a flash to fix it. For me it's not worth the money to fix it.

Back