Mobil 1, K&N, AC Delco, and STP filters look alike

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL.gif
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
LOL. I noticed the same think today!
Here are pictures of 2 filters ranging in price from $3 to $13 IIRC.
oilfilter1.jpg

oilfilter2.jpg

Hint: one package claims "traps nearly 2 times more dirt than leading national brand [...] SAE HS806" and the other states "stores more contaminants 2x more capacity vs leading brand SAE test HS806".

Questions for the audience: what are the brands and how are they different (if any). Answer will follow.

Edit: the picture insert is broke?

And the winner is ... drums ... Drew99gt

Here are more pictures:
oilfilter3.jpg

Yes, the media may or may not be the same, but looks surprisingly similar through the holes.
Notice the specs and test results on the box are identical.
This would not be the first time to have similar products available both at brand and generic prices.
Similar issue with Purolator and AA Totalgrip filters (sadly discontinued now).

Edit: can someone teach me how to insert pictures directly?

Last edited:
you did it right, but you have to remove the spaces between the
and the link so that it's right up against your link and it will work. Also get rid of anything after the .jpg part. (?t=1246119372)

No difference in metal thickness. Identical metal parts. Valve color is different for sure and this is the only difference I can tell. I guess I can cut the filters and check the media but don't want to waste new filters.

Edit: I just weighed the filters and supertech filter is 6.2 while mobil 1 is 6.9 oz. So, I guess there could be some difference in media or minimal difference in thickness (we are talking about 10% difference).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I know for a fact the M1 has better media. You can test the can thickness by squeezing the can.

These cans cannot be squeezed at all!

I also have the purulator and it's AA totalgrip clone (for the same application) and they are also hard to squeeze and weight similar (6.7 oz). So, I don't believe there is a significant difference in metal.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Here`s my car`s oil filter. This is after a 3 month oci on Valvoline wb:
30k8v4m.jpg

5ltriv.jpg

Rookie photos,cut that baby open!!!! show us the good stuff
grin2.gif

Perhaps we can all make our images just a little bit bigger.

be kind ..re-size when uploading to your hosting site. Either that or use thumbnails. Scrolling is too much work to read the text after an image this big is introduced into the thread.

55.gif

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Perhaps we can all make our images just a little bit bigger.

be kind ..re-size when uploading to your hosting site. Either that or use thumbnails. Scrolling is too much work to read the text after an image this big is introduced into the thread.

55.gif

Sorry :(. I`m kinda new to this image hosting thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back