Mobil 1 is group III......(According to an uneducated amsoil rep)

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by HOndaGuy:
This is not a diss to amsoil dealers or the product, just idiots in the industry who know about little to nothing.

I was at the new baltimore pwc races last saturday, and happen to be by the amsoil tent. The guy was really pushing amsoil as the end of all oils, saying its the best oil there is. Im thinking, ok, typical dealer speal as usual.

I talked to a couple of Amsoil salesmen back in the early 80's at a local state fair. They sounded like they were selling "snake oil" and I thanked them for their time and walked away. Because of this, I never tried Amsoil and became a Mobil 1 fan shortly after, although I know many people who use Amsoil and swear by it. Here we are, 20+ years later and the "snake oil" sales people are still around for Amsoil and other products, doing their respective companies a disservice.

Regards,
paul...

Amsoil isn't bad stuff, I just don't like 1) the high price and 2) the MLM sales technique which leads to the sometimes correct perception of Amsoil reps as snake oil salesmen.

What's funny ..or rather "odd" is that the original M1 5w-20 had an "*" attached to the term "100% synthetic". It disinctly conceded "*except for conventional carrier something or other".

That is no longer on label. So I guess its safe to assume that the additive package comes mixed to Mobil in POA's now or maybe ester.

When people say an oil is 100%PAO they are refering to the base stock minus any correction fluids used or ester's used as carriers for additive package. So it is still correct to call M1 100%PAO. Ask Molakule or Terry if I am correct or wrong. I do not know what the cut off is percentage wise for what qualifys as a correction fluid and what has to be counted as part of the base stock formulation???

quote:

Originally posted by Bob Woods:
My research a few years ago found that MobilOne is mostly PAO (at least 90%), with a small amount of Dino oil containing the additive package, and at that time a small amount of ester based oil to balance the oil seal swell/shrink properties of the oil. PAOs are highly refined chemically altered hydrocarbons and they too come out of the ground just like dino oil.

I don't think they use Dino with the add package any more. This was discussed previously. It may not be 100% PAO, but it is 100% synthetic (no dino at all).

I just refuse to believe anything that comes out of a dealers mouth if they haven't browsed these boards!!!!!!!!

If they're a dealer worth his/her salt, they definitely should be browsing these boards...

Why sell something you're not interested in and have no passion for?

Earlier M1 formulations ie Trisynthetic had the "exclusive of carrier" oil note on the bottles.

Newer SuperSyn does not, other credible posters here have noted the significance is that newer additive suites no longer necessitate a mineral oil and can be into the Group 4 or 5 base oil.

About the rep, I no longer have any doubts about the Amsoil being a top tier lubricant manafacturer. However the dealers poorly though out slander of M1 paints Amsoil in poor light.

Me? I knock domestic Castrol and Fram all the time for certain reasons. However I use German Castrol for other reasons too
smile.gif

Both Amsoil and Mobil 1 have used synthetic fluids - esters/AN's - as oil additive carriers for years. That's what the "100% synthetic" means on the Amsoil packaging.

I should note there are many oils, particularly in Europe that use a blend of PAO and Group III stocks. This turns out to be the lowest cost approach to meeting many of the European OEM specifications. The 5w-40 Syntec is such an oil, I believe. In this case, some PAO is required to meet the VW TDI engine test for piston deposits and ring stickage....

It's all about making the best fully formulated oil at a particular price point, which is a function of both the basestock blend and the additive chemistry.

TS

The real lesson here is choose your Amsoil dealer wisely or deal direct with Amsoil Corporate.

Who is supposed to be able to read ANY of these links other than the grade? The first link, babelfish, hijacked my browser. Ya oughtta erase all of em. The others are Chinese or some such.

Why'd you post those, Pri?

Try and you will success. BTW, the oil composition is visible even without Babelfish and I used it just to get details (like f.ex., all grades are in API SM/CF though, depending on encoding, the bottles may show API SL/CF)

Mobil1 5W-30 / 10W-30
“… individual advanced based oil (PAO+Hydroprocessed) is the advanced chemosynthesis oil which the various additives balance well is combined…".

Mobil1 5W-50 / 0W-40 / 5W-40 / 15W-50 / 0W-30
“… designates PAO as the main component, it is 100% chemosynthesis oil which the various additives balance well is combined…”.

However, the word “chemosynthesis” was pricking up my ears and what description I could find at another japanese page www.webcg.net/WEBCG/special/2005/mobil1/etc/02.html:

“The "chemosynthesis oil", the naphtha which refined the crude oil (light gasoline) and the like from with the high-class based oil which is chemosynthesized, the high performance which is stabilized in under all conditions is shown vis-a-vis this. It is possible the "part synthetic oil", mixed the "mineral oil" and the "chemosynthesis oil", economical efficiency of former and to adjust the latter high performance the based oil which it had.”

We need somebody who will make us a normal translation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back