Mobil 1 is group III......(According to an uneducated amsoil rep)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not a diss to amsoil dealers or the product, just idiots in the industry who know about little to nothing.

I was at the new baltimore pwc races last saturday, and happen to be by the amsoil tent. The guy was really pushing amsoil as the end of all oils, saying its the best oil there is. Im thinking, ok, typical dealer speal as usual.

Then I start talking about how I use amsoil in my 4 stroke jet ski and I use the mobil 1 in my car. He flat out acted like an *** and told me mobil 1 wasn't synthetic, just a blended oil. I told him mobil 1 was 100% pao, a group 4 oil which can only be a true synthetic. Yet, he still continues to be on this Mobil isn't synthetic speal even though I told him that amsoil gets their basestocks from mobil. Then he tells me exxon tried to buy mobil from them, and yada yada yada.

What a bunch of **, this dealer had no clue what he was talking about. Telling me mobil 1 was a group 3 oil, just blended. Then he had the nerve to tell me that the 2 stroke oils are twcIII and api tc certified when they only meet recommendations(which we all know from looking at the bottle. I even pointed to him on the bottle that they aren't certified, only say they meet requirements. What a crock of ****, Im embarassed that we have idiots like this out there.

Sorry for the rant, I hope any of you oil dealers aren't misinformed like this ******* was!!!!!!!!

grin.gif
This is why he is a sales man and not a chemist
shocked.gif

As far as I can tell, the Amsoil guys here are pretty much on top of their game. Pablo even has nice things to say about Redline.
cool.gif
There is much to be said for straight talk.

From Mobil.

quote:

Thank you for your inquiry,

Mobil 1 motor oils are still 100% synthetic as it has always been.
Mobil 1 motor oils are comprised of high performance synthetic baseoils,
which are the PAO's and a carefully selected additive package that is
specifically tailored for each viscosity. Mobil 1 motor oils are very
unique in nature and our competition makes it appear that their
products
are similar, but that is simply not true. Mobil does not discuss too
much about formulation because our competition would love to get a hold
of this information.

--
Thank you for choosing ExxonMobil products.
If you need further assistance, please contact ExxonMobil at
1-800-ASK-MOBIL

XOM is one of, if not the largest producer of PAO's. The jointly own Infineum, an additive company jointly owned with Shell Chemical.

I should start spreading rumors that Amsoil is a group I. Idiots. Even if it was, who cares...

Amsoil lost me as a customer, not because of the product quality, but bc of it's MLM style. I just can't over look it.

Just tell guys like that: It is NOT what Amsoil says, trains, publishes or otherwise......you are making stuff up on your own.

And he sounds amazingly like the dudes in auto parts store...in the LOK* department.

*LOK = lack of knowledge

speedtc is correct.at the 2004 sema show,i had a
face to face with mobil's head chemist.he stated
each grade is a combination of 'high performance
baseoils' but "no grade is 100% pao"..all grades excede api reqirements.
patriot.gif

Duh, of course it's not 100% PAO. It also contains Group V basestocks as well called Alkylated Nathalenes. AN's were designed to replace expensive esters but it hasn't happend yet. Molekule knows about this. No such thing as a 100% PAO oil.

My research a few years ago found that MobilOne is mostly PAO (at least 90%), with a small amount of Dino oil containing the additive package, and at that time a small amount of ester based oil to balance the oil seal swell/shrink properties of the oil. PAOs are highly refined chemically altered hydrocarbons and they too come out of the ground just like dino oil.

quote:

Originally posted by HOndaGuy:

What a bunch of **, this dealer had no clue what he was talking about. Telling me mobil 1 was a group 3 oil, just blended.

Unfortunately, this kind of dealers are EVERYWHERE in the world... As Pablo said, that dealer was another one from the LOK department. But I think that he was also from the BTBS department.
lol.gif

BTBS = Born To Be Stupid

Amsoil will get more and more dealers (aka morons) like this.

This is what happens when THEY let people pay a little fee to become a dealer...This really is nothing new here.

I'm glad people didn't pile on the Amsoil dealers as a whole. They are just people, nothing really especially homogenous about them. Some people act like know-it-alls when they really know very little. Makes no difference whether a particular person is a doctor or a ditch-digger...either can be pesky rumour-mongers spewing junk, or either can be sharp as a tack with the best of social graces, and know when they have the facts vs when they don't have a clue.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
From Mobil.

quote:

Thank you for your inquiry,

Mobil 1 motor oils are still 100% synthetic as it has always been.
Mobil 1 motor oils are comprised of high performance synthetic baseoils,
which are the PAO's and a carefully selected additive package that is
specifically tailored for each viscosity. Mobil 1 motor oils are very
unique in nature and our competition makes it appear that their
products
are similar, but that is simply not true. Mobil does not discuss too
much about formulation because our competition would love to get a hold
of this information.

--
Thank you for choosing ExxonMobil products.
If you need further assistance, please contact ExxonMobil at
1-800-ASK-MOBIL

What's funny ..or rather "odd" is that the original M1 5w-20 had an "*" attached to the term "100% synthetic". It disinctly conceded "*except for conventional carrier something or other". This just didn't evaporate with an email from Mobil.
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back