Mobil 1 Home Brew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I am aware of the 2000 Cobra R oil recommendation. I thought I would look at the sample of 10W-30 I just took, and then look at the sample of this 15W-50/10W-30 blend and go from there. The Cobra R was limited production and I think that they are driven hard, or at least Ford expected them to be. Not enough numbers of the 2000 Cobra R cars for CAFE to be a consideration. But three years later with 10,000 Mach 1's in 2003/2004 I think CAFE is a biger factor. I am not bashing 5W-20, I am just experimenting a little with my own car and money to see where it takes me. I still am using 10W-30 in my F250 SD CC and Excursion, but they don't see revs in the 5,000 and above range.

Stay hot in Nevada? You mean it can actually get cold there?
lol.gif
I'm running 4 quarts of 5W-30 and 2 quarts of 15W-50 M1 in my F150 5.4l. As you know, the oil pressure guage on these are trash, but seat of the pants analysis indicated that the piston slap or knock, goes away quicker. I wonder if the high HTHS that I mixed up has anything to do with it.

Yeah, it can get very cold...colder than a well diggers *ss! It doesn't get real cold where I am, usually down to around 10 degrees F...maybe a little lower. In some parts of Nevada it gets worse than that. Have you ever done an analysis on your mix of Mobil 1 that you are running in that F150?

[ April 27, 2004, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: Jakebrake ]

quote:

Originally posted by Jakebrake:
O.K. all you oil freaks(like me), tell me what you think

I have a 2003 Mach 1 with 4.6 liter DOHC V-8. I have been using Mobil 1 10W-30. I am thinking about mixing Mobil 1 15W-50 to increase the HTHS a litle. It takes about 6.5 quarts to bring oil to the full mark. If I add a quart and a half of 15W-50 to 5 quarts of 10W-30, what do you think I will end up with. I don't know if I need to do this, I am not even sure if it would be beneficial. The car has about 10,000 miles on it now and occasionally I rev it uo to around 5500 rpm, but I don't race it and I don't think I abuse it. Ford specifies 5W-20 oil for this motor, but it has been serviced with Mobil 1 since the first oil change at 370 miles. Should I just leave well enough alone? Thanks...

I thought the proper oil level was 1/2 between the full and add marks in the 4.6L?

Dang, now you making me feel bad, I get it up to at least 5K almost everytime I drive my GT
cheers.gif

just fyi the Mach 1 and Marauder both have the same crappy steel crank as the 2V 4.6s - dont rev em higher than 6500 RPM.

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
just fyi the Mach 1 and Marauder both have the same crappy steel crank as the 2V 4.6s - dont rev em higher than 6500 RPM.

I don't know about the Marauder, but I think the Mach 1 has a forged steel crank with a manual trans and a cast steel crank with the auto trans.

quote:

Originally posted by OiledMustangGT:

quote:

O.K. all you oil freaks(like me), tell me what you think

I have a 2003 Mach 1 with 4.6 liter DOHC V-8. I have been using Mobil 1 10W-30. I am thinking about mixing Mobil 1 15W-50 to increase the HTHS a litle. It takes about 6.5 quarts to bring oil to the full mark. If I add a quart and a half of 15W-50 to 5 quarts of 10W-30, what do you think I will end up with. I don't know if I need to do this, I am not even sure if it would be beneficial. The car has about 10,000 miles on it now and occasionally I rev it uo to around 5500 rpm, but I don't race it and I don't think I abuse it. Ford specifies 5W-20 oil for this motor, but it has been serviced with Mobil 1 since the first oil change at 370 miles. Should I just leave well enough alone? Thanks...

I thought the proper oil level was 1/2 between the full and add marks in the 4.6L?

Dang, now you making me feel bad, I get it up to at least 5K almost everytime I drive my GT
cheers.gif

It takes 6.5 quarts to come about 3/4 of the way up on my dipstick.

How is the 4.6L DOHC from the Lincoln Mark VIII's similiar to the Marauder and Mach I? I ran Mobil-1 5W-30 in the ones I had with great luck...in fact on one trip to the dealer, it had Mobil-1 10W-30 (summer), and the service advisor saw the sticker. He advised to not use 10W-30. So back to a steady use of 5W-30. They all ran great, and were modified, driven hard and raced. Was that 4.6L DOHC crank, rods, etc similiar to the 4.6L's you have? In any regard, the ones I had were very strong. However, the 4.6L GM/Cadillac Northstar engines I have had are head gasket blowing, oil burning, intake leaking Junk!

The 2000 Cobra R was powered by a 5.4L DOHC Ford Modular V-8. It DID NOT have pushrods!!!

The 4.6 DOHC Lincoln engine is very similar, if not the same, as the 4.6 DOHC in the Mach 1.

They are all part of Ford's Modular V-8 engine family. This family all come from development work originally done for a new Lincoln V-8 in the late 1980's.

Ford Modular V-8 family member variations have been made for many cars and trucks and include:
4.6 to 5.4L, SOHC and DOHC, cast iron and aluminum blocks, 2 valve, 3 valve and 4 valve per cylinder heads, normally aspirated and supercharged.
lol.gif

A mechanic friend that has worked on police vehilces for many many years stated the 4.6L SOHC engines have been outlasting the 5.0 and previous engines twice over. I spoke with an oil analysis individual that stated the 4.6L engines wear very well, about 1/4-1/3 the amount of other engines. It seems they are great engines!

The Ford Modular V-8's are not perfect designs but they have turned out to be great engines. I own the Lightning 5.4L SOHC S/C version and the Mustang GT 4.6L SOHC version. They have now been around long enough that most if not all of the little "bugs" have been worked out. Any current, non-modified version should last longer than most people would want to own the vehicle it powers. I'd say 250,000 miles or more easily if not abused.

In stock form the 5.4L are good up to about 450HP and 500 torque. Go beyond that level and they need a serious bottom end build. When the 4.6 first went into the Mustang GT in 96 and even in 99 when the 5.4 S/C went into the 2nd gen Lightning, there was a serious lack of high performance parts. This has all changed today, parts are available to build Ford modular engines that produce over 1000HP and live to tell about it.

Well, I have been meaning to do this for some time...I finally got around to doing it. I took a sample of Mobil 1 10W-30/15W-50 and it is going in the mail on Monday. I had originally mixed 5 qts. of 10W-30 to 1.5 qts. of 15W-50, but when that was due to be changed I forgot to sample it. So tonight I got a sample of 5.5 qts. of 10W-30/1 qt. of 15W-50 and it is going to Blackstone Labs. I also have that old sample of Mobil 1 10W-30, it has been sitting in the garage for about 5 months...I forgot about it. Do you think it is too late to send in? It was sealed in the sample jar.

quote:

Well, I have been meaning to do this for some time...I finally got around to doing it. I took a sample of Mobil 1 10W-30/15W-50 and it is going in the mail on Monday. I had originally mixed 5 qts. of 10W-30 to 1.5 qts. of 15W-50, but when that was due to be changed I forgot to sample it. So tonight I got a sample of 5.5 qts. of 10W-30/1 qt. of 15W-50 and it is going to Blackstone Labs. I also have that old sample of Mobil 1 10W-30, it has been sitting in the garage for about 5 months...I forgot about it. Do you think it is too late to send in? It was sealed in the sample jar.

I believe Terry mentioned in a thread that an oil sample will "age" in some fashion but I don't remember the details. You might try a search, and/or if your lucky, he might see this and chime in.

If you have frequent start-ups in cold weather, then you certainly do not want an oil that is too thick. You need quick pump-up on cold starts. The protective oil film left by M1 should help a lot, but if you have overhead cams, then I think that you want to get oil pressure up there quickly.

Another thing to consider - when I recently switched my 3 cars to M1 from Conventional oil, I noticed that they do not rev as freely now. Others have also had this experience. I was told that synth oil like M1 will "hold grade" better than conventional oil, so it does not thin out as much when it gets hot. Therefore, the engine may not rev as freely. Your desire to go to a thicker mix may hurt mileage -and- performance!

Don't assume that "thicker is better".

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Instead of mixing, why not just go with M1 0w40 instead?

Yeah, I know that I am sick, but I am what I am. -*-*

Well least its not over 40 gallons like me.

Couple choices:
Give some to Church officials or other charity work. Give all as a tithe of some sort.

Continue using what you have.

Go ahead and buy an occasional quart to add to future changes, but buy no more unless you know the change is final

Look into a VII (if you want to continue playing) and try some of that to go with your stash.

Got the results back from Blackstone Labs today. I have posted the results in the UOA Gas Engines section of the forums for anyone who is interested. Looks like I have a slightly thicker SUS viscosity, on the high end for a 10W-30, and good wear numbers for a motor that is still wearing in.

[ August 25, 2004, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: Jakebrake ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back