Mobil 1 HM and Maxlife similar in chemistry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the Mobil 1 rebates upon us I'm thinking about picking up some HM 5w30 for use in a vehicle that I've been running Maxlife in (w/ a very minor oil weep down the crankcase). I still have about 2 qts of Maxlife left so I'd be mixing the next OCI. I know the oils are generally ok to mix in terms of not blowing anythng up but I also know that often times different mfrs have different approaches in their chemistry. I also know the formulas for both these products have changed in recent years and I can't seem to find current apples to apples VOA's to compare.

Does anyone know how the two compare in terms of complimentary add packs, or is one sort of contrary to the other? I'm not really paranoid to mix oils as much as I like to get maximum effect from a certain flavor of oil, each mfr blends it a certain way for a reason. I can see where mixing and matching could get you to a 2+2=3 sort of situation; not dire but not optimum either.

PS - I know Mobil 1 HM is a full syn and ML is a blend, I'm referring to chemistry of the ad packs mainly.

They have different chemistries. M1 uses moly/boron while maxlife uses neither but uses organic friction modifiers instead.

Mixing should not cause any harm but is not ideal. Both are fine products but personally I would not mix them. I would probably use up any leftover maxlife first while building a stash of M1. Mobil usually does the rebate spring and fall with up to 2 rebates each season

Maxlife uses a sodium based add pack while M1 doesn't.
Maxlife did contain moly until a reformulation a few years back.
These are two oils I wouldn't mix. I'd buy additional Valvoline PCMO of any flavor on clearance sufficient to make up one oil change and use up the Maxlife that way.
All API/ILSAC Valvoline PCMOs have a sodium add pack while the Euro cert grades and HDEOs don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back