Mobil 1 HM 5w30, 6.8K OCI, 2006 Expeditition, 172K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going back to Trop Arctic would be good for diagnosing if the engine really has an accelerating wear problem. Stick with it for at least two changes, and see how the numbers change.

Point was that was your go back to syn blend junction - unless you have some other fear of the less expensive oil doing the job on wear but what else ? Changing oil too often a pain etc ? (For me it can be CBU potential etc) ...

Originally Posted By: CT8
The viscosity dropped Close to a 20 !! Try a semi syn or a 0w- 40. new vehicle?

+1
...... or consider a xW50 ..... seriously.

with these new filters why not run three 6,500mi, OCI' to one filter, draw from the dipstick with a mity-vac, quick & clean.

Thanks for all the replies!

Originally Posted By: Mathew_Boss
Since you think its wearing on the top end, you should try QSUD and test out the Ratbag blog theory. No bett time then on thats showing high wear with every other oil. Also, Quakerstate states no other Synthetic provides better wear protection. I would be very interested in seeing how well it stands up to your Ford.

I've tried SOPUS products in the past and I've never been happy with them for various reasons. the consumption I had on Pennzoil Platinum alone was enough to keep me from ever using it again. If QSUD is anything like PP, I have no interest in trying it. Now, if someone wants to donate the 11 quarts it would take me to get through a 7500 mile OCI, i'll give it a try.

Originally Posted By: CT8
The viscosity dropped Close to a 20 !! Try a semi syn or a 0w- 40. new vehicle?

a newer vehicle would be nice, but I've got some other stuff to pay off first if possible.
the motor is spec'd for a 20wt - why would I need to go to a 40wt?

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I'd go back to Trop Artic for 5k miles, great results with that one. Esp, that iron reading, wow. I'd also prob put some MMO in there to help lube/clean the top end.

I have thought about trying the trop artic again. that one OCI was all interstate miles accumulated in about 1.5 months, so it is kind of the outlier. the only reason I sampled that time was to see if 5w30 would be OK. it did like it, but that use had no winter and no towing, just lots of long trips in a short period of time.

if I do try it again, I might see if I can stretch it out to 7500. just on the fence. I REALLY don't want to go back to 5000 mile OCI's. that's 4 changes a year and I'm just tired of it.

Originally Posted By: JoelB
There is no data from the previous run of mobil one so that isn't particularly relevant, apart from the fact that this run isn't tainted from another brand oil. It's just strange that people try and draw a scientific conclusion from a little snapshot of information. But I suppose that is the curse of BITOG.

a snapshot is about as good as it can get, IMO. I specifically sampled the M1 after the second fill so that I wouldn't have the EDGE skewing the results. IMO, the M1 has spoken for itself, and it is on the no-fly list with Pennzoil, at least for this truck. the Subaru loves it, but it did shear quite a bit in the Subaru, though, wear numbers were excellent.

everyone wants to see back to back to back to back UOA's on the same everything. that's not realistic, especially if you are seeing results you don't like. Why keep trying something with poor results hoping it gets better? if it doesn't, that's 15k or 30k of miles that you could have been using something better. I'm not sure there's another 30k left in the truck! I'm not wasting what time is left on a oil that can't at least produce ONE decent result. this was back to back with M1, so to me it is safe to assume that the last fill probably performed about the same. Based on my two runs of EDGE, that seems like a safe bet. Mobil 1 just didn't perform, I gave it a fair chance.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
I see in that UOA that your Potassium & Sodium numbers are elevated. Is it possible you're getting some coolant in your oil and that's causing a loss in lubrication?

anything is possible, I suppose. but I've never had to add any coolant since 2013 when I bought it. the lab says "no" under coolant, so they don't seem to think that is an issue.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I just realized he has another thread going and it looks like he's running another round of M1 for 7500 miles:

Link [/quote

As stated in the text in the other thread, the lab wrote down the wrong oil. current fill is Amsoil XL 5w30. I probably won't sample this fill.

4WD said:
+1 ... or try that motor on HDEO ...

if I could find a 5w30 easily, I would in a heartbeat. I'm just not sure about using a 5w40 or 10w30 HDEO

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Going back to Trop Arctic would be good for diagnosing if the engine really has an accelerating wear problem. Stick with it for at least two changes, and see how the numbers change.

would that be a good comparison? an engine with 195,000 miles vs 115,000?
not sure I'm going to get much out of that.

So I called the lab and asked the technician about the numbers in my reports. specifically asking about the iron and aluminum and told him that the numbers looked really high as compared to other UOA's I've seen that I feel are comparable.

according to him, if you are going to compare UOA's you need to stay with the same lab. a blackstone report isn't going to compare with a ATS or Polaris report. so his advice was to not compare in that way.

Specifically, with my engine he said that they wouldn't flag Iron as "cautionary" until 250ppm. and condemnation wouldn't be until 400ppm. and this was specific to the 5.4 trition.

aluminum wouldn't flag as "cautionary" until 60ppm. as he said "there is so much aluminum in that engine..." I didn't ask about condemnation on aluminum.

when I asked about silicon, he said specifically with my engine, and going by the clearances in that particular engine, they wouldn't flag silicon as "cautionary" until 30ppm. I did not ask about condemnation on silicone.

I asked about TBN, and he said "with your engine" we flag TBN as "cautionary" at 1.5. Condemnation would be well be 1.0 on TBN.

So when I asked about the numbers in my report he kept saying that they are "low" and "looks good" and "good report". so I specifically asked him about the run with 9,980 miles on Castrol Edge Gold. with a Iron reading of 88, and an aluminum reading of 19, his analysis of that report was that it was "good" with "low wear numbers" and that based on that report, 10,000 miles with Castrol Edge Gold 5w30 is a good service plan for this engine.

I think I'm going to trust the lab and go with that recommendation.

If you're towing anything heavy (6000lbs+), I don't think a 40wt would hurt. M1 0W-40 is what I now use in my Suburban, but back when I was dragging a 12,000lb race car trailer around, I was using M1 15W-50.

Since you think its wearing on the top end, you should try QSUD and test out the Ratbag blog theory. No bett time then on thats showing high wear with every other oil. Also, Quakerstate states no other Synthetic provides better wear protection. I would be very interested in seeing how well it stands up to your Ford.
Not that it's the same thing but I'm 1k into QSUD and a microgreen filter on my 2017 Sierra with the 6.2l. I'll let ya know if you can hold your breath
smile.gif

A suggestion you won't like, only because you asked for any/all suggestion/interpretations: the type of driving this vehicle is subjected to IMO is screaming at you for 5K OCI.Not by any means saying you personally are doing something wrong, the conditions the truck is being used in dictate a lesser OCI, not even 7500 K, 5000K and thats it.
Steve

Originally Posted By: steve20
A suggestion you won't like, only because you asked for any/all suggestion/interpretations: the type of driving this vehicle is subjected to IMO is screaming at you for 5K OCI.Not by any means saying you personally are doing something wrong, the conditions the truck is being used in dictate a lesser OCI, not even 7500 K, 5000K and thats it.
Steve

+1 At least from my experience these earlier Tritons need the extra care.

I will say, my 2004 5.4 I had knowingly purchased, has the cam phaser issue. It has been a reliable engine and truck for me, however requires xxw40 or higher at operating temperature to run properly. It will shake violently once warmed up on the speced 5w20 and eventually die. I run any HDEO 15w40 available with 20w50 as my top off oil to keep viscosity. My research has taught me along with a poor cam phaser design, there is a plate on the oil pump, and over time can flex causing losses in oil pressure over the entire rpm range. My engine is quiet until warmed and begins to "tick" loudly until I exceed 1200-1300 rpm. HDEO xxw40, at a minimum, is a must for my application.

Last edited:

He just tested 5W30 Valvoline with Maxlife technogy and it tested out very well and close to the top of Rats list. I have used this oil for the last year in two vehicles and they are running very smooth... I also use 10W40 Maxlife semisyn in my 1990 Jaguar V12 and the Jag seems to like it. Used Mobil 1 HM in this car in the past but the V12 was noticeably louder with Mobil 1 HM. It seems to really run smooth and quiet on the Maxlife. Sorry but I have tried many different oils in a lot of my cars and Maxlife always seems to be consistent with smooth running engines. I have owned over 60 cars and many of them were every day vehicles in addition to collector cars.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back