mobil 1 HM 10W30 for 4.8l chevy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
would this oil be ok to run in a 2011 chevy with the 4.8 vortec even though its SL rated? my buddies truck just turned 85k miles, warranty is almost up. His dad found a case of it in his garage and gave it to him. Would run it for a 7500k oci

Last edited by a moderator:
eh, I wouldn't do it. Follow the OLM and use something that meets dexos standards until the warranty expires. So you can use the M1 HM three oil changes from now
smile.gif

For now, use the cheapest dexos oil and run it for the OLM suggestions.

coupons.com has a coupon $4 off a jug of Maxlife at Walmart. Maxlife is listed on the dexos website.

In your area, heck yea! That is one of Mobil's best oils. VERY stout oil. A3/B3 certified. If the engine is in good mechanical condition, an OCI WELL past 7500 will be easily obtained. Use that oil with complete confidence year-round. Anyone who disagrees does not know what they are talking about.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
eh, I wouldn't do it. Follow the OLM and use something that meets dexos standards until the warranty expires. So you can use the M1 HM three oil changes from now
smile.gif

For now, use the cheapest dexos oil and run it for the OLM suggestions.

coupons.com has a coupon $4 off a jug of Maxlife at Walmart. Maxlife is listed on the dexos website.

The Valvoline deal on Coupons.com is over. I'm sure it will return eventually. The OP could always mix in some of that HM 10W-30 with some newer 5W-30 M1 - and also use it as top off oil.

Geez, people! Don't mix it. Don't buy that MaxLife garbage. That oil with 10-12k intervals will take the truck past 300k. He'd be stupid not to use that oil, especially for free.

M1 10W-30 HM is an outstanding oil and is ideal for OPE as well.

Last edited:
2011 and 85000 miles, its probably out of warrenty unless the poster has an extended warranty. Otherwise, I would stick to what the owner manual says. Unfortunately, this would be a no. I don't understand why they tell you to use 5w30, but are forbidden to use 10w30. Does running a little thicker oil when cold, till its hot really going to hurt your vehicle?

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
In your area, heck yea! That is one of Mobil's best oils. VERY stout oil. A3/B3 certified. If the engine is in good mechanical condition, an OCI WELL past 7500 will be easily obtained. Use that oil with complete confidence year-round. Anyone who disagrees does not know what they are talking about.

This.

I'll go out on a limb and say that if the OM specs 5W-30 it will also say to use 10W-30 for summer and synthetic 5W-30 or 0W-30 for winter. GM truck OM have been like that for some time.

The OP resides in Louisiana. No issue using 10W-30 year-round. 10W or not, it's still a M1 synthetic. The oil will not cause an engine failure; the warranty is moot at this point anyway. If tested, the oil would pass that weak dexos certification.

There is no reason whatsoever to not use this excellent oil in this application.

Originally Posted By: NH73
2011 and 85000 miles, its probably out of warrenty unless the poster has an extended warranty. Otherwise, I would stick to what the owner manual says. Unfortunately, this would be a no. I don't understand why they tell you to use 5w30, but are forbidden to use 10w30. Does running a little thicker oil when cold, till its hot really going to hurt your vehicle?

Geez, people! Don't mix it. Don't buy that MaxLife garbage. That oil with 10-12k intervals will take the truck past 300k. He'd be stupid not to use that oil, especially for free.

M1 10W-30 HM is an outstanding oil and is ideal for OPE as well.

Mobil 1 HM is an excellent oil but I also would not call Maxlife oil garbage... Maxlife is a very good stout HM oil.

"The OP resides in Louisiana. No issue using 10W-30 year-round. 10W or not, it's still a M1 synthetic."

- Yeah, I'd have to agree with that.

With another 15k on the warranty, why risk a problem by running an oil that's a) the wrong viscosity, 2) not Dexos-rated and 3) if you don't believe Dexos applies, not even SN-rated? As others have said, your truck likely won't know the difference and M1 HM is a great product, but I'd suggest waiting 'til the warranty expires.

that weak dexos certification..

Precisely.

How quickly crowds are changing their minds, how easy it is to manipulate people! Just a few years ago everybody and their brother were ridiculing the Dexos invention, and now they worship it.

Originally Posted By: NH73
2011 and 85000 miles, its probably out of warrenty unless the poster has an extended warranty.

GM's powertrain warranty is 5 years/100k.

Use it. Its a great oil and how in the heck could it possibly void any warranty.

its my buddies truck. ill have him read all your replies and make a decision. he racks up the miles quick. my truck will be 9 years old this coming april and only have 80k miles lol. the ol Cummins has an easy life. I need to change my sig, ive decided to keep it close to stock and save up for a single cab Dmax and go all out with it, daily driver/weekend drag strip truck. sorry to go off topic lol

Last edited:
I didn't know the warranty terms. Otherwise, I doubt there will be a problem lubrication wise. The only things is why they say you can't use an older spec. oil in a newer engine? Like Mobil 1 HM is API SL rated, which this vehicle is 2011 so they would say not to use it. Could some explain why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back