Mobil 1 High Mileage

Originally Posted by Hogwash
According to things I've read, some say it's because it doesn't meet the requirements for cat protection....back too the high zinc and phosphorus levels. However, that info was from a couple of different forums that were both a few years old

dexos 1 Gen 2 requires a phosphorus level of less than or equal to 850 ppm, and all grades of M1 HM have 800 ppm according to the latest data sheet I can find online.

I appreciate all the opinions and information. I did send Mobil an email asking about the lack of Dexos approval on their synthetic HM formula. I'll pass on the answer to you folks when I hear back from them.

This is a timely thread for me.

I recently purchased a used Toyota Tundra with 71k miles that I plan to use to tow a travel trailer. It didn't have any past oil change records although it's in very good shape. It now has 74k miles and I want to change the oil and use M1 HM 0w-20 so I emailed Mobil 1 to inquire.

The response said that while the bottle advertises High Mileage as 75,000 miles, this does not necessarily mean every vehicle that is over 75k miles will need this oil. They only recommend this option when one of the two following criteria are met:
If the engine has oil consumption that is more than normal between oil changes, or if the engine is starting to leak from any gaskets or seals. I don't have either of these conditions. They recommended M1 Truck & SUV 0w-20.

I also have a gen 1 Toyota Sequoia that I bought used at about 80k miles. It now has 130k miles and I've been using M1 HM 5w-30 since I've owned it with no issues. It has never had oil consumption or leak issues. I suppose it would be best for me to continue with M1 HM and not change to another M1 oil given the additives in the oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Nello

I recently purchased a used Toyota Tundra with 71k miles that I plan to use to tow a travel trailer. It didn't have any past oil change records although it's in very good shape. It now has 74k miles and I want to change the oil and use M1 HM 0w-20 so I emailed Mobil 1 to inquire.

The response said that while the bottle advertises High Mileage as 75,000 miles, this does not necessarily mean every vehicle that is over 75k miles will need this oil. They only recommend this option when one of the two following criteria are met:
If the engine has oil consumption that is more than normal between oil changes, or if the engine is starting to leak from any gaskets or seals. I don't have either of these conditions. They recommended M1 Truck & SUV 0w-20.

I also have a gen 1 Toyota Sequoia that I bought used at about 80k miles. It now has 130k miles and I've been using M1 HM 5w-30 since I've owned it with no issues. It has never had oil consumption or leak issues. I suppose it would be best for me to continue with M1 HM and not change to another M1 oil given the additives in the oil.

I've been using it as well in my daughter's '10 Yaris the last couple of years. We bought it just over 2 years ago with 126k on the clock. The CarFax showed fairly timely OCs from the original dealer....though there were a couple of gaps. But that could have meant that it was serviced somewhere else. I never thought twice about using M1 HM in it...mostly because I thought it was the proper thing to do at the time with my limited knowledge of such things. It's at 150k now with zero leaks and consumption.

M1 HM seems like a very robust product with some potential benefits. But, unlike the Yaris, I'm finding myself being a bit more cautious with my Taco. I have a friend with an '08 Taco with the same 4.0 engine. It's got 300k+ miles on it. He's used Penzoil HM synthetic since 125k. Zero leaks and consumption. Honestly, that may have more to do with the rugged nature of the 1GR engine than the oil. But nonetheless....it got me thinking.

And what better place to ponder oil than here, right?

I've been using it as well in my daughter's '10 Yaris the last couple of years. We bought it just over 2 years ago with 126k on the clock. The CarFax showed fairly timely OCs from the original dealer....though there were a couple of gaps. But that could have meant that it was serviced somewhere else. I never thought twice about using M1 HM in it...mostly because I thought it was the proper thing to do at the time with my limited knowledge of such things. It's at 150k now with zero leaks and consumption.

M1 HM seems like a very robust product with some potential benefits. But, unlike the Yaris, I'm finding myself being a bit more cautious with my Taco. I have a friend with an '08 Taco with the same 4.0 engine. It's got 300k+ miles on it. He's used Penzoil HM synthetic since 125k. Zero leaks and consumption. Honestly, that may have more to do with the rugged nature of the 1GR engine than the oil. But nonetheless....it got me thinking.

Thinking about what?

Originally Posted by tig1

Thinking about what?

Ummm......oil?

Hogwash: "I never thought twice about using M1 HM in it...mostly because I thought it was the proper thing to do at the time with my limited knowledge of such things."

That was my thinking with my Sequoia at the time too and I didn't have a consumption or leak issue. The bottle doesn't explain the details like the response I got from M1 and reading their website. Knowing now that it has seal conditioners that help swell gaskets to prevent leaks, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I could change back to regular M1?

I always feel a little silly asking an oil related question on this site because I'm sure most topics have been covered many times before. But here goes.

What are people's opinions on using M1 High Mileage oil in a vehicle with 75k on it? I use it in my daughter's old Yaris without much thought. It's 10 years old with a ton of miles on it.

But my 5 year old 4.0 Tacoma is due for it's next change at 75k miles. I'm not falling for the marketing per say. But it seems like the HM formula has a good additive package and people have had some good OA from it. I noticed recently that it's SN/SN Plus rated...and that's obviously what my Taco calls for. I can get it for about the same price as M1.

And this would be in the 5/30 flavor.

Thoughts?

With Valvoline MaxLife HM oil, that can be used from day 1 with no issue. With Mobil 1 HM, I'm not so sure and in your case I'd hold off. They both likely use a different type of seal conditioner. It certainly won't hurt your truck, but a 5 year old 4.0L Toyota engine really wouldn't benefit much from the M1 HM oil. That engine is so reliable you could run any decent synthetic and have great results for the next 150k miles.

I switched my Hyundai Accent to the M1 hi mile 5w30 at around 125k miles. It ran on M1 0w20 o5 5w20 most of it's life. It always used oil too but the consumption has gone down as the miles went up. Use to use a quart in 3k when new, now a quart every 7500 with the hi mile and 178k miles. I add a half quart at around 3/4k miles and it is a half quart down at oil change time.

I should try the 0w40 M1 as it is what I use in everything else.

No word from Mobil yet. I did receive a confirmation email that they got my email.

Got an answer from M1 on why their HM formula is not Dexos approved. Basically they said nothing.

Hi William,

Thank you for the e-mail and for your interest in Mobil 1.

Mobil 1 High Mileage was launched in 2007 and GM starting specifying dexos1 for GM vehicles starting with model year 2011. Note that we do have a full range of Mobil 1 engine oils designed for different applications/driving conditions and meeting different car builders' approvals. The online Product Selector can help you select the right oil.

Opening this back up. How could I find the zinc level of M1 HM 5/30? It was briefly mentioned a few posts ago, but not in a detailed way.

I appreciate either the answer or a shove in the right direction to research. So far, I've failed at it no matter how I've Googled it.

Thanks

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Go back to your previous post. It's in their product selector.

Ah thanks.....I looked there a couple of times and didn't quite scroll down far enough.

Phosphorus =800
Zinc = 900

Would these levels be considered high?

No, they are not considered high but they are at the upper limit for SN/ILSAC.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Go back to your previous post. It's in their product selector.

Ah thanks.....I looked there a couple of times and didn't quite scroll down far enough.

Phosphorus =800
Zinc = 900

I'd consider anything over 1000 to be moderately high, but the "high zinc" oils like Valvoline vr1 etc are usually 1200-1400 give or take iirc. A lot of typical SN rated oils are down in the 600-700 range give or take, so it's kind of in the middle. A little bit higher than most readily available oils at Walmart except HDEO oils.

There is beef product in that site - but some of it is from the far end of the animal.

That site says something which is incorrect.

1. " . . . . What do the numbers in 10W-40 mean?
2. The numbers refer to the weight and thickness, or viscosity, of the oil.
3. Motor oil gets thicker when it's cold - and thinner when it heats up.
4. The first number indicates the viscosity of the oil at a cold temperature, and the second number indicates the viscosity at operating temperatures . . . . "

The second sentence is only half right - only the first number refers to viscosity.
The second part of the fourth sentence is incorrect.
To be correct the fourth sentence would have to have the second "viscosity" replaced with "lubricity".

CJE
--------------

Originally Posted by Olas
Originally Posted by 4WD
Not sure where you live as for air temps …
but if you wanted to come up a bit on HTHS ? The M1 HM 10w30 is where the beef is

if you want beef they have beef https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants...or-oils/mobil-10w-40-high-viscosity-oils

VML is still the daddy though

Originally Posted by CJE
There is beef product in that site - but some of it is from the far end of the animal.

That site says something which is incorrect.

1. " . . . . What do the numbers in 10W-40 mean?
2. The numbers refer to the weight and thickness, or viscosity, of the oil.
3. Motor oil gets thicker when it's cold - and thinner when it heats up.
4. The first number indicates the viscosity of the oil at a cold temperature, and the second number indicates the viscosity at operating temperatures . . . . "

The second sentence is only half right - only the first number refers to viscosity.
The second part of the fourth sentence is incorrect.
To be correct the fourth sentence would have to have the second "viscosity" replaced with "lubricity".

Lubricity? What would that have to do with the SAE grade designation?

And the first number in a grade such as "5W" is actually a performance specification. The second number is directly a viscosity range.

I'd love to see technical references for your comments.

Back