Mobil 1 High Mileage 75,000 Oil Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rex

So one vehicle is plenty over 75,000 miles with the other coming upon the 75K mile mark. I've always used the M1 full synthetic but now wondering if its worth using the high mileage 75K full synthetic option that M1 offers?

I change the oil intervals at every 10K miles and so asking if there is an advantage to switch my vehicles over to this 75K high mileage engine oil? I never need to add any oil in the 10K miles driven on the current M1 oil. Different chemical makeup between the two? One more superior with extended OCI over the other?

Thanks!

Rex

I typically wait until after 100K or longer for a high mileage (HM) oil unless there are minor oil leaks developing. Sticking with regular Mobil 1 will continue to provide good results. No need to immediately change to a HM oil as soon as the odometer hits 75K.

FYI - HM oils are thicker than their regular counterparts and have extra seal conditioners in their chemistry.

I plan on using High Mileage in warmers months in my car (@ 92,XXX miles) because it's slightly thicker at temp and might condition the seals a bit to prevent leaks. Otherwise, no oil leaks or usage to speak of...

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
If you aren't burning oil there isn't much need for a HM oil

+1 Burning or slightly leaking is when you should make the switch.

Or you could make the switch before it starts leaking as a prevention. It wouldn't hurt anything.

High mileage is not critical or necessary.

The main benefit of high mileage are the following swelling of seals to decrease oil leaks, and also more cleaning power.

The latter is not important, any SN rated should be fine.

The seal swelling is good if you have oil usage, if you dont or its minior i'd just buy semi synth or full synth and be done with it.

Last edited:
What about on a truck that is almost 20 years old but only have 85,000 miles on it? Would Mobil 1 HM be a good choice for it? My truck in a 1997 GMC Sierra with the Vortec 350 V8. Doesn't burn much oil, maybe 10oz in 3,000 miles. Using Castrol GTX for a long time.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I think HM oils are more of a marketing gimmick than a mechanical necessity. How did they decide that at 75,000 miles, cars suddenly need a different oil?

Case in point: my ex's Mercury Marauder (not the one in my sig).

We bought the car used with 85,000 miles in May of '07. First three OCIs used MC 5W-20, then one of M1 5W-20. The next 5 were a Frankenbrew of PP 5W-20/5W-30. Since then it's been PP 5W-30 exclusively. Each time it used about 1 qt in between.

Fast-forward to today, where the car now has 190,000 miles. Guess what...it still uses about 1 qt/5,000 miles. What benefit would a HM oil have?

I'm not saying HM oils are useless or irrelevant...indeed, they may be useful in an engine that has been neglected, I just don't think there is a magic mileage where you suddenly need to start using one.

I wouldn't use an HM oil. If you want thicker,just go up a grade. Or if you're leaking,try something like MOS.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
This may be an unpopular opinion, but I think HM oils are more of a marketing gimmick than a mechanical necessity.

This /\.

It's all marketing. Most people don't have a clue as to what oil is in their engine. They go to a Quick Lube place and have it done. Then there are those that think they need HM oil because they have high mileage on their engine. Who determines what high mileage is?

If you have minor seal leaks then it may be of benefit but all you are doing is buying time. There is no magic elixir that can fix a tired/worn engine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back