Mobil 1- Great, Good or Average?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

It has a super additive package.

I've been thinking about this and Tooslick actually has said this repeatedly and I think he is right. Mobil has the same level of ZDDP as all the other Dino oils. So from what we have seen on here, it doesn't really provide significanlty better wear then some of the good Dino oils like Chevron and Pennzoil.

What it does do, is with it's PAO base stock, is go further, keep your engine cleaner and has superior cold/hot temp. properties. It's clear that if you want a superior anti-wear additive package, you have to have a NON-API oil. Redline, Amsoil, Neo and other top tier synthetics all have a significant amount more ZDDP. This is why Delvac 1, M1 15w-50 and the new Mobil 1 R are all better then M1.

Now there are certain engines that just wear low and that is when we see any oil do it's job. If you look at the latest Jeep UOA though, I think the extra ZDDP and viscosity brought the wear down considerably. I think this is also the case with LS1's although we have seen some good M1 reports in LS1's.

[ December 24, 2003, 08:28 AM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by Busman:
This of it this way, Mobil 1 is the Elvis of all motor oils...'nuff said.

it died on the toilet after a drug overdose?

i'm using M1 right now, but i think i may try some blends and the like just to have some comparative data. the subie is supposed to go 7500 miles under normal conditions, so i may try the valvoline maxlife and mobil drive clean plus and pull samples at about 5000 miles, just for grins.

besides, the UOA section seem dangerously under-populated.

I think that motor oils all perform differently in different engines. One motor oil that works well in one engine, may not work well in another.
After seeing the valvetrain of my Integra, which was spotless after 85,000 miles, I am going to stick with M1. I think that it is a matter of preference, so use what you want. Happy Holidays, Joe

I see that some have the holiday spirit. Maybe 20, 30 or 40 years from now if some of the other brands are still around they can have some bragging rights too! Perhaps I should have said that Mobil 1 is the Rolling Stone of motor oil in the progress and now royalty obtained over the years. In any case you could have Viscosity Oil Corp. blend you some brew with some rich arabian Sun based stock, put your name on it and sit on the pot and wait for your return on investment. Merry Christmas to all!

quote:

Originally posted by tweeker43:

quote:

Originally posted by Busman:
This of it this way, Mobil 1 is the Elvis of all motor oils...'nuff said.

it died on the toilet after a drug overdose?

No, it's working in a donut shop in Topeka Kansas!
smile.gif

I think it could be boiled down to this:

IF you have a tight engine it will provide awfully good performance for less than 4 bucks a quart*.

*Costco case price.

Looser motors may do better with another product.

Hows that?
grin.gif

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

I think its a "good" oil but not great. I think its too thin in some applications and the iron and lead levels in alot of the UOA's that I've seen seem to be higher than most conventional ones. I think it does an excellent job of keeping an engine clean but not so great in the wear department and some cars seem to consume this oil at a higher rate then alot of other oils. So far, it seems like my truck likes Chevron Supreme conventional better since there is hardly any startup noise and oil consumption has gone down. Its an oil thats not for every engine.

Wayne

I have been using Elvis Syn. 10W-30 in my '96 Protege' for the last 155,000 of it 160,000 miles and it uses no oil between the 5,000 mile oil changes. Had the valve cover off a couple of months ago having the timing belt changed again and the top of the engine looked new. I use it in all 3 of my vehicles and love the stuff.

Well, if M1 is under $4.00/qt what does the stuff cost the stores?
I would guess about $2.90 or sightly less.
Of that $2.90, how much has gone into shipping and packaging?
At least a buck a quart?
Now if you rolled up to the Mobil plant with a railroad tank car, which I think holds 33,000 litres (100 tones or 200,000 lbs contents), how much per qt or litre would you be charged to fill up the railcar?
I'd bet you would be on your way for under $50,000.
While your at it, you might as well fill up your 4 locomotives with #1 Diesel which might cost you another $20,000 USD.

I agree. Ditto.
Although I would never use it again, I can't say the oil is trash. It's decent, but does the cost v. the results make a good pay-off?
gr_eek2.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I think Mobil 1 is a good oil, but I also think it could be a lot better. I also know that it has it's limitations, as they don't want to raise the price of it too much and lose market share.

Plus at the same time, I'd be willing to bet that out of all the synthetic oil users out there, 95% or more of them use Mobil 1 (I'm not talking about just people on here, but in general) So they've already got a huge market share, and most of those who use it probably truly believe the advertising slogan they use (Nothing outperforms Mobil 1)

We do tend to see higher iron in a lot of cases, and sometimes higher lead too, but in all honesty, I still think many engines would still get a very long life even with these higher values in the UOA. Most Mobil 1 users trade their cars long before their engine reaches the end of it's useful life.

But for those of us who are perfectionists, trying to get the lowest wear we can (within reason of course, as I certainly wouldn't spend $15 for a quart of oil) this oil just doesn't quite fit the bill.

I use their 0w20 in my civic and have no complaints nor do I have any oil consumption or leaks. It is one of the best locally bought oils, along with amsoil's asl line(you can get amsoil now at murrays discount auto parts store). I get better cold starts with m1(always have) than I do with dino, plus I get a cleaner engine with m1. Sure, 3000 mile oil changes will do good for anyone, but I feel more confident running the best oil in my car and knowing the fact I can change it at 7500 mi or even 10000 if i wanted to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back