Mobil 1 / GC questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what exactly are the differences between these? I drive a Ford F150 V6, with Mobil 1 5W30 changed every 5,000 miles. What would be the advantages of switching to GC? New to this board and don't understand all the technical jargon yet.

Richie
PS.. was at AuotZone today, they had Syntec from Germay, Belguim, and USA. The German is supposed to be the good stuff, right?

German Castrol has been the best performing oil across a variety of different engines and viscosities. It's an extremely shear stable 0w-30 that meets the ACEA A3 specification. It has also undergone a reformulation and no one knows if this will impact it's performance. Mobil 1 is an outstanding oil and has even become better with the addition of Mobil 1 Extended Performance. Well, I'm assuming it is better but no UOA's as of yet. Has 50% more SuperSyn in it.

Ford says to use 5W30, would 0W30 be OK? And whats with the new Mobil oils? 5000 is dino, 7500 is blended, EP is full synthetic but doesn't come in 0-W-anything.

Richie

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Mobil 1 is an outstanding oil and has even become better with the addition of Mobil 1 Extended Performance. Well, I'm assuming it is better but no UOA's as of yet. Has 50% more SuperSyn in it.

So what does the extra 50% do? Is this more ester content or does the 4 quarts that you put in the engine deflate to make 6 quarts?

lol.gif

Buster,

You constantly jump to conclusions without any data to support them....

Mobil still has a few excellent folks left in their lab after the Exxon Coup
wink.gif
, but the proof is in the pudding. I certainly expect the Extended Performance formulations to hold up significantly better that the GF-4 version of Mobil 1, with its' reduced additive levels. However, I wouldn't want to predict how much longer it will last without seeing at least a couple dozen UOA's generated under various conditions.

It also remains to be seen if the EP formulation does significantly better in minimizing valve train wear, engine "NVH" and oil consumption. I feel these are the three weak points of the current supersyn formulations compared to other top tier synthetics, and even their own Delvac 1 product.

Quite honestly the GF-3 version of Mobil 1 already lasted longer than 95% of end users were willing to run it between changes. So that never was an issue, at least with me....

Ted

quote:

Mobil still has a few excellent folks left in their lab after the Exxon Coup

And this isn't jumping to conclusions? XOM is the world's largest company, I'm sure they have good R&D.

If you read what I wrote, I said I'm "assuming" it will be better. Terry has already stated he thinks it will be better bc he's said all along that this is what Mobil 1 has needed to be outstanding. Jumping to conclusions is saying that the reformulation of GC is as good as the old. Time will tell.
smile.gif

Terry is making an educated guess, just as I am....

However, neither of us has any hard data to go on in the way of oil analysis results. Nobody can tell anything merely from looking at a baseline analysis of additive levels. A spec sheet that showed HT/HS viscosity and Noack volatility would be somewhat useful in determining how the oil would perform, but I haven't seen one yet.

The Exxon comment is based on insider discussions I've had with folks in the industry, as well as comments from experienced Mobil chemists who left the company soon after the merger. Suffice it to say that the current Mobil 1 formulations reflect the Exxon formulation approach rather than the old Mobil formulation approach. This started with the previous Supersyn formulations. The Mobil 1, "trisynthetic" was the last product that was developed by the same group of Mobil chemists and chemical engineers without Exxon influence.

TS

quote:

However, neither of us has any hard data to go on in the way of oil analysis results. Nobody can tell anything merely from looking at a baseline analysis of additive levels. A spec sheet that showed HT/HS viscosity and Noack volatility would be somewhat useful in determining how the oil would perform, but I haven't seen one yet.

Ted, I agree with you. What I'm basing my opinion off of is BITOG UOA's of the past, and what Mobil has done with the EP oil, which is only improved it by additization and increased PAO levels. Maybe this is too premature for me to state? As I said though, time will tell.
smile.gif

Regarding the XOM/Mobil merger, my father in-law works for Valero Energy Co., in upper management in Paulsboro NJ, right next to XOM's old research building. He was a former Mobil employee. (No he doesn't know much about M1. Had nothing to do with synthetics). Anyone who left the company will of course tell you that they weren't happy. That happens all the time.

I believe those who create/research/develop these things can surely blend a very good oil. Most of Mobil's technology trickles down from the race teams they work with. That is where the SuperSyn came from. It is then diluted so to speak by the API. Same goes with Castrol or any oil maker.
smile.gif

[ April 06, 2005, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Buster,

GM is the worlds largest vehicle manufacturer - do you honestly think they compare to Toyota or Honda when it comes to quality? It's a retorical question, you really don't have to answer it....

EOM may have 65% of the worldwide synthetic lube market now, but they won't in 5-10 years...
wink.gif

Ted

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Buster,

GM is the worlds largest vehicle manufacturer - do you honestly think they compare to Toyota or Honda when it comes to quality?

I think they do. My 7 year old Corvette feels more solid than a 7 year old Honda or Toyota does.

quote:

EOM may have 65% of the worldwide synthetic lube market now, but they won't in 5-10 years...

Car manufacturers are now calling for longer intervals and we are slowly seeing more oils hit the shelf that meet long drain specs. ex- GC/Pennzoil ACEA A3 Platinum/M1 EP.

Not trying to arque with you, just a serious question.
smile.gif
At what point and how long can Amsoil continue to use the dealer network to sell? IMO, as long as they strive to make the best, they will always have customers, but never mass market.

BTW, other then the Corvette, GM is bad, really bad. They are in trouble. Toyota is over taking the industry......and in time, if they are not carefull they too will be of GM quality.
wink.gif

[ April 06, 2005, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back