mobil 1 full synthetic high mileage gasoline in diesel?

hey good afternoon,

I did look at oils and did see a mobil 1 high mileage 10w40 synthetic rated for gasoline engine. wonder what would happen if i put this in a 1990 toyota corrolla diesel engine?the price looks economical for full synthetic

thanks

FWIW The oil needs to be “C” rated for diesels. “S” oils are for traditional gasoline engines. The C is for compression and S for spark.

Interesting these oils do appear to carry a C and S rating.

Just my $0.02

thanks @tntmotorsports good to know (y)

i wonder which oil would offer more benefits for my 1990 toyota corolla diesel engine:
1) the mobil high mileage 10w50 full syntethic
2) mobil delvac mx f2 15w40 mineral oil? not synthetic i think rated api ci-4 plus

Engine is old enough where it probably wouldn't make a difference.

Engine is old enough where it probably wouldn't make a difference.
synthetic supposedly protects better for less wear than mineral so one difference in favor of synthethic i would think.

I know that mobil 1 "full syntethics" get called synthethic even though that they dont have sometimes any group 4 pao base oils much less 100 porcent group 4 pao base oil ; perhaps liqui moly would offer a true full synthetic as in germany apparently oil labeling regulations appear a lot stricter than us regulations where oils with group 3 base oils only can and do get called synthetics because of synthethic additives getting added to the group 3 base oil and no group 4 base oil to get found in the bottle, so; yeah.

Don't worry about the baseoils, whether its synthetic or not... its the total engine oil package that performs better, and not whether it is exclusively synthetic or not.

Either of the Mobil1 should work fine with your engine. The 10w should be easier to start on those snowy mornings. And, if its that cold, should have the block heater plugged in.

What engine family/size? what HP? what mods? what mileage? what weather/location? Otherwise, flip a coin.

hmm not so sure about that, synt oil provides better protection for less wear, read somewhere about it like a chain on a pen analogy , that the chain on pen wears less the desk, somewhere i read that not that makes much sense, anyways.

1C toyota diesel, 1800 cc, 62 hp, warm air intake mod, 300,000 kms - 187,500 miles, tropical climate warm temps / nicaragua.

i wonder how much pao group base 4 oil could get found in the mobil 1 high mileage full synsthhic perhaps 50 %. i read on another post on bitog that the mobil 1 extended performance has the highest content of pao group 4 base oil at around 60%. https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...etic-oils-are-group-4-pao.288881/post-4749750

hmm not so sure about that, synt oil provides better protection for less wear, read somewhere about it like a chain on a pen analogy , that the chain on pen wears less the desk, somewhere i read that not that makes much sense, anyways.

1C toyota diesel, 1800 cc, 62 hp, warm air intake mod, 300,000 kms - 187,500 miles, tropical climate warm temps / nicaragua.

i wonder how much pao group base 4 oil could get found in the mobil 1 high mileage full synsthhic perhaps 50 %. i read on another post on bitog that the mobil 1 extended performance has the highest content of pao group 4 base oil at around 60%. https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...etic-oils-are-group-4-pao.288881/post-4749750
10w-40 won't have much if any PAO in it because it doesn't need it for the 10W-xx Winter rating. Looks like it is mostly GTL:
Screen Shot 2022-07-01 at 6.35.31 PM.jpg

The rest is PROBABLY Group III, but could also be their Group II+ EHC, PAO...etc (the latter being unlikely). They can pick and choose what gets called out on an SDS and they've been making them more vague lately.

i see that 40 to 50% of the ingredients get comprised of DISTILLATES, HEAVY, C18-50 - BRANCHED, CYCLIC AND LINEAR cas 848301-69-9 . does that ingredient qualify as base oil group 3 or 4? i looked up gtl and it appears to get classified as an base oil group 3. so mobil one 1 high mileage full synthetic 10w40 has roughly 50 % group 3 base oil and probably no PAO and rest group 2 base oil perhaps. Does the ingredient cas 848301-69-9 equal GTL?

Last edited:
i see that 40 to 50% of the ingredients get comprised of DISTILLATES, HEAVY, C18-50 - BRANCHED, CYCLIC AND LINEAR cas 848301-69-9 . does that ingredient qualify as base oil group 3 or 4? i looked up gtl and it appears to get classified as an base oil group 3. so mobil one 1 high mileage full synthetic 10w40 has roughly 50 % group 3 base oil and probably no PAO and rest group 2 base oil perhaps. Does the ingredient cas 848301-69-9 equal GTL?
Yes, CAS 848301-69-9 is Shell's GTL base oil family. It's technically classified as a Group III product but has its own CAS # and is unofficially called a "Group III+" because of its performance.

I don't think they sell that particular diesel engine here in the US.
The question is can you get the same oil in your country than the one in the US.
If you do, check the bottle, if it has Cx rating like CF, then you can use it in diesel engine.

I would not worry so much about the percentage of PAO.
As with any engineering invention, everything is based on specification and the specifications are stated in ranges/tolerances (not absolute).
So as long as it meets the spec, the composition of a certain oil is fine.
There is no way to determine the mixture on how the oil meet the spec.
Even if there is answer from member here, it is mostly will be speculation aka guess, unless that person happens to be the person who are doing the mix design for Mobil oil.
Knowing, technology, I bet you a computerized machine/mixer is actually doing this work.

actually, that diesel engine did arrive in the US in the 1983-1984ish toyota corolla naturally aspirated and in turbo version in the 1985ish toyota camry.

I find that deceptive; that an oil sold in the US can get called synthetic and you dont know really what oil base group number the oil goes into it really. i prefer the transparenter german oil regulations, probably making oils called full synthetic have at least 50 porcent base oil group 4 in it; i find myself in the synthetic oils equal base oil group 4 camp.

Mobil 1 extended performance 5w30 SDS
mobil1EP.png

has 30 % hydrotreated; hydrotreated equals group 2 base oil. Wonder which other base oil group got used in ththe rest of the oil about 50 % of it % unknown. probably not group 4 base oil as its not marketed as full syntethic.

Last edited:
Deceptive is an understatement for the US market

Your yearly weather doesn't swing much. Doe the perfect temperature ever change?

I don't see the benefit over a synthetic vs conventional, unless there is some known issue with the engine. The weather is fine. The engine isn't overly stressed. As long as the vehicle isn't 'cooling compromised', running oil temps should be fine. Only variable worth worrying about is the oil change interval.

No other choices at your local Napa autoparts or Walmart?

Back