Mobil 1 Full Syn. Pwr Strg fluid?

So I had a 'discussion' with a friend of mine that tried to convince me that Mobil 1 full syn. ATF Dexron III was appropriate for my Dodge power steering (2002/ 2500HD) that I just serviced myself. "you've got all that Mobil 1 ATF oil, why didn't ya use that?' he asked. I said because its ATF fluid not power steering fluid and I do believe the properties of two oils are different, even though their both for hydraulic purposes. Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks

Many vehicles utilize ATF as the power steering fluid. Ford utilizes Mercon V and my father's Mercedes specs either MB-approved PS Fluid or Dex III approved ATF

So I had a 'discussion' with a friend of mine that tried to convince me that Mobil 1 full syn. ATF Dexron III was appropriate for my Dodge power steering (2002/ 2500HD) that I just serviced myself. "you've got all that Mobil 1 ATF oil, why didn't ya use that?' he asked. I said because its ATF fluid not power steering fluid and I do believe the properties of two oils are different, even though their both for hydraulic purposes. Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks
The spec is ATF+4 I believe. Same as the transfer case. I've never had issues using fluids meeting that spec.

2002 was the transition year from PSF to ATF+4 as factory fill on your model. Regardless, ATF+4 is the current spec, not PSF.

Well then...I will not admit to him he was right...I'l just tell him that's a great idea,. Where the heck were you when I needed ya? Thanks for all the replies. I do have a lot of Mobil 1 I could've used. Live and learn.

Well then...I will not admit to him he was right...I'l just tell him that's a great idea,. Where the heck were you when I needed ya? Thanks for all the replies. I do have a lot of Mobil 1 I could've used. Live and learn.
Is the dexron iii equivalent to atf+4? I didn't see any mention of atf+4 on mobil's site, and my knowledge isn't deep enough to know how much it really matters.

Is the dexron iii equivalent to atf+4? I didn't see any mention of atf+4 on mobil's site, and my knowledge isn't deep enough to know how much it really matters.

For power steering use it doesn't matter one bit. You could put Dexron III, Mercon, Mercon V, ATF+4 in any power steering unit that calls for ATF and it would work just fine.

For that matter power steering fluid (like GM vehicles use) would probably work fine, too. I bet lots of people have bought "power steering fluid" and added it to their power steering system that calls for ATF. I know I did, years ago--1986 Dodge Omni, pretty sure it called for ATF, didn't know it since I had no manual, put "power steering fluid" in it, no problems.

For power steering use it doesn't matter one bit. You could put Dexron III, Mercon, Mercon V, ATF+4 in any power steering unit that calls for ATF and it would work just fine.

For that matter power steering fluid (like GM vehicles use) would probably work fine, too. I bet lots of people have bought "power steering fluid" and added it to their power steering system that calls for ATF. I know I did, years ago--1986 Dodge Omni, pretty sure it called for ATF, didn't know it since I had no manual, put "power steering fluid" in it, no problems.
Makes sense, and I do not see why not. My Sienna how ever calls for different atf for the ps then for the transmission. Kinda odd.

Makes sense, and I do not see why not. My Sienna how ever calls for different atf for the ps then for the transmission. Kinda odd.

Assuming it calls for Dexron III for the power steering, it's probably because that's cheaper and more widely available than the (probably) Toyota T-IV fluid it uses in the transmission.

Ford vehicles used to call for Type F for the power steering when they used Mercon in the transmission.

And when they used Mercon V in the transmission, they were calling for Mercon in the power steering.

I just used Mercon or Mercon V, whatever I had on hand, for the power steering.

Assuming it calls for Dexron III for the power steering, it's probably because that's cheaper and more widely available than the (probably) Toyota T-IV fluid it uses in the transmission.

Ford vehicles used to call for Type F for the power steering when they used Mercon in the transmission.

And when they used Mercon V in the transmission, they were calling for Mercon in the power steering.

I just used Mercon or Mercon V, whatever I had on hand, for the power steering.a
Hadn't thought of that. Makes sense.

Back