Mobil 1 FS 5W50 Noack Volatility

Days of PAO are over. PAO has mostly been replaced by GTL-based or mineral-based Group III+. If you want PAO, you need to go boutique.

Actually I was surprised by the 25–30% PAO content, which is considered very high these days. It turns out that this is not the case. M1 FS X2 5W-50 has no PAO at all according to its MSDS, which makes sense because it is a thick oil. It also has no GTL. It is mostly mineral-based Group III, probably with a dash of POE as typical with Euro M1 oils or a dash of AN as typical with non-Euro M1 oils.
We haven't got the X2 version, we've had the X1 version now for about 5 years.

Days of PAO are over. PAO has mostly been replaced by GTL-based or mineral-based Group III+. If you want PAO, you need to go boutique.

Actually I was surprised by the 25–30% PAO content, which is considered very high these days. It turns out that this is not the case. M1 FS X2 5W-50 has no PAO at all according to its MSDS, which makes sense because it is a thick oil. It also has no GTL. It is mostly mineral-based Group III, probably with a dash of POE as typical with Euro M1 oils or a dash of AN as typical with non-Euro M1 oils.
You know MSDS doesn’t serve that purpose.

So M1 5w50 is terrible because it contains VII, and is also one of the best non-boutique off-the-shelf oils you can buy. :ROFLMAO:

It's expensive over this side of the pond costing £50/5litres. That said, it's still half the price of an Amsoil or Redline oil. But, I could purchase a quality branded 15w40 HDEO for half the price of the M1.

I'm currently running M1 5w50 in our Classic Mini and Defender 300TDi. I didn't notice any difference over a 15w40 HDEO in the Defender so I'm unlikely to ever use it in that again, not at the cost. The Mini however which shares it's sump with the gearbox has much slicker gear changes, but I don't quite know what the previous owner was running in it. The Mini's owners manual calls for a 10w30 or 10w40 A3/B4 oil, so could have been anything.

M1 FS 0w40 is around £35/5 litres over here if you shop about, I may try that in the Defender and the Mini next OCI. Although I am toying with the idea of having a chat with Dave from HPL to see about getting 5 litres of their HDEO shipped over here for the Mini next year.

Last edited:
As you can see in the attached screenshot, Noack Volatility is 75%.
Do you think it's a typo?
Have they meant it to be 7.5% and dropped a dot? I guess that would probably be the case. 75% ain't reasonable one bit.View attachment 114631
I emailed ExxonMobil and they simply replied with a link to the same PDS I was asking about. Lol.

Here's a link if you would like to check:
I don't think even straight seafoam has a Noack that high.

Back