Mobil 1 FS 5W50 Noack Volatility

As you can see in the attached screenshot, Noack Volatility is 75%.
Do you think it's a typo?
Have they meant it to be 7.5% and dropped a dot? I guess that would probably be the case. 75% ain't reasonable one bit.
IMG_20220829_054223.jpg

I emailed ExxonMobil and they simply replied with a link to the same PDS I was asking about. Lol.

Here's a link if you would like to check:

As you can see in the attached screenshot, Noack Volatility is 75%.
Do you think it's a typo?
Have they meant it to be 7.5% and dropped a dot? I guess that would probably be the case. 75% ain't reasonable one bit.View attachment 114631
I emailed ExxonMobil and they simply replied with a link to the same PDS I was asking about. Lol.

Here's a link if you would like to check:
If you look at my HTFS (base-oil viscosity) table (Google it), it has HTFS = 2.7 cP, which is on the thick side, and given that it's Group III, Noack = 7.5% sounds about right, as M1 oils with much lower HTFS have a Noack ~ 9%.

It has better base stock and actual manufacturers approvals like Porsche A40.

Mobil 1 FS X2 5W-50 shows no PAO per the SDS while Mobil 1 15W-50 shows 10-20%. The 15W-50 also has a higher HTHS relative to KV100, likely has far less VII, and likely is less volatile as well.

The reason 15W-50 doesn't meet A40 is probably because it's a 15W-50 where A40 is 0W-40, 5W-40, and 5W-50 grades. It's likely the 15W-50 would pass A40 tests with the exception of cold starts. It has an HTHS >3.5 cP and likely a TBN >10.0 in D2896. I don't see why it wouldn't pass the engine tests for A40 with the exception of the cold starts mentioned above. If you don't see those cold temps, then it doesn't matter.

Don't overthink the OEM approvals. They're good for someone who doesn't know much about oil and just wants to get something that'll meet the spec. These people aren't on Bitog. There's several oils out there that can perform to that level, but don't want to pay (or isn't worth paying) the massive cost to have it certified to the spec. For someone like Mobil 1, where FS 0W-40 is the OEM fill in many applications, it's worth it to get that contract. For someone like Driven or HPL, they're not going to move enough volume to make up the huge cost for the certification so it's not a worthwhile endeavor. The customer base for those brands are people looking for something more than the base cert or approval anyway.

Mobil 1 FS X2 5W-50 shows no PAO per the SDS while Mobil 1 15W-50 shows 10-20%. The 15W-50 also has a higher HTHS relative to KV100, likely has far less VII, and likely is less volatile as well.

The reason 15W-50 doesn't meet A40 is probably because it's a 15W-50 where A40 is 0W-40, 5W-40, and 5W-50 grades. It's likely the 15W-50 would pass A40 tests with the exception of cold starts. It has an HTHS >3.5 cP and likely a TBN >10.0 in D2896. I don't see why it wouldn't pass the engine tests for A40 with the exception of the cold starts mentioned above. If you don't see those cold temps, then it doesn't matter.

Don't overthink the OEM approvals. They're good for someone who doesn't know much about oil and just wants to get something that'll meet the spec. These people aren't on Bitog. There's several oils out there that can perform to that level, but don't want to pay (or isn't worth paying) the massive cost to have it certified to the spec. For someone like Mobil 1, where FS 0W-40 is the OEM fill in many applications, it's worth it to get that contract. For someone like Driven or HPL, they're not going to move enough volume to make up the huge cost for the certification so it's not a worthwhile endeavor. The customer base for those brands are people looking for something more than the base cert or approval anyway.
SDS won’t show all ingredients. SDS is what it says it is: safety data sheet.
I worked on oils that were bound for approvals, and I am not overthinking it. Both oils will have very similar HTHS (I think 5W50 is 4.4, 15W50 is 4.5).

Edit: it doesn’t cost a lot of money to get approvals. People really need to get off that train that was pushed by Redline and likes.

Last edited:
One thing to add, Noack value of 7.5% for 5W50 grade indicates the best Mobil1 can offer in the oil. There is no doubt that that oil has a substantial amount of PAO and GTL, possibly some esters, similar to 0W40. Pour point is also indicative of PAO.
Both are on shelves in here but to get the 15W50 you got to have good contact with oil smugglers, lol. Street racers use both and here's what they think: 15W50 although did not fail any of their engines, many cases of sludge and severe varnish have been seen by the naked eye, not an ER case, but still a sludge in my book. I've seen a case myself in a Golf 5. While the 5W50 did not have any of these issues, it does not maintain oil pressure as well as the 15W50. I'm not a racers myself, but I hang out with them every once in a while. So that's what they are getting at fighting for which is better, lol.
Both are very good IMHO.

But I think 5W50 have an edge and is very solid just as every other FS formulation. And it's easier to stock. I'll take that as a plus.

One thing to add, Noack value of 7.5% for 5W50 grade indicates the best Mobil1 can offer in the oil. There is no doubt that that oil has a substantial amount of PAO and GTL, possibly some esters, similar to 0W40. Pour point is also indicative of PAO.
From what i've read it only has about 25-30% PAO, i could be mistaken ofcourse.

I could be mistaken but isn't this a considerable amount of PAO? Besides very pricey or boutique oils, what off the shelf oil has more PAO content?

Days of PAO are over. PAO has mostly been replaced by GTL-based or mineral-based Group III+. If you want PAO, you need to go boutique.

Actually I was surprised by the 25–30% PAO content, which is considered very high these days. It turns out that this is not the case. M1 FS X2 5W-50 has no PAO at all according to its MSDS, which makes sense because it is a thick oil. It also has no GTL. It is mostly mineral-based Group III, probably with a dash of POE as typical with Euro M1 oils or a dash of AN as typical with non-Euro M1 oils.

Last edited:
Back