Mobil 1 Formulation Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I called the number Carpy posted and hit #1. Much better techs on that line. Anyway the guy said Mobil 1 was improved over the summer. Didn't specify on what additives where improved. Could this be in regards to GF-4? Who wants to send in a sample of Mobil 1? I'm going to drop off my NA Castrol sample tomorrow. Forgot to do it yesterday. Carpy if you have any info you could share that would be great. Thanks.
cheers.gif

[ November 02, 2004, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

I was hoping for more like a bottle style change or a lot number. I hate to spend the money for a VOA just to find out it's the old formula.

Well, this is what Mobil has to say about in their FAQ's on thier web site:

Q. "I've noticed that Mobil 1 has a lighter shade than usual. What is the reason for this change? Will it affect Mobil 1 performance? "

A. "In the summer of 2004, we improved one of Mobil 1's additives, which resulted in a slight color change. Rest assured that this change in color will have no effect on Mobil 1's outstanding performance. All versions of a specific Mobil 1 product - prior to and following the color change - can be mixed without any effect on product quality or performance."

A. "In the summer of 2004, we improved... Rest assured that this change in color will have no effect on Mobil 1's outstanding performance..."

We improved but it has no effect
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

I guess to many people were complaining about it's dark shade. So they made it a lighter shade, there's your improvment.
tongue.gif

I thought that oil was mainly clear, and that a dye was used to make it appear golden?? So waddup with the change of addatives...

Here is the response I got from the email I sent them regarding the change. Sorry Dr.T they havn't made a 50w-100 viscosity yet for you.

quote:

Mobil motor oil formulations are considered proprietary. The product has
been reformulated to increase oxidation protection, better fuel economy
retention, rust protection, heat stability, and engine cleaniless.

Better oxidation protection! Good.

Better fuel economy retention?
Hmm an even thinner oil? or a result of oxidation stability not thickening up the oil.

Better heat stability?
A better HT/HS number?

I need to see a VOA and a product data sheet on this reformulation.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Here is the response I got from the email I sent them regarding the change. Sorry Dr.T they havn't made a 50w-100 viscosity yet for you.

quote:

Mobil motor oil formulations are considered proprietary. The product has
been reformulated to increase oxidation protection, better fuel economy
retention, rust protection, heat stability, and engine cleaniless.

You have to read between the lines. They did not mention engine wear... Here you go, the new Mobil 1, has lower engine wear protection ;-)

I think it's something to keep an eye out for. I'm sure the UOAs we see are from older stock though.

I am ~1200 miles into my third M1-5W30 (15,000 miles, '03 Tundra V8)oil change and it is turning orange. Anyone else noticing this?

quote:

Originally posted by MSF:
I am ~1200 miles into my third M1-5W30 (15,000 miles, '03 Tundra V8)oil change and it is turning orange. Anyone else noticing this?

Amazing coincidence- same truck, overall miles, and miles on M1 5w30 OCI. Mine's still so clear it's hard to read the level on the dipstick. Definately not orange (yet).

quote:

Better heat stability?
A better HT/HS number?

Wouldn't surprise me if the 30wts become A3 rated soon.

Anyone want to send in a VOA?
smile.gif

[ November 04, 2004, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back