Mobil 1 "fails" Seq. IVA wear test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cut it to 50% or cut it by 50%? I didn't know they disclosed the % of PAO in Mobil 1? That's good to know.

AD

Originally Posted By: buster
Quote:
ExxonMobil has confirmed to us that their 5W-30 Mobil 1 product meets ILSAC GF-4 and API SM requirements. This includes passing data in the IVA.

Kevin Ferrick
American Petroleum Institute
Engine Oil Licensing and Certification System

Quote:

API tests 600 licensed oils per year to confirm that they meet our requirements. This would include a variety of ExxonMobil products. We don’t merely accept an oil marketer’s word. I can’t really explain why Ashland chose to do what it did, but ExxonMobil has taken steps to confirm its product meets our requirements.

Kevin Ferrick

As a long time M1 users, I had emailed the API about this issue because I felt XOM was acting arrogant by not responding. This was what the API told me regarding Ashland's claim.

Take it for what it is. I'm not on either side. It will always remain unknown IMO. It's anyone's guess. Ike has had some companies formulating on the fly so it could have been related to that. Who knows...

The fact that the API guy says he "can’t really explain why Ashland chose to do what it did," seems to prove that no evidence was ever presented to the API about Mobil 1 5W-30 not meeting specs.

I disagree about the the claim that EM did not deny it, because they did deny it, and more importantly they did submit evidence to the API to back up their claim (which is more important than a public denial).

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
Cut it to 50% or cut it by 50%? I didn't know they disclosed the % of PAO in Mobil 1? That's good to know.

AD

Obviously, at one time all synthetics had to be PAO or Ester base stock, until the Castrol fiasco in the late 1990's. So it was 100% Group IV/V. Mobil 1 no longer claims it is 100%, but there is a huge amount of evidence that is still substantial amounts of Group IV/V base stock (depending on exactly which M1 oil you are talking about). Some M1 oils appear to have up to 70% PAO according to Korean MSDS.

Thanks. My family used Mobil 1 exclusively for many years. My father stopped using it when they trashed Prince William Sound. That whole thing made him sick, especially the way it was handled. But that's a whole different story.

AD

Originally Posted By: buster
Quote:
ExxonMobil has confirmed to us that their 5W-30 Mobil 1 product meets ILSAC GF-4 and API SM requirements. This includes passing data in the IVA.

Kevin Ferrick

Quote:

API tests 600 licensed oils per year to confirm that they meet our requirements. This would include a variety of ExxonMobil products. We don’t merely accept an oil marketer’s word. I can’t really explain why Ashland chose to do what it did, but ExxonMobil has taken steps to confirm its product meets our requirements.

Kevin Ferrick

I emailed the API about this issue awhile ago because I felt XOM was acting arrogant by not responding. This was what the API told me regarding Ashland's claim.

Take it for what it is. I'm not on either side. It will always remain unknown IMO. It's anyone's guess. Ike?
21.gif

I thought maybe it was Ike also, but notice that the API guy says that "I can’t really explain why Ashland chose to do what it did."

This seems to me to be a smoking gun. Valvoline is guilty as sin. Shame, shame, shame.

My guess is that they kept testing until they found a defective engine that tested badly, and then relied on that one test. Of course, they always hire and pay an "independent lab" to do the dirty work for them, but the lab knows what they want out of the deal before they start.

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
Thanks. My family used Mobil 1 exclusively for many years. My father stopped using it when they trashed Prince William Sound. That whole thing made him sick, especially the way it was handled. But that's a whole different story.

Hmmm. The Exxon Valdez oil spill happened in 1989. Mobil did not merge with Exxon until 1999.

Hmmm.

Confused here since Mobil 1 TDT is recommended by so many for my PD TDI as having low wear. As for me and my house, we will continue to use Mobil 1 (except in my TDI which seems to love the Motul 507.00)

Originally Posted By: edhackett
The fact that API's chairman is CEO of EOM probably would have nothing to do with the way the M1 issue might have been handled within API. Naw, it couldn't. Could it? If you get to claim Valvoline's tests were rigged, I get to point out that there is a real conflict of interest within the API.

http://www.api.org/Newsroom/tillerson-api-chair.cfm

Ed

That was 2006, here is the current CEO and president of the API:
http://www.api.org/Newsroom/apipresident/index.cfm

If you think that the API certification group can be corrupted by it oil company members, I hope you have some proof of that.

This is why ExxonMobil cannot sue poor little Valvoline for slander, because EM is rich and profitable, and Valvoline is a small little motor oil blending company (with no oil wells) that is at the mercy of companies like ExxonMobil to buy its crude oil from or buy its PAO from. There is not a jury in the US that would rule in favor of EM in a lawsuit regardless of the truth.

Originally Posted By: daman
Boy i guess i'll stop using it now....

Me too. I'm panicked. This whole impossible-to-be-wrong test just proved that M1 will detroy my engine as it has every engine it's ever been used in. The VOAs and UOAs are all hoaxes put up by M1. How could I have been such a fool!
LOL.gif

The fact that API's chairman is CEO of EOM probably would have nothing to do with the way the M1 issue might have been handled within API. Naw, it couldn't. Could it? If you get to claim Valvoline's tests were rigged, I get to point out that there is a real conflict of interest within the API.

Ed
+1

Gerard is the President. Tillerson is chairman of the board: "As chairman of API’s Board of Directors, Tillerson will also chair the trade association’s 25-member Policy Committee and 10-member Executive Committee". No influence there.
wink.gif

Mark, I'll show you proof of corruption in the API when you show me proof that Ashland's data has been cooked.
10.gif

Boatowner: The claims of not passing Sequence IVA test only apply to the standard M1 5W-30, not TDT, EP, or any other grade formulation.

Ed

Aint it sweet that hurricane happened just in time so EoM had an excuse why the shelves were empty of M1 5w-30. I bet the oil is super duper now.

Last edited:
What's the cam face loading on that nissan SUB SOHC cam box they use in that seq~iva? I assume they do a hardness test of the cam and a break in first before the cold oil run. I'd love to see all the data, to see how rigorous this test is.

What is interesting is Pennzoil Platinum was stated to have less than 20 um in wear. That puts it in the same league as Synpower and Edge.

Go PP!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mark888

Ed

That was 2006, here is the current CEO and president of the API:
http://www.api.org/Newsroom/apipresident/index.cfm

If you think that the API certification group can be corrupted by it oil company members, I hope you have some proof of that.

This is why ExxonMobil cannot sue poor little Valvoline for slander, because EM is rich and profitable, and Valvoline is a small little motor oil blending company (with no oil wells) that is at the mercy of companies like ExxonMobil to buy its crude oil from or buy its PAO from. There is not a jury in the US that would rule in favor of EM in a lawsuit regardless of the truth.

Not defending EM, but using this logic why would Ashland chose to cut their own throat and attack the very company they buy their products from? I still contend that we only know about %50 of the true story...

It happens in all kinds of industries-guys who write codes and standards work for the companies who supply those industries/businesses.

Gerard is the President. Tillerson is chairman of the board: "As chairman of API’s Board of Directors, Tillerson will also chair the trade association’s 25-member Policy Committee and 10-member Executive Committee". No influence there.

Mark, I'll show you proof of corruption in the API when you show me proof that Ashland's data has been cooked.
10.gif

Boatowner: The claims of not passing Sequence IVA test only apply to the standard M1 5W-30, not TDT, EP, or any other grade formulation.

Ed

I already showed you evidence that the tests are suspect. The guy who does the testing said that EM proved that the oil met the API specs and that he has no idea why Ashland said what the did.

You don't have one shred of evidence that the Chairman has any influence over individual tests. If the Charmain instructed someone to pass an oil that failed the test, don't you think someone would have leaked that info?

Now I don't know exactly what happened during the Valvoline tests, but it is pretty clear that EM passed the API tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back