Mobil 1 factory fill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, does this mean that when the vehicle leaves the factory and goes to the dealership there is Mobil 1 in the car? If so, I thought that was frowned upon? I'm not sure that's what it means but I thought you weren't supposed to have synthetic oil in the car during engine break-in? I was just curious. I also think that it's only put in the Corvettes (which I hear are run before they even go out so I guess that could be the break-in procedure).

If you read on mobil 1's website, they describe that modern engines today do not have to be broken in on conventional oil anymore before switching to synthetic. However, if you car did not come with synthetic filled already, just change out the oil after a 1000 miles then do a syn change.

Hi,
yes synthetic factory fill oils are just that, factory fill synthetic oils!
Synthetic engine oils have been used as factory fill by some manuafacturers since the early 1990s. Shell for instance were the first supplier to Porsche in 1992 - Mobil came on board later
The real story though is that many of these oils are a special formulation to enable the correct "bed down" processes to occur
Some are tailor made for the particular metallurgy contained in an engine family as well

These factory fill synthetics are designed for a certain life in the new engine and should be left there for the period nominated by the manufacturer. This period will have been decided upon by the engine and oil Enginners with minimised warranty claims in mind and the engine's designed longevity made a real possibility

The other thread on this subject is worth reading too

Regards
cheers.gif

Thanks, guys. I feel much better about using synthetic for my first oil change now. At about 3000 miles I changed the oil like the manual says. Since then (now at 13k+ miles) I've been using synthetic.

At first I was a little paranoid, because you can't use synthetics in the break-in of motorcycles. Motorcycle engines are very advanced now in the technological department and maybe even a little more advanced than most car engines (I'm sure all the new liter-bikes are). Anyhow, for some reason the bike manufacturers strongly advise against synthetics during the break-in miles.

Well, thanks again, I appreciate it.

Hi,
in a car that was not factory filled with a synthetic it is likely a special mineral bed in formula oil was used

Waiting like you did to introduce the synthetic oil was a smart decision and follows "best practice"

Regards

New MT magazine shows the GTO, Cadillac CTS-V and Chrysler 300C SRT all with M1 oil caps.

All Cadillac, Chevy SSR, Viper, Mitsubishi EVO, M-B AMG, Ford GT, Aston Martin, Porsche also use M1 as factory fill.

Gene

quote:

Originally posted by Blue636:
Thanks, guys. I feel much better about using synthetic for my first oil change now. At about 3000 miles I changed the oil like the manual says. Since then (now at 13k+ miles) I've been using synthetic.

At first I was a little paranoid, because you can't use synthetics in the break-in of motorcycles. Motorcycle engines are very advanced now in the technological department and maybe even a little more advanced than most car engines (I'm sure all the new liter-bikes are). Anyhow, for some reason the bike manufacturers strongly advise against synthetics during the break-in miles.

Actually all 2 strokes dirt bikes use synthetic oil from the start and have for many years. I'm not even sure if their is a pure dino oil made for 2 stroke dirt bikes out there anymore. KTM 4 strokes come from the factory with synthetic oil.

Most all 2 stroke outdoor power equipment oil sold by the big players is now a minimum of a semi synthetic. Much of it is now a synthetic oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back