Mobil 1 Factory Fill for 2010 Camaro

Status
Not open for further replies.
To all of those that are saddened by this event, remember there are other GM 4718M oils to choose from. Stay strong. LOL!

Originally Posted By: buster
To all of those that are saddened by this event, remember there are other GM 4718M oils to choose from. Stay strong. LOL!

Here is the list as of 2008;

GM approved oils list. Quite long.

Guess those other oils that meet the spec did not want to give away oil or pay GM for the "factory fill" award....
LOL.gif

Take care, Bill

PS: Mobil 1 5w-30 EP is NOT approved for 4718M. Only the "plain" Mobil 1 5w-30.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
I see the BITOG bashing crew is in full swing today.

You mean the BITOG reality crew.

Nope. I ment bashing.

Yup, always in fashion I'm afraid.

I wonder what causes it, a few ppm Fe in $30 UOAs?

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: MrCritical
So, does the sticker say that there is Mobil 1 in the engine? Or that they want you to put Mobil 1 in it?

It will say for the marketing in manual Mobil 1 and on the filler cap Mobil 1 recommended.

EM has to get something for the $$ spent/given away...

+1
It's good deal for EM. For their cost for 5 or 6 qts of bulk M! per car, they get a very high percentage of those car buyers sticking with M1. The GM dealers make out too because they charge through the nose for M1 in their service departments.

Oh Noes
43.gif
, they don't have any xW-20 4718M oils. How are those people going to start their cars when it's below 90F outside?

Originally Posted By: XS650

Oh Noes
43.gif
, they don't have any xW-20 4718M oils. How are those people going to start their cars when it's below 90F outside?

That sir, is worthy of a ROFLCOPTER!!!

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

Nope. I ment bashing.

Hehehhehehe!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

Nope. I ment bashing.

Hehehhehehe!
cheers3.gif

The funniest part is that it routinely happens to the most expensive readily available OTC synthetic motor oil, and not others. Cracks me up actually.
crackmeup2.gif

Oh Noes
43.gif

crackmeup2.gif

Very good Sir!

Oh Noes
43.gif

Now that was funny.....and sadly true about some people.

EM is a smart company. Factory fill is lucrative.

Guess those other oils that meet the spec did not want to give away oil or pay GM for the "factory fill" award....
LOL.gif

Take care, Bill

PS: Mobil 1 5w-30 EP is NOT approved for 4718M. Only the "plain" Mobil 1 5w-30.

Bill,
I know M1 5-30EP does not list 4718 on their bottle but I did call them recently and they said the EP does meet the 4718 spec but they don't list it. I think the reason is the EP is more for the long OCI and Vetts need to have a shorter OCI than the 15,000 miles.

I know M1 5-30EP does not list 4718 on their bottle but I did call them recently and they said the EP does meet the 4718 spec but they don't list it. I think the reason is the EP is more for the long OCI and Vetts need to have a shorter OCI than the 15,000 miles.

But it does NOT meet it in the eyes of GM.

And that is what matters.

If the oil does not OFFICIALLY meet the spec then your warranty is in danger (or you will be dancing with the devil)

Bill

Bill,
I agree about the warranty. It's best to follow the manf. guidlines to the letter to prevent future problems.

I look at it as they obviously know it meets the spec. but they were honest enough to say that they did not have it officially approved, therefore we don't claim it. Makes sense to me.

Quote:
Question:
Explain Why Mobil 1 Extended Performance Not GM4718M Certified
Can you please explain the difference between GM6049M and GM4718M? I have read several answers on this site that state that using the extended performance Mobil 1 will work just as well as regular Mobil 1. I just want to understand what is different between the two specs, and what about the extended performance does not allow it to be GM4718M certified. Thanks, Clint
-- Clint Kline, Anderson, IN
Answer:
GM 6094M is based on the same specifications as ILSAC GF-4 but additionally includes some specific GM requirements. GM 4718M is the GM high performance oil specification that goes well beyond the industry standard ILSAC GF-4 and API SM specifications. The Mobil 1 grades that carry GM 4718M have been fully approved and tested against GM 4718M. The companion Mobil 1 Extended Performance viscosity grades have not been formally approved against GM 4718M but will provide the performance at GM 4718M level. Engine testing required to get formal approval is limited to certain Mobil 1 products only.

Still I would NOT run EP if I had a vehicle that was in warranty.

Why risk it?

Sorta silly since Mobil gets factory fill why does GM/Mobil just go ahead and give it the rating?

Interesting...

Supertec made 6094M...nice! I ran M1 in my C4 for about 2 oil changes back in the day then I said screw it and ran amsoil, PP, Synpower and GC. Now I'm on SSO for annual flog me oil changes. Guess what I beat 75k high revving miles on it and it hasn't given up the ghost yet. Swapped cam, rocker arms and valve springs for performance parts 15k miles ago and didn't even notice any varnish in the system. Now that I think about it maybe I should have put some M1 in the optispark and water pump because they died early deaths! My C5 eats non-approved oils too and so far doesn't complain either. Mobil knows where to put their money for the largest return...hence why I proudly own several blocks of shares in my SEP IRA.

0W30 and 10W30 are perfectly fine in LT and LS motors. I have yet to here of a catastrophic incident from anyone running 0W in these even at track days- except for one guy who tried to nitrous his stock LT-4 to death in a 1/4 mile spectacular and spun a rod bearing! I also don't really care about the extortionist starburst symbol from the API being present.

Performance and Protection in extremes is what I run for in my sports cars. Quite frankly besides body work and electrical failures I can guaranty that the factory warranty is out the window after I've owned one of these beauties after the break in period is over. I buy these cars to race and push them to their engineering limits. I'm not someone who spends hard earned monies to sit back and think geesh if I just baby this vehicle for a while it might be worth something tomorrow. Maybe I shouldn't drive it today...blah. Life is too short drive hard and nod to the folks on your right as you pass by!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back