Mobil 1 Extended Protection High Mileage Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
And the weight was...... drumroll please....... 5w20. Thanks for posting.

Well why wouldn't it be 5W-20? That is the oil specified in the owners manual.

Last edited:
I especially like the unsecured steel chains just scraping the street and creating a shower of sparks everywhere you drive the thing. Maybe that car caused the California wildfires. Real professional.

Every time a taxi test gets done … the too many variables card gets played.
Every time a dyno test is complete the not real world card gets played …

You guys have a 3rd Proof of Performance test … or do we just get back to testosterone hosing over UOA's …

It shows that Mobil 1 EP is good for 15,000 miles just like they guarantee it for. It is guaranteed for extended oil changes i.e. beyond what the car manufacturer recommends. Let some other oil maker who won't sell an EP product, step up to the plate with 15K oil changes of their own, for 120,000 miles on an old car if they think they can match those results.

Looks like the Bitgoers need to do the testing. I noticed we have an oil change site where we chime in with our oil changes. Do we have a milestone site where we can list our accomplishment of how many miles the original motor achieves with no major repairs?

I'd like to suggest 200,000 miles, 300,000 miles and 400,000 miles. Less than 2% of vehicles in the USA make it to 200,000 miles in the first place do to accidents, scrapping, theft and chopping, etc. Also, we could say a couple things about the oil weight, whether it's synthetic, if we had a favorite brand etc.

In a previous post I mentioned almost any oil would let you achieve 200,000 miles and then someone chimed in that Bitgoers were interested in 300,000 miles. So let's see how we're doing.

Originally Posted by Ifixyawata
By the way, shouldn't of this engine blown up due to the watery 5w20 oil?

Maybe not blown up, but it surely could go at least 537k if they'd just used the darned 10w-30 like Pappy did back in 1983. Being that they stressed the motor with 5w-20 it will probably only last another 100k now no matter what they do.

Stressed the engine using a 20wt? Still chaning oil every 3k too? Get with the times.

Originally Posted by KCJeep
After looking a while you can see that the M1 actually did some minor cleaning. However it took a (simulated) 120k to do it. Confirms what I already believed... M1 is good oil, and two, cleaning with good oil versus keeping clean with good oil are entirely different things..

As far as we know, the cleaning action all occurred during the first 15,000 oil change interval. Mobil just waited the full 120,000 miles to tear down the engine apart and show us the before/after photos. It does not mean it took it that long for the Mobil 1 to clean the engine deposits.

My own tests, in my own cars, in my real world, show Mobil 1 to make fine oils that keep engines protected, clean, and running well over their useful (to me) lifetime. I've seen no reason to be skeptical, at all. What would they have to gain by faking it? The marketplace would figure it out very quickly if that were the case.

Originally Posted by 93cruiser

Stressed the engine using a 20wt? Still chaning oil every 3k too? Get with the times.

Sorry, my sarcasm doesn't always come across.

Looks like the Bitgoers need to do the testing. I noticed we have an oil change site where we chime in with our oil changes. Do we have a milestone site where we can list our accomplishment of how many miles the original motor achieves with no major repairs?

I'd like to suggest 200,000 miles, 300,000 miles and 400,000 miles. Less than 2% of vehicles in the USA make it to 200,000 miles in the first place do to accidents, scrapping, theft and chopping, etc. Also, we could say a couple things about the oil weight, whether it's synthetic, if we had a favorite brand etc.

In a previous post I mentioned almost any oil would let you achieve 200,000 miles and then someone chimed in that Bitgoers were interested in 300,000 miles. So let's see how we're doing.

Sounds good Snagglefoot. I'll start.

Do you want to start a new thread?

Why does 5w-20 make you feel so good?

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by Ifixyawata
237k is... not all that much for a Honda.

Actually it is. By 140K mark the majority are scrapped.
Because of the 5W-20 oil
cry.gif

I don't like seeing all that camshaft wear. Or are those clean channels that cut through the varnish? Those camshafts remind me of the M1 camshaft in that M1 vs RP Mustang thread from a few years back.

I think some of the statistics you guys are throwing around are a little outdated.

According to the US DOT the current life expectancy of an automobile is 145,000 mi.

I'm surprised to find out Hondas are less reliable.

Only 2% make 200,000 miles surprises me too. I still see lots of pre-1997 F150:s and it's hard to believe most of them had to average less than 5,000 mi a year. I would bave thought the number over 200,000 mi is over 2% of production as many as I see. The ones I look at seem to average around 300,000 mi.

PS I don't live in the rust belt so that might color my perceptiona.

Last edited:
... The auxiliary cooler is probably for the transmission and is there because there is insufficient air flow while on the dyno. The chains are to keep the car on the dyno ...
If transmission temperatures during the dyno run don't duplicate real-world use without artificial manipulation, why would we expect engine oil temperatures to be realistic? For that matter, is engine cooling managed by a fan blowing air through the grill, or by some other method? Anyway, it can't be an accurate simulation of real-world operation. There were probably few, if any, true cold starts.

Mobil seems to put those coolers on all their dyno test cars.

I'm not particularly impressed with this test, I wish companies would stop dumbing stuff down, but I guess everyone wants everything quick and dirty and it is feared that no one would spend the time to go through a detailed account. Maybe they could give us a link to the detailed information after the quick and dirty preschool video...

There used to be tons of information about the Mobil 1 test on an E30 BMW that accumulated a ton of miles that described exactly how it was done and even the dyno set up, but I can't find it anymore, you can catch some glimpses of the dyno set up in the Annual Protection Video on YouTube.

I should have saved the Ford EcoBoost videos too....

Originally Posted by CT8
Why does 5w-20 make you feel so good?

Well, for starters, it feels good to be lubed up properly.

Good points. JAG and Patman, I agree.

I'll say this, the Honda 2.4 is a great engine!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by njohnson
https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why...il-results?WT.ac=Home-JT_M1EPHM_HondaPOP

What's mounted on the front of the test car? Looks maybe like an oil cooler? Keeping the oil a bit cooler than it would normally run, thereby essentially making it a thicker viscosity under use?

Also, I would have expected the under the valve cover shot after the test to be cleaner than it was.

Originally Posted by Patman
^^^ I agree!

The problem I have with tests like this is that they are doing it at an accelerated rate, which means that the engine isn't subjected to as many cold starts as your typical engine would see in 120,000 miles worth of driving. I also bet it never saw freezing cold winter temps either. So in reality this test really doesn't mimic 120,000 miles worth of real world city or highway driving at all. But the average consumer won't think like we do on BITOG.

I agree as well, not real world at all.

Also, while on the topic, I see Mobil is also touting their 15,000 mile warranty. Does this apply, like they lead you to believe, to a car like they used in their test that already had a 117,000 miles on it?

To me, assuming I am a regular Joe who knows nothing about this site nor anything more than oil needs to be changed at certain intervals; watching this vid, I would think, if I started using Mobil 15,000 EP oil, that I would be covered if I had an engine failure as long as I continued to use their EP oil.

Pray tell, how does anyone in this situation ever get money/warranty from Mobil if their car already had X number of miles on it using a different brand of oil prior to them using this Mobil EP oil?

Imo, this is pretty easy for Mobil to give a warranty promise to as anyone with a head on their shoulders knows not a chance in h*ll will Mobil ever cover your engine in a situation like this.
They can/will claim it was the other non Mobil oil used prior, you didn't follow proper intervals, the vehicle was abused, modified, etc, the list goes on.

Although I don't see other videos from other manus on here, are there other oil manus who also claim/tout such promises or is it just Mobil?

Regardless, and before anyone thinks I am just bashing Mobil, if some other manus did/do tests like these and claimed such and such and were full of empty promises (warranty) as well, I would equally be saying the same thing about them.

Imo, this is nothing more than marketing and trickery to fool the naive, ignorant and uneducated, sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back