Mobil 1 Extended Performance

Many of the ACEA C3 oils, e.g. those with VW 504/507 approval, have low starting TBNs and are suitable for extended drain / variable service intervals. I found a few oils claiming A3/B4 specification that don't have the minimum TBN requirement of 10 - highlighted in red in the table below which I think I posted a couple of years ago. It looks like a high starting TBN is not a requirement for a long life oil.

Screenshot 2022-03-06 at 20.49.09.jpg

Lot's of different PAO so it can vary but as an example it's possible the wear numbers wouldn't be quite as good. However you shouldn't lose sight of the fact that oil is a fully formulated product and you can't really conclude anything by just looking at the base used. It's very possible to build a superior product from various bases. Just ask Ferrari about the oil they use in Formula 1 (Primarily GIII+ unless it's changed).
The additive package is really what dictates the wear numbers, the base oil is just there to provide the viscosity and resist breakdown. PAO is more of a PITA to blend with because it requires something else to offset it being hard on/shrinking seals, which is typically POE, which is also expensive. So ultimately, the combo ends up being more expensive. Of course the advantage is better oxidation resistance and better cold temperature performance. Also, the slate of PAO base viscosities is extremely broad, which is why I think M1 EP 0w-20 is basically a monograde with its VI of 131. Mobil has likely used a blend of PAO bases to hit the target visc and using POE and maybe some AN's to aide in solvency and seal compatibility.

It's probably the most visc stable 0w-20 on the market, it's also probably one of Mobil's most expensive oils to blend. But since they are so vertically integrated, that's likely not a big factor in the total scheme of things.

The additive package is really what dictates the wear numbers, the base oil is just there to provide the viscosity and resist breakdown. PAO is more of a PITA to blend with because it requires something else to offset it being hard on/shrinking seals, which is typically POE, which is also expensive. So ultimately, the combo ends up being more expensive. Of course the advantage is better oxidation resistance and better cold temperature performance. Also, the slate of PAO base viscosities is extremely broad, which is why I think M1 EP 0w-20 is basically a monograde with its VI of 131. Mobil has likely used a blend of PAO bases to hit the target visc and using POE and maybe some AN's to aide in solvency and seal compatibility.

It's probably the most visc stable 0w-20 on the market, it's also probably one of Mobil's most expensive oils to blend. But since they are so vertically integrated, that's likely not a big factor in the total scheme of things.
Sadly coming to the end of my Mobil 1 AP 0W20 stash - So, think it’s time for the two 8 quart 5.3L’s to go 5W30 and let the new Lexus mill enjoy the good stuff for 10k runs …

Their is less value with tbn now with our improvd low sulphuric gasoline and better base oils across the board. thr organic adds are also not readily visible, making VOA’s and PDS’s and SDS’s less valuable in comparing. I figure if they label it extended performance or 20 KOL they’ve done their research and they formulated it for the task. You can do a used oral analysis and if the vehicle is in the proper condition and has an appropriate sump capacity to run the interval it shouldn’t have a problem.
i wouldn't recommend an oral analysis :ROFLMAO:

Thread starter Gene K has been absent here at BITOG several months.
Let us know you're fine Gene. You were once a busy participator here and for quite a while.

Reactions: 4WD
yea, and? you are posting here too. i don't see what the big deal is.
Most normal people don’t bump 2 year old threads just to post what you posted so it boggles the mind and people are inquisitive as to the why.

I’m going to weigh in here on the vehicles in my sig using the newer M1 5W30 EP SP D1/Gen3 rated “Triple Action” oil : This is definitely a different formulation than the older SN rated oil . Without scientific analysis I can say that my engines run quieter and smoother on it than previous M1 5W30 EP which was noisier and not as smooth in my engines . I used the previous M1 5W30 for the typical clean internals M1 was noted for but didn’t care for the noise / lack of smoothness of engines while running . This new M1 is a different animal and I must say I like it a lot . Even though I change my oil out closer to severe service schedules , I am going to get a UOA done for grins to see how the oil is actually performing in my GDI Hyundai at 4,000 miles OCI and go from there . My other two engines are older technology PFI engines which should be s cake walk for this M1 EP oil . Lastly, at on $2 more than regular / vanilla M1 5W30 oil - why not use M1 EP oil (in case you have a sudden urge to drive across the country) ?

Back