Mobil 1 Extended Performance Warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
I e-mailed XM and ask them if their M1 EP oil warranty was for a pre determined set of miles like Valvolines is, 300,000. There reply " Our warranty is based on any time that you utilize the product that you will not have an oil lubrication related failure, it does not matter how many miles you have on the vehicle;. So that seems to be an easier warranty to follow, 15,000 mile OCI verses 3000 for Valvoline. Of course they exclude extreme conditions like heavy dust, racing, commerical use, etc.
With that said I think oil company warranties are pretty much useless, but I could be wrong.

If the oil level were full for the entire 15,000 mile interval, I doubt any oil(even dino) could cause an oil related failure per instance of use. So their warranty is pretty useless it seems. If extreme wear were caused during that interval, wouldn't it take quite a while and perhaps successive instances to culminate in an oil related failure?

It would be interesting to see the EP in use in a sludge machine like the Toyota V-6. If it sludged up do you think XOM would honor the warranty claim or would it be more likely that you'd have to sue for that benefit?

I bet the oil itself is a lot more durable than the underlying warranty on it.

Art hit it 100% correct..Kind of like Amsoil deal back 30+ years ago.

Quote:
It would be interesting to see the EP in use in a sludge machine like the Toyota V-6.

My brother has a 2001 Solara with the V6. Had 37k on it when he got it. Mobil 1 only changed every 7-10k miles. Any decent synthetic could have done the same. It now has 205,000 miles. Running Mobil 1 HM now. Car runs like new.

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
If the oil level were full for the entire 15,000 mile interval, I doubt any oil(even dino) could cause an oil related failure per instance of use. So their warranty is pretty useless it seems. If extreme wear were caused during that interval, wouldn't it take quite a while and perhaps successive instances to culminate in an oil related failure?

It would be interesting to see the EP in use in a sludge machine like the Toyota V-6. If it sludged up do you think XOM would honor the warranty claim or would it be more likely that you'd have to sue for that benefit?

I bet the oil itself is a lot more durable than the underlying warranty on it.

My daughter had a 99 Lexis with the 3.0. I changed her oil with M1 10-30 and as far as i know no sludge problems at 10,000 mile OCI. I naven't found any sludger exclusions yet for their warranty on the EP. Good point.

Originally Posted By: buster
Quote:
It would be interesting to see the EP in use in a sludge machine like the Toyota V-6.

My brother has a 2001 Solara with the V6. Had 37k on it when he got it. Mobil 1 only changed every 7-10k miles. Any decent synthetic could have done the same. It now has 205,000 miles. Running Mobil 1 HM now. Car runs like new.

Sounds like Toyota could have saved themselves a lot of grief, and angry customers, by simply mandating synthetic oil only.

Sounds like Toyota could have saved themselves a lot of grief, and angry customers, by simply mandating synthetic oil only.

I had a 1998 Camry V6 for 11 years which I sold recently. Used M1 5W-30 for every oil change, about 6-7000 mile OCI. Engine ran good as new the day I sold it.

I think the reason Toyota did not specify synthetic is because they are in very close competition with Honda and a few other automakers, and every one of the competing salesman would have had their calculators out showing potential customers how much more it cost to maintain the Toyota V6 than a Honda, etc. It is not an accident that the warranties and maintenance intervals of Honda and Toyota are usually very close or even identical.

Originally Posted By: Mark888

I had a 1998 Camry V6 for 11 years which I sold recently. Used M1 5W-30 for every oil change, about 6-7000 mile OCI. Engine ran good as new the day I sold it.

I think the reason Toyota did not specify synthetic is because they are in very close competition with Honda and a few other automakers, and every one of the competing salesman would have had their calculators out showing potential customers how much more it cost to maintain the Toyota V6 than a Honda, etc. It is not an accident that the warranties and maintenance intervals of Honda and Toyota are usually very close or even identical.

Agreed. All some people want is value.

Mileage per oci would certainly depend on how the car is driven. I have seen a high quality synthetic in very bad shape at 10,000 miles because of short trips year round, lots of idling and sitting in traffic, plus probably an engine that is poluting the oil quickly as well. Type of driving and engine condition are a big part of oil service life, as well as engine design such as the V6 Toyotas and some of the newer, direct injected/turbo Euro engines.

Originally Posted By: Mark888

It seems like they could have created spec for the sludgers though, not necessarily a full synthetic but perhaps a blend of some sort with a serious detergent package.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
Type of driving and engine condition are a big part of oil service life, as well as engine design such as the V6 Toyotas and some of the newer, direct injected/turbo Euro engines.

Toyota got their Public Relations hands slapped with that 1MZ-FE (1998-2002) issue (that issue made it to the Wall Street Journal). I doubt you'll see (anytime soon) another Toyota engine design that dances so close to the sludge line.

Originally Posted By: ericthepig
Toyota got their Public Relations hands slapped with that 1MZ-FE (1998-2002) issue (that issue made it to the Wall Street Journal). I doubt you'll see (anytime soon) another Toyota engine design that dances so close to the sludge line.

They also extended the drive train warranty a few extra years as a result of a class action suit. Fortunately, I was using a very quality synthetic and I did not need the additional coverage.

Service life, as well as engine design such as the V6 Toyotas and some of the newer, direct injected/turbo Euro engines.

Weren't you helping your friend with the Avalon that was sludged up badly? I was following that thread forever. Hope he made out OK.

You should have him put in some Mobil 1 EP. Then file a claim. Just so we can add to the BITOG knowledge base. In the name of science and litigation.

Lol just kidding.

Originally Posted By: tig1
What about this warranty? Is it worth the paper it's written on?

If you're talking about the Toyota warranty - then it actually came thru for folks. But this was at the end of a long drawn out "tooth and nail" fight where Toyota wouldn't admit nothin and wouldn't fix nothin. In the end (when public awareness became an issue) they ate crow (raw and wrapped in sea weed).

Originally Posted By: ericthepig
Originally Posted By: tig1
What about this warranty? Is it worth the paper it's written on?

If you're talking about the Toyota warranty - then it actually came thru for folks. But this was at the end of a long drawn out "tooth and nail" fight where Toyota wouldn't admit nothin and wouldn't fix nothin. In the end (when public awareness became an issue) they ate crow (raw and wrapped in sea weed).

This thread is about the M1 warranty.

Service life, as well as engine design such as the V6 Toyotas and some of the newer, direct injected/turbo Euro engines.

Weren't you helping your friend with the Avalon that was sludged up badly? I was following that thread forever. Hope he made out OK.

His son totaled the car a few weeks after completed. He went out and bought a brand new Malibu and decided he did not have the money to finish paying me for the work. Typical.

Ok, back on topic...

All M1 oils seem to handle extreme heat really, really, well. They seem to be the perfect oil for engines that sludge due to 'cooking' the oil.

I agree that as long as the oil level is maintained, you're not going to have a problem to 15k, probably even 20k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back