Mobil 1 extended performance 0w-20 10,594mi 2010 FJ Cruiser 103,444mi

That's not even remotely close to accurate. The FRAM XG (Ultra) filters, particularly before the redesign, were the best readily available filter on the market both in terms of efficiency and media selection.
Not according to several independent reviews. All verifiable on the WWW...

Fram = (removed by Mod)

Last edited by a moderator:

Fram = (removed by Mod)
Please cite your sources. Just because there are lot of amatuers who think they know filters on the web, does not convince me their dribble is credible. I am capable of making my own decisions based on research; I would gladly consider any real, professional resources you can bring forth (not internet wannabes).

Brand bashing is not tolerated on BITOG. If you have real data to back up your assertions, let's see it. Otherwise, it's a violation.

Please cite your sources. Just because there are lot of amatuers who think they know filters on the web, does not convince me their dribble is credible. I am capable of making my own decisions based on research; I would gladly consider any real, professional resources you can bring forth (not internet wannabes).

Brand bashing is not tolerated on BITOG. If you have real data to back up your assertions, let's see it. Otherwise, it's a violation.
Which exactly what you just posted. Nothing credible. Choosing to make an informed decision based on ignoring mounds of data is amateurish. Fram is well known for putting out sub par offerings.

Which exactly what you just posted. Nothing credible. Choosing to make an informed decision based on ignoring mounds of data is amateurish. Fram is well known for putting out sub par offerings.
Check the oil filter forum for photos of filters cut open.

Fram = (removed by Mod)

Filters are all tested to the same standard, using the same testing method. We had a filter testing company on here, @Ascent Filtration Testing perform an independent test of several different filters and their results were consistent with the advertised figures, which puts the FRAM Ultra (XG) at the top of the heap in terms of filtration efficiency.

This is followed by other synthetic media filters like the Royal Purple filter. The AMSOIL EaO would be similar to these two filters, also being a synthetic media product, which uses Donaldson's proprietary Synteq media.

If you have actual verified lab testing (not some yahoo on Youtube doing uncontrolled testing in his garage) please, share it in the filter section. Otherwise, you are just needlessly stirring the pot by making unsubstantiated statements about something you clearly know very little about.

That's not a good answer to my question.
You made a claim that Fram is not at all good; not me. You drew first blood, so to speak.
It's yours to prove, not mine.

There is plenty of data to prove that Fram's filters do meet their claimed filtration specs; please spend some time on our filter forum. Like all reputable filter companies, they test to industry standards and make their marketing claims. You have given me no reason to doubt what they claim.

If you disagree with the Fram filtration claims, then link your sources. We'd find credibility in actual published lab tests, certified to ISO standards, etc; not some jackwagon's YT opinion based on unproven and ill-conceived "tests". One of our members here, Jim Allen (an automotive journalist who has a passion for filtration as a side-interest), visited the Fram facility and saw first-hand their engineering and testing. He did a nice write up on it a few years ago (he was not compensated by Fram in any way for that trip, by the way). I'll take his word for it; Fram is good stuff. Is Fram the "best"? Don't know that we can say every filter they produce is "best", but they make very good products for the price point they market at. There are other very good filters out there as well; Wix, Baldwin/Hastings, Donaldson, Amsoil, Mobil 1, etc etc etc ...

If you have good, credible intel that would back up your claim, perhaps you could post it in our filter forum. Otherwise, I find your assertion that Fram is garbage (my rephrasing of your initial claim) to be dubious, unfounded, and uneducated.

Why did this 0w20 thicken after this oci?
While it looks that way it may not have. Depending on how much of the previous fill was in the sump and its viscosity, that may have an impact. There's also some variance in both production and these inexpensive UOA's so we have to keep that in mind when talking about small deviations such as this one.

Yes, oxidative thickening can happen, but I'd be surprised to see it at ~50% of the mileage expectancy of the lubricant.

Filters are all tested to the same standard, using the same testing method. We had a filter testing company on here, @Ascent Filtration Testing perform an independent test of several different filters and their results were consistent with the advertised figures, which puts the FRAM Ultra (XG) at the top of the heap in terms of filtration efficiency.

This is followed by other synthetic media filters like the Royal Purple filter. The AMSOIL EaO would be similar to these two filters, also being a synthetic media product, which uses Donaldson's proprietary Synteq media.

If you have actual verified lab testing (not some yahoo on Youtube doing uncontrolled testing in his garage) please, share it in the filter section. Otherwise, you are just needlessly stirring the pot by making unsubstantiated statements about something you clearly know very little about.
1641904193419.gif

Back