Mobil 1 extended drain ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just was wondering. We all know of the stories that are out there of real world AMSOIL users running extended drains of 20k or more with bypass filters installed. You have see all the literature on those that have not changed their oil in 120k or so just the filters and the 409k oil change in a semi truck as well.

My question is there any documentation, personal knowledge of anyone doing the same with Mobil 1? I mean is there vehicles out there running Mobil 1 with bypass filters on them and going those long 20k plus miles without a fluid change but just the filter change? I really don't hear much about those.

I was just wondering. You just seem to hear more on the AMSOIL side because that is the way it is marketed. Just wanted to hear the good stories of the same with Mobil 1. I remember when Mobil had on their bottles that it could go 25k. That was back in the day.
smile.gif
Oh to be young again.
grin.gif
Not saying I'm old but just to have that energy and not have to worry about life, bills, and all that other stuff.

Both oils are a superior product. I was just curious.

Thanks

Since extended drain intervals of 30-40k km (19-25 k mi) are common in Europe, and since Mobil oils are also common there, I'm inclined to say "yes" to your question. However, vehicles that run those extended drain intervals have engines that may differ from the same maker's export models. Those vehicles that are equipped for extended drain have also a flexible service interval monitor. That doesn't mean you can use the same oil in a car that's not properly equipped.

Also, those extended drain intervals in Europe come at a price. Engine life is now shorter than it was ten years ago. People are reluctant to buy cars with diesel engines with 200k km on it...
shocked.gif

Especially high performance out of relatively small engines, coupled with extended drain and service can't be good.

[ December 12, 2003, 07:49 AM: Message edited by: moribundman ]

Average drain intervals in Europe are 10,000 miles/16,000 km, with ACEA quality oils. Vehicles running significantly longer drains typically have 7.5-12.0 liter sumps ....TDI diesel engines all have very long drains, since their specific fuel consumption is extremely low. If you recall my "Oil Change Interval Formula", fuel consumption and sump size are two of the key parameters that determine drain intervals, along with power density, ie Hp/Cubic Inch.

Tooslick
www.lubedealer.com/dixie_synthetics

yes, Mobil 1 is absolutely as capable as Amsoil at extended drains. There TBN is 12 not 8.7 like AJ claims it is.
rolleyes.gif

I have been running 15k intervals for a very long time INXS of 650k miles. 5 TLC's, Z06 Corvette, VW Jetta TDI (Mobil Delvac 1) One TLC I have sold had app 250k miles. The 2001 Z06 Corvette is pushing 60k. No problems or concerns whatsoever. If I ever have a question or concern there is always oil analysis!
grin.gif

Years back, I was in touch with a retired Mobil sales engineer. He ran his Mobil 1 for 20-25,000 miles, doing oil analysis every 10,0oo or so.

In my opinion, the merger of equals between Exxon and Mobil was a bit more equal for Exxon. I think that the reformulation used more Exxon technology than Mobil, and that there was some cost-engineering.

Having said that, AMSOIL has been designed for extended drains for over 30 years. Mobil 1 is an excellent oil, but I don't think that they are particularly interested in extended drains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back