Mobil 1 every 3000 or Redline every 5000?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which combo would be the best for keeping the engine clean and the wear low?

The car it would be used in is a 1993 Thunderbird with the 5.0L V8. It sees a lot of freeway driving, but also a lot of racing (at the track and impromptu).

Thanks and let me know!

I would say the Redline...and I would go over 5k miles with it. I am recently just switched from Mobil 1 to Redline, about 4k miles ago, and I can already tell a difference. The redline is definately holding up better than the Mobil 1 did, but I will be doing an oil analysis report at 6-7k miles of the Redline to get some hard numbers.

Either one will work fine but you could go way longer than 5k on either of them, and definitely way longer than 3k for sure. Dumping good synthetic at 3k is a waste, if you're gonna do that you might as well use dino oil.

quote:

Originally posted by Ghost SS:
I I can already tell a difference. The redline is definately holding up better than the Mobil .

How are you able to determine this? Just curious.

quote:

Originally posted by Al:

quote:

I I can already tell a difference. The redline is definately holding up better than the Mobil .

How are you able to determine this? Just curious.

Me too!
confused.gif

How about either one of them at 7500 miles. Just use the 10w-30 and go with the Mobil 1 for it's availability(sp?) If you really want, change the filter out at 4K, add a half quart, and you are definately good for the 7.5K change with the freeway driving you state.

Either one should be fine to 7500 and beyond.

I'm with Patman, 3k interval is waste. I run conventional oil longer than 3k...

I'm an M1 fan with leanings toward Schaeffer's.

For a high mileage V-8 that is also raced, I think I'd go with the Redline 10w-40. This is based on the oil analysis data from Jasons' BMW and Satterfi's motorcycle, using this specific formulation.

I think the Mobil 1, 10w-30 is probably going to be a bit too thin for this application, so if you went that route the 0w-40 or even 15w-50 - in hot weather only - would be my first choice.

quote:

I would say the Redline...and I would go over 5k miles with it. I am recently just switched from Mobil 1 to Redline, about 4k miles ago, and I can already tell a difference. The redline is definately holding up better than the Mobil 1 did, but I will be doing an oil analysis report at 6-7k miles of the Redline to get some hard numbers.

I just pulled the analysis spreadsheet off of the Maxima.org forum and it doesn't appear to me that Redline holds any advantage over either Amsoil or M-1. In fact, it might not even be as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back