Mobil 1 EURO 0w40 in lawn mowers and other small engines.....

Hi everyone,
I recently posted a question in the motorcycle forum about using Mobil 1 0w40 Euro oil in my ATV's, but what about using this oil in small engines? This oil has a great reputation in the passenger car forum, but people don't mention it's use in small engines. Will it offer better protection for small engines? Is it worth it? Are there any downsides to using this oil?

Thank you!

Hi everyone,
I recently posted a question in the motorcycle forum about using Mobil 1 0w40 Euro oil in my ATV's, but what about using this oil in small engines? This oil has a great reputation in the passenger car forum, but people don't mention it's use in small engines. Will it offer better protection for small engines? Is it worth it? Are there any downsides to using this oil?

Thank you!
I can't see why you would need a 0w-X oil in New Jersey, unless you live up in that far northwest corner and are using it for a snow blower or generator in winter.
Why would there be a down side? It probably one of the best oils on the market from a major oil company.
Because a 0w-40 will be more reliant on VIIIs to maintain the 40 rating at 100C and will also likely have a lower HTHS viscosity which is measure at 150C. Air cooled OPE runs hot.

I wouldn’t voluntarily run an expensive oil like M1 0w-40 in a mower unless all the cheap 15w-40 jugs were sold out. I’ve been running cheap diesel oil in my B&S 22hp mower and at 600+ hours that thing was beautiful when I opened it up to replace the leaking sump gasket. It looked like it just left the factory.

I have used Euro oil in a number of machines for years, typically stuff that sees year round use where a 15w40 might be a bit thick for winter.

No downside to using it. NJ doesn't get the constant 100f summers of gulf coast states. It will help starting motors in NW NJ stored outside that need to start in winter. I live there. It's required oil in my 4S 1200cc Ski Doo's that operate normally at 5k to 8k rpm BTW.
Using too good of an oil will never hurt these little OPE motors.

How do you calculate HTHS if it's not listed ? I see they list it on some oils but , not all on the Mobil 1 website. Thanks

M1 15w50 HTHS is 4.5 .

Last edited:
I use have left over in all my ope which are mostly Honda commercial engines. Usually HDEO 5W-40 from the tractor or 0W40 M1 from the gas vehicles. The M1 0W-40 works Great. OPE engines aren't high stress engines.

I'm joining the Mobil 1 0w-40 in OPE club today :) I pay more for a quart of 10w-30 synthetic.

I've been running M1 0W-40 in my snow blower and lawn mower for a few years now. I don't have any data to show that it protects the engines any better than the straight 30 that I used to run. But both engines run quieter and smoother. I am a believer in M1 0W-40 in small engines.

No reason not to run it since it’s the same price as other name brand synthetics. I use it in a few of my vehicles so I already have it on hand as well.

I’d use any A3/B4 with the VW502 spec interchangeably. Mobil, Castrol, Pennzoil etc. Buy what is on sale and/ or has a rebate.

Back