Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 Noack is 7.9%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
I sent an email to ExxonMobil to find out the Noack value for their new formula of Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 and they responded back that it's 7.9%. The old version, called ESP Formula 5w30 supposedly had a Noack of 5.6% but that was through independent testing so it's unclear whether or not that number could be trusted.

When my supply of ESP Formula 5w30 runs out (I have enough for the next 5 oil changes in the Corvette) I think I will start using this new 5w30 ESP (Canadian Tire is now starting to stock it in 1 quart bottles at $16.29 each)

Wow that's great to hear. Very low for a 5W-30. If only it were easier to find for a decent price.

XOM has always been great at answering technical questions via email.

I'm very surprised that Patman got an answer....that's still better than M1 5W30 AP if we trust the PQIA's 8.5%.
I think the Russian Oil Club and Amsoil (big comparison test ad) both had M1 5W30 ESP Formula at close to 6%, never saw any figure from XOM on that one.

I have had a difficult time getting info from ExxonMobil in the past (they usually don't respond at all!) and this one got bounced from one department to another before I finally got an answer. The first guy to answer said that they usually don't publish that info but if I really wanted to know the answer he would forward the email to another department (of course I wanted the answer, why else would I email them?) Before he forwarded it to the right department though, he kept asking me questions (like what car do I want to use it in, etc.)

Originally Posted by StevieC
Great info, thanks Pat!

No problem! What I don't understand is that if they have this info from their testing, why not share it on the technical data page on their website? Even if not many people know what it means, I'm sure few people know what HTHS means also and they always include that info.

Originally Posted by Patman
I sent an email to ExxonMobil to find out the Noack value for their new formula of Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 and they responded back that it's 7.9%. The old version, called ESP Formula 5w30 supposedly had a Noack of 5.6% but that was through independent testing so it's unclear whether or not that number could be trusted.

When my supply of ESP Formula 5w30 runs out (I have enough for the next 5 oil changes in the Corvette) I think I will start using this new 5w30 ESP (Canadian Tire is now starting to stock it in 1 quart bottles at $16.29 each)

It seems generally that NOCAK went up a bit compared to VISOM base they used before.
Still, great news, and good NOACK value.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
I'm very surprised that Patman got an answer....that's still better than M1 5W30 AP if we trust the PQIA's 8.5%.
I think the Russian Oil Club and Amsoil (big comparison test ad) both had M1 5W30 ESP Formula at close to 6%, never saw any figure from XOM on that one.

This oil will be better than anything ILSAC-GF5.
That 6% was old VISOM based. But that one had some serious numbers in other categories too. IMO new version seems bit watered down.

Originally Posted by edyvw

This oil will be better than anything ILSAC-GF5.
That 6% was old VISOM based. But that one had some serious numbers in other categories too. IMO new version seems bit watered down.

I'm still a little bit bummed about that, I do love the specs on the ESP Formula 5w30, one of the ones that really stands out in my mind is the 0.6% Sulfated Ash.

But like I mentioned, I do have a good supply of the original formula still, and still plan on buying up more of it as I travel to different Canadian Tire locations (I have cleaned out the stock from all of the CT locations within a half hour radius of my house and will expand my search to further locations in the future)

Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by StevieC
Great info, thanks Pat!

No problem! What I don't understand is that if they have this info from their testing, why not share it on the technical data page on their website? Even if not many people know what it means, I'm sure few people know what HTHS means also and they always include that info.

It seems silly to me as well.

Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46
Very low for a 5W-30.

Not really, given that this is a non-ILSAC 5W-30 and it has a thicker base oil, hence the lower NOACK. There is nothing special about it.

According to MSDS, it's about 1/2 GTL with a dash of PAO (less than 5%). As we know, it also has some ester (2 - 10%). The rest would be Group III.

The older version (ESP Formula) may have had more ester and/or an even thicker base oil, explaining its lower NOACK. It had no GTL though, only the Visom Group III+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back