Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 507 oil

Hi gents,

As some of you may be aware, I'm not a M1 fan.. lol but today after some scouring shelves in all my favorite spots I finally found some approved 507 oil for my new Passat TDi. It was on sale at NAPA for $5.69 a qt so I scarfed some up! Any recent VOA's on this stuff? I'm very leary of putting a seemingly PCMO in my diesel Yes I'm old school and I know it meets the specs from VAG but CAFE influences automotive groups way more than they should and I want engine protection as my Number 1 priority.

Does this oil contain a high PAO or Ester Content? Anyone know? Once I finish my OCI with the Rotella T6 in the sump I may dump this in....
21.gif

Last edited:
the MSDS will likely give you at least some preliminary insight as to PAO content, unfortunately it is unlikely to tell you much else.

Great oil imo, probably one of the best offered by XOM. You got a good price too.

it was primarily made for Euro cars. What does CAFE has to do with it?

There are a bunch of UOA's for it. Note that there are two versions of it, the "Formula" version is older, and comes in 1 liter bottles. The Napa near me was still selling this version not long ago. The newer version is in QT. bottles. If you search here, you should find VOA's on both.

Here's a VOA on the newer version (you'll need Google translate): https://www.oil-club.ru/forum/topic/34484-mobil1-esp-5w-30-%D1%81%D0%B2%D0%B5%D0%B6%D0%B5%D0%B5-new-2018/

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
the MSDS will likely give you at least some preliminary insight as to PAO content, unfortunately it is unlikely to tell you much else.

[Linked Image]

The SDS doesn't say much

Originally Posted by blufeb95
Originally Posted by OVERKILL

[Linked Image]

The SDS doesn't say much

Based on JOD's post, that's the "Formula" version and the old one. Current MSDS for the non-Formula version:
[Linked Image]

1-5% PAO, 30-40% GTL if I'm remembering the CAS number correctly.

Edit: Just checked the old MSDS for M1 FS 0w-40 I had that specifically called out GTL and the CAS # is the same, so yes, it is 30-40% GTL here.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys, so nothing stellar as far as PAO content....

VW pushes a 10k mile OCI on this car and I just can't bring myself to do that unless the oil is of VERY high quality.

Originally Posted by racin4ds

VW pushes a 10k mile OCI on this car and I just can't bring myself to do that unless the oil is of VERY high quality.

PAO is not synonymous with quality. Some of the junkiest euro oils out there are PAO (Ex, BMW LL98) based on some 20 yr old defunct cert.

on a diesel especially, it'll be more than fine.

I'd worry more about the other fluids, such as transmission and coolant. While the coolant itself I'm sure is fine, plugged heater cores aren't uncommon on that car. Getting the contaminants out of the cooling system can only help.

I wouldn't wait on the DSG fluid and filter, either.

I had a diesel Passat 2013 for almost seven years. I used the Castrol stuff from the dealer (507) and always went 10,000 miles between oil changes. Nary a problem. I traded in on a gas passat 2019 with the long warranty because of some health conditions I have at age 72. My wife feels more comfortable with gasoline.

Enjoy the Passat! I always enjoyed mine. It was a great car! Make sure to use Power Service White bottle in the winter when and if you drive north as Florida fuel won't be winterized. Service the DSG faithfully at 40,000 mile intervals.

This oil is certified long life to 20k interval in Europe/UK. Don't sweat it.

Hi gents,

As some of you may be aware, I'm not a M1 fan.. lol but today after some scouring shelves in all my favorite spots I finally found some approved 507 oil for my new Passat TDi. It was on sale at NAPA for $5.69 a qt so I scarfed some up! Any recent VOA's on this stuff? I'm very leary of putting a seemingly PCMO in my diesel Yes I'm old school and I know it meets the specs from VAG but CAFE influences automotive groups way more than they should and I want engine protection as my Number 1 priority.

Does this oil contain a high PAO or Ester Content? Anyone know? Once I finish my OCI with the Rotella T6 in the sump I may dump this in....
21.gif

Works really good in my Honda Civic 1.6 diesel. Many using this oil in my country. The oil is a better alternativ than the Rotella in that engine

Better? How?

Not to be a contrarian, but sounds like a 'feeling' or 'personal bias'.

Need facts please.

I used exhaustively previous version of that oil which was so called VISOM based or mostly Group III. It was by far number wise the best oil in that categeroy with HTHS of 3.58, KV100 12.1, Noack 5.6% (which is astonishing result).
Current version is GTL based with mixture of other base oils, mainly Group III. However, as previous version proved, final result is what matters. Noack jumped to 7.1% which is still great result, HTHS is 3.5, and KV100 as far as I remember 11.9. Sulfated ash went from 0.6 to 0.8.
I always liked M1 507.00 oils as M1 when it comes to Euro approvals is not playing games. What is really interesting about previous and current version is that they also meet C2 specification, which is for oils with HTHS below 3.5, which means that fuel economy wise, while still HTHS above 3.5, actually it can achieve fuel economy of oils in C2 category.
I used previous version in BMW X5 35d and it showed great results, while I could actually see mpg improvement compared to Valvoline 5W40 MST I was also using.
CAFE does not have anything to do with that oil as it is made for Euro cars (CAFE applies only in the US). In every aspect it is better than Rotella or similar oils as they will not have such low Noack or SAPS numbers (DPF longevity).

Originally Posted by tundraotto
Better? How?

Not to be a contrarian, but sounds like a 'feeling' or 'personal bias'.

Need facts please.

its not my feeling... my fact is the approval on the bottle.

In a similar fashion, member Gokhan had a post a couple weeks ago outlining how the Dexos 2 version of Mobil-ESP was a little better oil than the competing Rotella Multi-Vehicle label.

VW is the same company that states the transmission oil is "lifetime" and never needs to be changed. Regardless of the quality of motor oil used, after 5000 miles there will be lots of diesel byproducts, acids and combustion contaminants in the oil, and obviously double that at 10,000 miles. For the small cost of a couple gallons of oil and a filter, I change mine out around 5000 miles for peace of mind and an added safety factor. I suppose for someone putting on tons of highway miles and not towing much, the oil change frequency can be extended.

Originally Posted by JordanR

VW is the same company that states the transmission oil is "lifetime" and never needs to be changed. Regardless of the quality of motor oil used, after 5000 miles there will be lots of diesel byproducts, acids and combustion contaminants in the oil, and obviously double that at 10,000 miles. For the small cost of a couple gallons of oil and a filter, I change mine out around 5000 miles for peace of mind and an added safety factor. I suppose for someone putting on tons of highway miles and not towing much, the oil change frequency can be extended.

I certainly agree, especially with it being a pollution choked diesel... I'll be changing mine every 5000-7000 miles tops!

Back