Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 - 2020 Hyundai Tucson (2.0L Nu GDI) 4171km

Ran this oil for 6m over the winter. Severe service intervals are 6m or 6000km so I'm not looking to go further, especially under warranty. The car sees frequent short drives, but I do make an effort to make sure it goes up to temperature by going the long way 'round on occasion. I also started it and left it idling as I shoveled the driveway many times. Thankfully it looks like the oil and engine are both handling all that just fine. I don't find myself having to add any oil throughout the OCI either.

8wWK7Hxh.png

Looks very, very good.

Oil in range for grade, no antifreeze, very low silicon, flash point is high, low fuel presence in the oil.

Nothing wrong about that.

At only 2500 miles, I'm not certain attributing it to the oil is accurate. It's a very good UOA, but it better be unless some mechanical issue exists, even for a GDi. But I understand warranty requirements dictate here.

Wear metals are excellent even given the short distance.
However given frequent short drives over the winter and
low viscosity stated fuel content (again) seems unrealistic.
Or vice versa viscosity is. Anyway, a very typical BS issue.

Just picked up a 2019 Tucson for my wife with the same engine. Has 33K on it. Thinking about this oil for it. Maybe it's the cold weather up in Canada, but seems it was almost out of grade after 2,700 miles.

I don't know how much cold contributes, but I saw a similar drop in viscosity over the same distance/time with very similar driving in 2.7 Ecoboost using RGT. The 2.7 uses direct injection during warm up and I have heard that it uses extra fuel on the exhaust cycle to warm the cats faster, perhaps sacrificing fuel to speed decrease the amount of time the emissions systems are not effective. If true, wasting gas to save emissions is hard to get your head around. But maybe just hearsay. I'd like to know the answer or if there is a way to drive longer than 3k miles and still be in the recommended grade. Does anyone know if the HTHS viscosity would be changed the same percentage at the 100C viscosity?

Just picked up a 2019 Tucson for my wife with the same engine. Has 33K on it. Thinking about this oil for it. Maybe it's the cold weather up in Canada, but seems it was almost out of grade after 2,700 miles.
The car rarely sees highway use. I'd say an hour or two max on the highway for that entire 6 month period. It's all relatively short drives and long idling. I'm guessing that may be hard on the oil. I'm running the same oil again so I might do another analysis in the fall to see how summer usage compares.

Back