Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 vs. Mobil 1 ESP M 5W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've come across the ESP M version for Mercedes vehicles, and was wondering out of curiosity if the base/additive package is the same as the 5W-30 version.

The 5W-30 is almost a 5W-40, whilst the 5W-40 is only slightly thicker than the 5W-30. It appears the 5W-30 is French and the 5W-40 is American, with the later being significantly cheaper - $52 for a pack of 6 vs. $105. Could this be because the 5W-40 does not have all the other (BMW, VW, etc.) approvals and hence that's driven down the cost? Or a cheaper base stock perhaps?

I use Mobil 1 ESP 5w40 on my VW Jetta Wagon CR TDI since its low SAPS just like ESP 5W30, it just more available in my area. I get lucky and find it cheap at Napa once a year when they run their mobil $5.99 qt deals, I usually stock up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
I've come across the ESP M version for Mercedes vehicles, and was wondering out of curiosity if the base/additive package is the same as the 5W-30 version.

The 5W-30 is almost a 5W-40, whilst the 5W-40 is only slightly thicker than the 5W-30. It appears the 5W-30 is French and the 5W-40 is American, with the later being significantly cheaper - $52 for a pack of 6 vs. $105. Could this be because the 5W-40 does not have all the other (BMW, VW, etc.) approvals and hence that's driven down the cost? Or a cheaper base stock perhaps?

For your area ESP M might be more appropriate.

Got me 12 quarts, which should do until the OLM zeros out. I change the filter based on the OLM, and do a simple drain and refill when it hits the 50% mark.

Initial fill with the filter is 7 liters, half way drain and refill is 6 liters, so 12 liters should do the trick. Average is 15,000-16,000 km (9,375-10,000 miles) before the OLM closes on the zero mark.

I reckon there'll be a slightly (maybe not even noticable) drag on the engine, given this is a hint thicker than the 5W-30 version, but that should be about it. $8.70 a pop is quite a bit cheaper than $13.97 for the 5W-30 version, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back